20 Players called into camp

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by mrliioadin, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Wear long sleeves my young friend. And know that even though choosing the US over Mexico made you an instant fan favorite, scoring a goal against El Tri in qualfying...well, you'd be a legend.

2. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good tape here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4oVnQdnqxo"]YouTube - Feb. 1, 2009: MNT Inside the Lines[/ame]

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that Jim Curtin in the back providing numbers?

4. DragonFly

DragonFly New Member

Dec 31, 1999
  5. STLCover2

STLCover2 Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Nice run by Robbie Rogers at the end of that video. Like a hot knife through a soft MLS defense, to mix metaphors.

6. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

Whoever plays on Saturday should be in camp by Sunday night and those that play Sunday (if any) will be in camp by Monday night.

I suspect most of the team will be able to practice together on Monday and Tuesday.

Not bad.

7. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    monday and tuesday practices are more walk thrus than anything..

although the mental prep will be key both days...

so basically, new faces won't enter the equation unless forced to by circumstances...

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is really interesting news.

Of course, saying good things about Landon Donovan isn't the best way to make friends down in Mexico. In one poll, Landon was named the most hated man in Mexico. He finished well ahead of George Bush, which is quite an accomplishment (and compliment) I'd say.

It'll be really interesting to see if Torres starts. You wouldn't think so, because he hasn't had much time with the national team. However the MLS guys are out of season, Mastro in particular is suspended, and Edu never plays. I bet Bradley goes with Michael and Ricardo Clark, who looked pretty good against Sweden. Then Torres will come off the bench to score the winner! And of course then he'll need to find a club. Seriously, Mexican fans can be pretty unforgiving.

9. othakidfrmaltalomahs

Jan 25, 2008
    RC/ALTA LOMA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh ok i was wondering why there wasnt a mention of Torres being called up but i guess it wasn't that big of news.....i was honestly going to start thread about Torres being called up but it would prolly be merged into this one or w/e soo it wouldnt really matter

im just joking btw hahaha...well see what happens

10. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i'm sure mls would be very happy to have torres in the league..

11. pguerra

pguerra New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    All players are released for 3 days (including games day), 4 days if they have to travel to another continent. Thus, the Euros cannot play for their club team on Sunday. I think that is the FIFA rule.

12. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone confirm that his issue was citizenship

13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes ,it was mentioned several times.

14. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Bayern Munich's game is on Sunday this weekend. Interesting.

15. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I think you are wrong.

16. Winds350

Winds350 Member

Sep 10, 2005
    So I decided to look at the FIFA regs, and (surprise, surprise) can't seem to match them up against reality.

From "Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players
    12.07 rva 1500 MAV/oon/rsi"
    Looking at the International Calendar on the FIFA site, Feb 11,2009 is listed as a friendly data, 48-hour release, so for this match everyone plays club ball on the weekend.

But 4/5 (and the international calendar clearly has either 48 hrs or 4/5 days as the choices) would mean US players in Europe should be released by Friday evening for a Wednesday qualifier. I just don't seem to recall that happening. I'm wondering if the 'Players shall join...48 hours before' at the end of the section is the controlling requirement. So that in practice, the club can play them on Sunday as long as they arrive 48 hours before the national team game. But if anything happens and they don't make it on time, the club takes the hit (fines?). If they release them by Friday night, then it's the players problem if they don't make it.

Gotta love FIFA regs...

17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go back and read post 18 in this thread.

This mess is CONCACAF's fault, not FIFA's.

Jack Warner is an asshole.