20% of Americans can't find the USA on a map. What sayeth you, Miss Teen South Carolina?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Aug 26, 2007.

1. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I'm guessing there are some people who weren't familiar with App State that now are. No surprises to anyone in WNC though.

2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great laughs at Michigan all around.

3. Ali_reza

Ali_reza Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Miss Teen NC defends map answer (thanks to striker09 in another thread).

[squeeky voice]i had a blank, i made a mistake, i'm human ...[/squeeky voice]

[youtube]0DEBNMhziqc[/youtube]

4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    It'd difficult to come off any worse than she did the first time, but she was pretty good here.

5. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    I actually thought they would win. Michigan people were acting too big for them, and App State is a hell of a team, you can't take them lightly, I don't care who you are.

There's something special going on in Boone, we in NC have know in for awhile, now the nation knows.

6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    That's Miss Teen SC. She's only coming to NC in order to breed.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gotta say I DID feel sorry for her in the first vid. As others have said, if you put yourself up there to be shot at you are sort of asking for it but, nevertheless... she's only a kid.

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that it took balls for that girl to go on the Today show.

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm sure it did. Fnarrr... :D

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    a few years back I got stopped by SKY sports outside Wolves' ground and asked if I'd say a small words about Reading's situation (near the bottom after about 4 games). It was all light-hearted and I agreed, but when it came to the question itself, rather than the casual approach I'd imagine, the interviewer went all Jeremy Paxman on me, demanding answers about Reading's dreadful position and about sacking our managers. I was competely thrown by it, and although I agreed that they should be sacked, I couldn't back it up - in fact I mumbled something about being given a bit of time to sort things out, which contradticted myself completely. And while it wasn't live, you become hyper-aware that you are being filmed, and the only thought in your head becomes "I must look like a total dick", and you are pretty much unable to have any thought in your head beyond that - and all the time you are also aware of how much more of a dick you look with each passing second.

Funny as the clip was, she clearly didn't have a clue what to say and was just saying the first things that came into her head - a true rabbit caught in the headlights.

11. Ali_reza

Ali_reza Member

Mar 1, 2006
    She's ok here. Probably repeating what she's been told to say about "maps in america".

I bet she's even checked where the USA is on a map, just in case ... :D

This said, i agree with RichardL. When i was in university, some guys from a radio were interviewing random students, asking "what are you planning to do now that spring is here?" (very interesting, i know). They jumped up in front of me sticking their micro in front of my mouth. Being unable to escape, i mumbled a stupid answer and left. I was'nt very proud of myself.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So you're saying 'I WAS that dick!' :D

Seriously though, you can see why people who get stopped by the 'meeja' on a regular basis rely on stock answers... 'it's early days yet', 'there's a lot of football still to play', 'I think it's important not to overreact by sacking the manager'. 'Je ne comprends pas'. etc., etc.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not that that's stopped changing your avatar line to 'U.S. American'... ;)

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    my answer was just dull and rubbish, and was cut short, thankfully. I was "lucky" enough to just have nothing to say, which is perhaps more fortunate than saying a lot but making no sense.

Some people just handle the spotlight better than others.

Last season, for example, Oliver Holt, the Daily Mirror's main sportswriter developed a curious hatred of Reading FC (bear with me, this is relevant), even to the extent of devoting an entire page of the paper to outlining why he hated Reading football club, and all it stands for.

A spokesman for the Reading FC supporters group was given a "right to reply" on local radio, to challenge Oliver Holt directly. Sadly, he couldn't have frozen more if he'd been stripped to his boxer shorts and dropped into liquid nitrogen. You could hear his voice rattling with fear as he spoke, and he completely failed to address a single point. I'm sure he must have prepared something, but he sounded like the interview had caught him by surprise as he stepped out of the shower.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Much like your..

No, that's too easy... sorry :)
    That guy's a twat of the first order, much like most of the 'meeja'.
    LOL Great stuff!

16. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Who here has been to Lexington, South Carolina? I have, it's easy to see why she froze up in the spotlight.

While Lexington is somewhat a a hot female factory (it has two top 10 Miss Teen USA finishers) it's a very tiny town. 12-14,000 at best. While she's done modeling before, it's different, she's not required to speak for pictures.

Ricky Williams has spent the majority of his adult life in the spotlight, yet he still occasionally freezes up in front of cameras. He did interviews with his helmet on for awhile he was so scared.

17. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Williams' issues are slightly deeper than being camera shy though. I think he has some sort of social anxiety disorder, or did anyways.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  19. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    i believe they call it paranoia after you've lit up a spliff...

21. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I also laughed at the US American thing.

But when I thought about it, it might not be incorrect depending on where you are living.

Someone in Latin America and Iberia would make that distinction when mentioning a specific "American" nationality.

22. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought she was from South Carolina? :confused:

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wasn't there some fella from the university of sh1thole, nebraska or something, that did an investigation into how many hookers you could get in south america for $10,000. Apparently it's, like, a LOT

... I mean, a LOT. :D