2002 Gold Cup articles, standings and general discussion [R implicit]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by piper, Oct 17, 2002.

1. piper

piper New Member

April Heinrichs and Defender Brandi Chastain Discuss 2002 CONCACAF Women's Gold Cup

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=23176&itype=

Why not just bring the U-13's? I'm SURE, just sure their magnificent. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, I'm just bitter. :D

2. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    April Heinrichs and Defender Brandi Chastain Discuss 2002 CONCACAF Women's Gold Cup

You just beat me to posting the link.

I especially liked this part:

She's got that right. According to the manager of a local rec league, the state of Washington has the highest participation in soccer than any other region, for any sport.

Speaking of Seattle...

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heinrichs speaking about the hostile fans in WWC'91 and this past year's Youth World Cup:
    Non-hostile? Against Mexico in the Rose Bowl?

For the US Men, the Rose Bowl has been an away game when they have played hispanic countries. What's the expected fan mix for the women's game?

4. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Don't worry, Nat. Our women's team can still play home games in the largest urban areas in the country. They need not fear that droves of Latin American fans will show up to root against the damn yanquis.

Unlike as it has for you and me, women's soccer has not quite captured the imagination of the typical Latin American soccer male soccer fan. These fans will readily acknowledge that the women play a skilled quality game of soccer, but they themselves tend not to be into watching it.

Most of the Rose Bowl crowd will be solidly pro-USA during the Women's Gold Cup. Rest easy. The USWNT will in fact be the home team in the Rose Bowl against Mexico.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    2002 Gold Cup articles and general discussion thread

From today's USA Today:

Task for women's team: Earn World Cup berth
    By Joseph D'Hippolito, special to USA TODAY

------------------

Dear mods: I really didn't know what to do with this thread and link. I almost stuck it in the Roster thread. I almost stuck it in the other USA Today thread. I was stressing out :D.

So I figured to just start a thread where general articles and discussion could go for the next couple of weeks. I figure there will be several non-game specific articles popping up here and there in the various cities.

Specific game discussion/articles could go in their own pre/post match thread.

Or should have I just started a pre-Mexico discussion thread?

Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to edit this thread if need be.

6. clavs

clavs Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Thanks, Fear. I've merged the earlier thread with an article from US Soccer into yours. I'll also sticky the thread for the course of the Gold Cup.

Sure you don't want to be a mod? ;)

7. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is an article dated 10/24/02 at european womens soccer entitled "U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team." It has paragraphs on the Rose Bowl, qualifying, the "O'Reilly Factor," etc...

http://www.europeanwomenssoccer.com/

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  11. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Can anyone tell me if I got this table right:

Code:
    	W	L	T	Pts	GF	GA	GD
    US	1	0	0	3	3	0	3
    Panama	1	0	0	3	4	2	2
    TnT	0	1	0	0	0	2	-2
    Mexico	0	1	0	0	0	3	-3

-----------------------

Article from CyberSoccerNews:

U.S. women prepare for Gold Cup
    Milbrett and Heinrichs size up the competition while O'Reilly hopes for a chance
    by Llew Llewellyn

[​IMG]
    © 2002 Juan Miranda Foto/LA Galaxy

12. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Courtesy of LoTheLurker

From the Orange County Register:

Fawcett reaches milestone match
    SoccerShe will play for the United States for the 200th time tonight against Trinidad and Tobago.
    By SCOTT M. REID
    The Orange County Register

For you Aly Wagner fans...

From the Pasadena Star News:

Wagner makes an impact
    By Fred J. Robledo , Staff Writer

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    BS has been running like crap the past 30 mins. It better not be like this tonight for the PBP. If it is screw it I'll take it to AIM...

From Fox Sports:

RIPPLES: USA's golden girls aim for Gold Cup title
    BY NICK WEBSTER
    FOX Sports World
    Oct. 28, 2002 4:17 p.m.

15. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Photo Update

Kristine Lilly's web site has been updated with some TREMENDOUS photos of the time before the 1st qualifier.... definitely a must-see web site :D

16. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Re: Photo Update

Her "official" website? That's www.kristinelilly13.com for those who might not know (like I didn't until about 30 seconds ago. Google is my friend!). Thanks for the heads up! :)

17. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Ah..

my apologies for not posting the link.... loong day and emotionally beat from work... next time.. a link! :)

18. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    Just visited Kristine's site. Those pics are great! But did anyone notice that Brandi's in almost every one? Talk about being born for the spotlight!

19. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Mexico? You really think so?

20. clavs

clavs Member

Jun 14, 2000
  21. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  22. clavs

clavs Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Interesting stuff:

"Until four months ago, Panama never had a senior women's team. Women's soccer began there nine years ago on an amateur basis. Of the 20 players on Panama's roster, 13 are younger than 20.

With that youth, Panama coach Roberto Sala hopes to take the game to the USA as opposed to playing defensively. "Kill or be killed," he says.

U.S. forward Mia Hamm says the Women's Gold Cup serves a valuable role for countries such as Panama.

"It's a barometer for them in terms of what they need to do to strengthen their teams and to continue putting money in them," she says. "That's exciting for all of us.""

23. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  24. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    11/1 from seattle post intelligencer:

All drive, no cruise, for US Soccer Team