2002 College Football Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jeff, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Bump

Season starts in less than 24 hours, The Jim Thorpe Classic, Colorado State at Virginia. If it's not ridiculously humid, I see the Rams pulling out a close one. If CSU gets out of their first four at 2-2, 11-2 looks good. First four though: at UVA, CU in Invesco, at UCLA, Louisville. The decent Mountain West will seem like a breeze after that.

2. trickyfool

trickyfool New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Orlando, FL
    I love your optimism Mike (Go Gators!) and I agree with you on just about everything.

The gators will definitely be ready to play against the canes. The game against UAB helps and the fact that the Canes lost 11 players last year to the NFL also helps. I don't think Dorsey will react well under the Pressure of the Swamp or Neyland. I personally think he is likely to choke on one of the two, most likely against the gators. I'm expecting a UF win, hopefully a rout. I'll be more than glad to send the scUM down to miami crying. All good fun, of course.

I also agree that for UF, it all comes down to our lines. I personally thought the game was lost on the lines. We were not nearly aggresive enough to match up. I hope Zook can insert some of his fire and intensity onto our lines.

Early Report from UF weather center:

Hurricane season ends early!

3. trickyfool

trickyfool New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Orlando, FL
    fun with the canes.....

[​IMG]

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    In terms of a national championship game, I see this:

Heart says: TCU 28 Wyoming 14
    Head says: Miami 35 Florida 31

In other news, Nebraska will go 8-5. I'll be pulling for 0-13, but that's just my opinion.

5. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Huskers lose five times! I can dig that sucka! ;)

Let's see that would be to Texas, Colorado (at home), maybe K State, At Iowa State (have fun chasing Seneca Wallace), and somewhere else (I'd LOVE to see Arizona State win Sat.).

Wyoming is supposed to be better this season. Or at least that's what the Denver Post said in a write up.

6. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    GO RAMS!

It is really hard to talk about football until a couple weeks from now to figure out which teams are going to actually be good or not.

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    And weeeeerrrrrreeeeeee off!

Pepper can you toss an (R) in the title when you get a chance? Thanks.

8. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Man, if tonight's CSU-UVA game sets the tone for the season, college football fans are in for one of the best seasons in a long, long, time. Back and forth, momentum switches several times, few flags. Though there have been a few turnovers. All I'll say now is that CSU may get a result tonight, but they got work to do and then some if they want to think of slowing down CU's running game.

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    CSU 35 UVA 29

CSU Rams recover a fumble from a rollout at the goal line with :10 left. Wow.

I'm going to try to go to a couple of CSU games this year. I'd love to see the Louisville game but I'll be in KC.

10. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    I am happy by the Rams victory!!!

Van Pelt is tough as nails. That kind of suggests to me that that backup better be on his game this year because Van Pelt is going to get tagged a couple of times this year.

11. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    That would be redshirt freshman Justin Holland, supposed to be big time.

When I saw the replay last night, I said, oh sht he's gone for at least half the year. Nope, kid went down for a few seconds, probably due to the shock more than anything, pops up, and asked back in, though he had to sit out one play due to training staff on the field or time out rules.

Good things are ahead for CSU, just not next Sat. I'm afraid.

12. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Colo State has to be my second favorite team. Plus it doesn't help that my female friend is starting grad school there next week.

13. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Or the assistants. A good friend of mine was delegated this task last year. Not sure if they've still got a vote this year.

14. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Tiller had his son fill out the poll.

15. CrewStadium227

CrewStadium227 New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Columbus,Ohio,USA
    I'll ring in with an Ohio State perspective.

I noticed that a lot of the national publications are saying that the Big Ten is down this year, and are picking the Buckeyes to win the conference.

I saw an interesting article made up of the opinions of writers in newspapers in the Great Lakes region. No one was picking OSU. I saw UofM, MSU, and Wisconsin picked as winners.

Generally, the regional writers have a better feel for what's going on. OSU is over-rated at #13.

The defense will be really good, but the weak spot is at cornerback. That means that they could play great all year, but they're bound to give up some big plays from time to time.

The offense is going to be pretty poor. The OL is patch-work. The QB is "adequate". They're starting true freshmen at TB and FB. The receivers are the same unspectacular bunch from last year.

So the team is going to rely on defense to win all of its games. I don't think they'll be able to do that consistently enough to win the conference. I won't be surprised if they lose one of their non-conference games (either Texas Tech, or Washington State).

As a life-long fan and an alum, I hope I'm wrong about all of this.

Its interesting to note that in John Cooper's second year a lot of national writers (Beano Cook among them) were picking OSU to win the MNC, even though the team was coming off a mediocre year. In Jim Tressel's second year, we see the same pattern repeating (though to a lesser degree).

16. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Big 10 is irrelevant.

The Big Game is Stanford v. Cal.

The sad part about Texas A&M is that they really think that the rivalry with UT is the Big Thing, although Texas has, in recent memory, obviously been more focused on the Okies and the team from Big Neb.

But thank God Slocum is still their coach...

17. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Dogs!!! Beat Wisconson!!!! (well, we did it last season) :p

[​IMG]

18. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    first and foremost, the starting tailback is a true freshman and he was rated the #1 prospect in the united states last year coming out of high school, and he has two other tailbacks that were ahead of him in camp until they picked up some minor knocks, that being ross and hall.

the fb is not a true freshman but a redshirt freshman, altough he has not played in a game yet, he has had a year to practice and be around the team...which is important to a player having to read the defense and picking up blocking schemes.

the wide receivers unspectacular? you are kidding right? vance (once he comes back from 2 game suspension) and jenkins might be the best 1-2 punch in the big ten, if these receivers had a good quarterback throwing them the ball you would hear this group being called the best group of receivers in the nation...but they dont, so it will be a wait and see...

19. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Fresno should have beaten UW. The penalties were very costly. Wisconsin's running game was ok, but the passing game was just horrendous.

20. tolbuck

tolbuck Member

Sheffield Wednesday
    Jun 24, 2001
    toledo, oh
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Why the Bucks may be better than the regional writers suggest-9 home games.

That was a nice performance against Texas Tech, but I don't think we will get a gauge on the Bucks until WSU arrives at the 'Shoe. Kent and Cincinnati aren't exactly world class.

21. timmy409

timmy409 Red Card

Apr 3, 2002
    Georgia
  22. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the need to let the world know that Iowa State and Seneca Wallace just got raped.

23. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he stepped out at the one. But I don't care how good you are at the optio, never run it at the one when you have only one play. It just takes too long to develop. But that was an awsome second half.

24. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Having just defeated a middling to weak Big 12 team, I'd say the Big 10 is on its way back!!!

25. tolbuck

tolbuck Member

Sheffield Wednesday
    Jun 24, 2001
    toledo, oh
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I downplay a Big Ten victory, and you have to make some smartass comment.

You must be highly intelligent. :rolleyes: