2002 College Football Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jeff, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Re: Re: God's still (sorta) smilin' on th' Gators...

Once Georgia beats the Vols for the Third year in a row, ends the jinx against the Gators and wins the SEC East, will you "give a XXXX" then?

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: God's still (sorta) smilin' on th' Gators...

Fixed your post.

I used to think Georgia was The Best School Not To Win A Conferece Title In A While, but after I gave it some thought, I realized that Georgia won the SEC in '76, won a National title in '80 with Herschel, the SEC in '81 and '82, and promptly went back where they belong- someplace between Alabama/Florida and Kentucky/Vanderbilt. For all their local support and hype, they're about even with LSU and Arkansas- two schools who have at least won their division of the SEC. Schools that have not? Ole Miss, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina and Georgia. People around here like to say "we're coming back", but the reality is that they were never "there"- they had one great run with Herschel Walker, and that is all. They should beat Florida and Yew Tee and win the SEC this year, but hey, even LSU won the SEC last year.

Georgia Tech is the state program with Tradition. They've won their conference since Georgia won theirs, they've won the National Championship since Georgia won theirs, and they have almost as many SEC titles as Georgia. They lost to Georgia last year, and seem to have an inferiority complex where gridiron is concerned- I guess it's because the inbreds who can't get into anyone's college (let alone Tech) support Georgia as much as the students and alumni- sometimes even more. This happens at Alabama and Auburn, too.

LOL, Oman, I don't care any more about the Dawgs than I do about the Tide. I just live here.

3. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I am just cross because I think you are referring to UT as Tennessee.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    UT, [Spurrier]Yew Tee[/Spurrier]- they're both references to the school in Knoxville that won a national title (regardless of the fact that it took many unusual events for this to happen) in '98.

The Longhorns gotta win a national championship to get their initials back, bro.

5. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Re: Re: Re: God's still (sorta) smilin' on th' Gators...

Unlike Ole Miss, the Dawgs are in the eastern division which has been dominated by Florida and Tennessee since dividing into two divisions. UK and Vandy have never come close, and USC only a couple of times. Georgia has been on the doorstep. Unfortunately, except for beating Florida in '97 and the current two game winning streak against UT, we really haven't been able to open it.

Georgia Tech is in the much weaker ACC, and even weaker before FSU joined it. How can you compare winning the ACC with winning the SEC?

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: Re: Re: God's still (sorta) smilin' on th' Gators...

This may be the year. If Florida doesn't improve soon, the Dawgs could beat them. Saturday's result wasn't so much about Florida's dominance as UT's ineptitude. Georgia should beat them as well. But they(UGA)'ve never really had the sort of dynasty that their following would suggest. Maybe Auburn and UF hurt their recruiting.

On UF- I don't think Spurrier's effect on Florida will go away anytime soon. They're now a place to go play ball, regardless of who the coach is (Bear Bryant said 30 years ago that the conference would change forever if the Gators ever got their act together), and the state has enough talent to give three schools Top Ten programs. Makes you wonder why Free Shoes University and Miami took so long to get good. The rest of the country should be thankful that these 3 schools play each other pretty often.

I can't and don't. I'm simply saying that Tech has the edge in tradition, and that Georgia holds sway over the masses anyway. It wouldn't matter if Tech was still in the SEC. Georgia is the bigger draw.

7. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Eagles play hard..

True. No big deep threat or consistent TE play to keep the (co)Cane D on their heels.

The Eagles will do its best to keep ND's title hopes grounded.

8. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Re: Re: Re: God's still (sorta) smilin' on th' Gators...

This is almost all true, and very well stated. Georgia fans all seem to have this delusion that they have one of the nation's elite football programs, when that couldn't be further from the truth. LSU fans tend to be the same way, and I don't get it. One national championship 20 years ago does not a standard bearer make. But hey, at least UGA has that championship, which is more than you can say for LSU.

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: Re: Re: God's still (sorta) smilin' on th' Gators...

I'm not sure of the year, but LSU won a NC in the late fifties. I think I remember reading somewhere that Arkansas did, too, with Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson as teammates.

10. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: God's still (sorta) smilin' on th' Gators...

Everybody's All-American is based on that team.

11. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I'm not sold on ND at all, though I like Willingham as a coach. Michigan would be 1-3 if not for Utah's RB being out and Rick Neuheisel being the schmuck that he is. Mich State is overrated, as are Purdue and Maryland.

Prediction: ND doesn't get to Tallahassee unbeaten. Air Force and the triple option knock em off their perch the week before in the Springs.

12. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: God's still (sorta) smilin' on th' Gators...

I couldn't remember if they won a championship back in the Billy Cannon days. However, back then (and this is true of the Arkansas "National Championship"), a few different teams might lay claim to a national championship in a given year. I don't remember who awarded Arkansas their crown, but it wasn't the "main" one.

This was also back in the day when a team could lose its bowl game and still have been selected champ weeks before.

13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LSU won its national championship in 1958, winning both the AP and UPI (coaches) polls--they were 11-0 with a Sugar Bowl win. Arkansas's big year was 1964, when they went 11-0 with a Cotton Bowl win over Nebraska. They won the Football Writers Association poll, which was a post-bowl poll. The most-recognized polls, AP and UPI, both selected Alabama as champion before the bowls, when they were 10-0, but they went on to lose 21-17 to Texas in the Orange Bowl.

14. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Thanks.

15. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    what a win for louisville...

i think fsu was looking ahead to the next three weeks; clemson, miami and notre dame.

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Turned into quite a good game in the second half and overtime. (I heard the first half had 15 or so penalties, I watched Fire-Revs). Louisville is quite the tenacious bunch, and their fans are phenomonal. Job well done.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I read about this this morning. It may be time for Bobby Bowden to retire. This is the beginning of the end for the FSU program.

20. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Good result for CSU. That'll help the opponent's rating. I don't think CSU deserves a BCS slot, but I want them beating out crappy Big East teams for that #15 spot...

21. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I don't know about Bowden's time being up. It was a torrential downpour, which tends to even things up a bit. Also, Louisville's a pretty DG football team who just played a bad game against a better than anyone thought Kentucky.

CSU won't get a BCS bid even if they run the table. Now, this is moot if they lose Sat. at Utah, but Air Force? If they somehow run the table (BYU, at Utah, CSU, Notre Dame), do they get a bid? Me thinks yes.

22. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    :rolleyes:

23. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Holy crap!!!

Anyone watching the Iowa v Penn State game!?!?!?!

:eek:

24. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    I saw some of it at the gym. Hey Fear, do you ever get to BSU Broncos games? The blue turf is famous, that alone gets the Humanitarian Bowl on newscasts nationwide.

25. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Yup. Over the summer we got in that same stuff they use up at Nickerson. FieldTurf or NextTurf or whatever it's called. The Blue Turf this season is very, very, very dark. The other blue fields in the past have been a tad bit on the lighter side. They say it will take a full season for all those rubber granules in the field to settle down. I watched the home opener and the field looked weird. But the players love the new field. I have been on the field before back in college and that thing was about as hard as the parking lot.