2003 CFL Grey Cup (R)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DoyleG, Nov 13, 2003.

1. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sunday, November 16
    Edmotnon (13-5) v. Montreal (13-5)
    6pm EST CBC/RDS (In Canada) America One/YES (In the US)

Early bets make the Esks the favorites.:D

2. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    This looks like another classic, much like their clashes in the 50's and 70's. Will 50,000 show up? I hope the Rider fans can drag themselves out of their sorrows (and put away their banjos :D) long enough to make it a great spectacle.

Sadly though, the halftime act is Bryan Adams. After all, the Canadian Government has had to apologize for him on any number of occasions.

3. kwik1980

kwik1980 New Member

May 27, 2003
    Norwich, NY
    A note to those watching on YES, the game is on tape delay, and won't start until 8pm

4. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    There are a lot of tickets to be had in the local classifieds, but I popped into Regina today and the mood seemed to be good. There was a lot of activity and hype and a lot of people won't start flooding in until Friday.

I think the seats will be full. It's a lot of money to spend on tickets and not go. I'm not sure how loud the crowd will be though. Riders fans are bitter about losing to Edmonton, they also really hate Mtl coach Don Matthews and they have a sense of duty to cheer for the western team, but a week after a defeat like that? We'll see I guess. The forecasts of rain have died off, but it's also supposed to be a little colder than they thought. Still -3C at kickoff is waaaay better than the -15 it was two weekends ago.

Tom Sheppard, who has done pretty much everything for the Riders is trying to get fans to cheer for Edmonton and support the west. Considering his press box antics after the interference call on the on-side kick in the west final was reported in the Edmonton papers, it strikes me as odd, he'd be backing the Esks, but so be it.

cheers,
    hobbes

5. slipknotter

slipknotter New Member

May 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What's the difference between a rouge and a safety? The CFL site makes it sound like it's the same thing.

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Edmonton draws first blood. Mike Pringle runs in from 4 yards out for a TD.

7-0 Esks

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    7-0 Esks after the first quater.

Esks reciever Ed Hervey has left the game with a suspected groin pull.

8. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    14-0

Jason Tucker with a 41 yard TD run on a 2nd and 12.

9. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Pat Woodcock catches one from 5 yards out to give the Als some breathing room. 14-7

The man is a terrible dancer.:D

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2nd Quarter scores
    Sylvain Girard with a 32 yard TD for the Als.
    14-14

Keith Stokes fubles an Esks punt which gives Edmonton back control of the ball. Jason Tucker takes in a 20 yard pass from Ray for his second of the night.
    21-14

Calvillo to Cahoon for a 27 yard TD.
    21-21

Stokes fumbles another another ball and the Esks recover. Sean Flemming hits a FG for the Green and Gold

Halftime
    Edmonton 24 Montreal 21

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Kellet gets a rouge off a 70 yard punt.

24-22 Esks

12. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ray rushes in for a TD from short distance for an Esks TD in the 4th quarter.

31-22 Esks.

13. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sean Felmming hits a FG witha minute left in the 4th to seal the win.

Final
    Edmonton 34 Montreal 21

EDMONTON ESKIMOS WIN THE 2003 GREY CUP!!!!!!!!!

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Full stat line for the game

Edmonton 34
    Ricky Ray
    22 for 32, 301 yds and 2 TD's. Rushed for another

Jason Tucker
    7 Catches for 132 yds and 2 TD's

Mike Pringle
    17 Carries for 70 yds and 1 TD

Scored 13 points on turnovers.

Montreal 22
    Anthony Calvillo
    22 for 37, 371 yds and 2 TD's

Ben Cahoon
    6 Catches for 148 Yds and 1 TD

Germain Copeland
    8 Catches for 102 Yds and 1 TD

MVP: Jason Tucker
    Outstanding Canadian: Ben Cahoon

Attendance: 50,909

15. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pardon my ignorance, but what's a rouge?

Sounded like an exciting game

16. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    A safety is worth two points. A rouge (called 'a single' by basically everyone) is worth one point. Our goal posts are at the goal line. So anytime a punt goes into the end zone and isn't run out, a field isn't run out or a field goal or punt goes through the end zone you get a single point.

In this case Kellett kicked a 70-yard punt through the end zone.

It was a fun weekend. I was really impressed by the atmosphere. The Riders fan woke up out their depression by Friday and the Bomber fans were in party mode all week. Esks fans were in good form too. Crowd was seriously behind the Esks, I didn't think it would be that decisive.

I can't believe Mtl started Johnson and Williams on the corner. Hervey was ready for about a 200-yard day against Johnson until he got hurt.

cheers,
    hobbes

P.S. oh and Ben Cahoon made one of the sickest catches I've ever seen. One handed, leaping, diving catch at the four to set up the first Mtl TD.

17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 more stupid American questions:

1) After a rouge (touch back) the recievers get the ball at the 35? What is that?

2) Are all punts and missed field goals live balls?

18. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Not exactly a classic, but better than most Super Bowls. Thank God, Bryan Adams played "Summer of '69." The announcer made a crack about not lip-synching. Was that in reference to Shania Twain?

Hobbes and Doyle can check me on this but I think that when you're scored upon, you have the option of taking the kickoff or scrimmaging the ball from the 35 yard line. I think it's automatic when the single is scored on a kickoff or punt. If a field goal attempt hits the goal post, it's a dead ball and the other team gets it on the 25.

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That was that "pinko-Commie" Brian Williams saying that. He isn't hard to spot in TO. He drives a Lada.:D

The 35 Yard Line option would only apply to a FG. When a FG is scored, the team scored on has the option of taking it from their own 35 or have it kicked to them.

20. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    All missed FGs and all punts are live, but you have to give five yards to the receiving team to catch/recover the ball. Unless you're on side. This makes more sense to anyone who follows rugby. On punts/FG the kicker and anyone lined behind him can recover the ball inside the five-yard restraining zone.

Why the 35 after a single? Same reason as the 20 in NFL, I have no idea. It offers a reward for surrendering a point. Most singles occur when one team decides to take the field position and sacrifice the point.

As Doyle said you can start at your 35 after giving up a FG and after a touchdown it's the team who is scored upons choice to kick or to receive. I don't know if they have that rule in US football, but you certainly don't see it often. The only time I can remember is when a team was scored upon late, fell behind and decided that an on-side kick was more likely than a big return to get them to within hail mary distance.

cheers,
    hobbes