2002 College Football Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jeff, Aug 1, 2002.

1. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially to the short side of the field.

2. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I like the chances of the University of Georgia Bulldogs.

Our toughest non-conference games are against Clemson (the opener on Saturday) and Georgia Tech (at the end of the season). Those two games are the bread in the usual SEC meatgrinder which feature games with Tennessee and Florida.

If Georgia can get off to a good start against the Clemson Tigers and beat Tennessee for the third time in a row (they are playing between the hedges this year), the should roll into the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party at the end of October undefeated. Our nemesis Spurrier is gone. If all goes well, Georgia could be in the SEC title game for the first time since its inception, win its first conference title since 1982 (the days of Saint Hershel), and perhaps dare we dream our first national title since 1980?

3. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blah, blah, blah.

Every year, the Poodles make noise about how it's their turn to win the SEC East, and every year, the Gators have to put them in their place.

So, Spurrier is gone. So what? You think Zaunbrecher doesn't know how to put points on the board? If I remember the last few years correctly, UF hasn't had much of a problem with UGA. Maybe the loss of Spurrier makes the game a little closer, but UF is still the better team.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.
    Cal's winning The Axe this year.
    Indeed.
    Indeed.

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've got one word for all you non-Big 12 schools:

crumbs

6. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. :D

7. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Can we say repeat of 1997 in Jacksonville?

8. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you say 1-11 against Florida since 1990?

9. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin

Perhaps this is why we are not communicating well...

10. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Quarterback Chris Lewis to Teyo Johnson. I agree it looks grim for the mighty Cardinal, but (and I know well you enjoyed the last time Texas played Stanford, boss) Lewis may be a big thing this year. (The mighty Ducks remember Lewis too.)

"Lewis, who has started seven games and thrown for 2,456 yards the past two years, comes into the ?02 season as one of the most experi-enced first-year starters in recent history ... In the past two years, Lewis has played in 17 games (including the 2001 Seattle Bowl) and completed 182-of-367 while throwing 20 TDs ... He has been in the spotlight several times the past two years against some of the finest teams in the nation ... He threw last-second, game-winning touchdowns in 2000 vs. Texas and USC and a year ago, he went 3-1 as a starter while leading Stanford to wins over No. 4 Oregon and No. 5 UCLA on consecutive weeks ... It was Lewis' play during a five-game stretch last season when Fasani went down with an injury that helped the Cardinal finish 9-3 and ranked 16th in the country ... During that five-game period, Lewis completed 90-of-163 for 1,277 yards and 12 touchdowns vs. Oregon, UCLA, Washington, Arizona and California ... He has proven himself to be a quality Pac-10 quarter-back and with two more years of eligibility remaining, he has a chance to become one of the best in school history."

11. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. We threw that one away.

Thankfully, we managed to pull out a win last night against SDSU (last second blocked field goal....yeah baby!!!) :D

12. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    And just what IS Florida's all-time record against Georgia?!?

13. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    CSU beats CU

Bradlee Van Pelt is the man. CSU beats CU!!!!!

But why did CSU not run to end the third quarter???

14. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    CSU RAMS!!!!!

Listened to the game on the way back from hiking, but I just got reception after Bloom's 4th quarter TD.

BTW, IMHO Van Pelt did not throw the ball at the CU player in the endzone deliberately. (saw replay)

Other news:

Oregon looks fugng impressive vs. Miss. State. They may not miss Joey Harrington all that much after all.

For flip, Stanford QB Chris Lewis has to miss next week's contest. Suspension.

15. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Just watched Washington State beat Nevada 31-7. I'm rooting for Gesser to win the Heisman, but he's going to need better performances than this to have a shot, even if he did finish 17 for 29 and 242 yards. It was 14-7 entering the last quarter, and Nevada scored the first touchdown.

Linebacker Wil Derting with three interceptions for the Cougars, including a 98-yard intereception return for a touchdown, breaking a 57-year-old school record for longest interception return by two yards.

Nice sunny day, and Seahawks Stadium is a nice place to watch a game. Cougars set an all-time attendance high for a "home" game with 63,588 showing up.

Big cheer from the crowd when they announced the Washington-Michigan score. :D

16. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    SEC news

The SEC is off to a decent start (except Miss. State)

Alabama struggled against Middle Tennessee State, but defeated them 39-34. Alabama always seems to come out of the gates slow.

Tennessee is up on Wyoming 33-0 in the third quarter.

Florida is ripping Alabama-Birmingham 34-0 approaching halftime.

SEC minnows Vanderbilt are getting crushed by Ga Tech 31-0 at the half.

Mississippi State just scored a touchdown, but are still down 27-7 approaching halftime.

Mississippi is up on Louisiana-Monroe 7-3 early.

USC has just taken a 10-3 lead on New Mexico State.

Georgia and Clemson is about to start.

LSU plays Va Tech tomorrow as is the Kentucky-Louisville game.

Auburn takes on Southern Cal on Monday.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: SEC news

Fixed your post. :)

(USC is in Los Angeles. Carolina is in Chapel Hill.)

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Is anybody actually watching Notre Dame-Maryland? Not me.

19. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I have come to the conclusion after just one game that Illinois is the worst tackling football team in the history of football.

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No need. Notre Dame appears to have this one wrapped up. The 2001 ACC champions have returned to Earth. Time for FSU to resume its domination of this basketball conference.

21. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Notre Dame 22:0 Maryland

Pathetic...

22. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Re: Re: SEC news

USC is in Columbia, South Carolina - not Chapel Hill. Southern Cal is in Los Angeles.

23. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    And this "basketball conference" isn't even as good as the SEC in THAT sport anymore.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: Re: SEC news

I know the PC crowd has begun to give South Carolina props it hasn't earned on the field, thus switching the "USC" from LA to Columbia, but let's face it- not even Lou Holtz can carry their sorry butts to the football tradition the real USC earned over the past 40 years. That's why USC is still in LA, and that's why Carolina (basketball) is still in Chapel Hill. Columbia's just a town with a big anonymous school.

The SEC is the premier athletic conference, no doubt -and you can thank the Men of Troy for some of that (USC 42, Alabama 21, 9/12/70)- but the University of South Carolina has had little to do with it.

Give 'em initials when they win a few.

And Hugh Green deserved George Rogers' 1979 Heisman.

25. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    You're right, the ACC hasn't won the last 2 NCAA titles in THAT sport anymore.

Back on topic, I was so unbelievably pissed off yesterday after the UW vs. Michigan game. How in the hell do you go onto the field with 12 men AFTER A FREAKIN' TIMEOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ridiculous. I'm still not sold that the one pass was caught then fumbled on that last Mich. drive either (and that it mostly because of my bias). And UW should've gotten that fumble call when the Mich. running back fumbled near the goalline but they said he was down (and Mich. went on to score a TD the next play, and don't even try to say that UW got away with one earlier when the Mich. guy stripped Alexis, whistles had blown and his forward progress had been stopped for ages).

But the 12 men play and UW's overall incompetence in special teams cost them the game. Our snappers are horrible. High snaps on the missed extra point and the blocked FG, crappy snaps on numerous punts, including the last punt that gave Mich. great field position with a minute or so left. I'm still pist off about it today. Damnit.