20-21 Off season catch all

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Nov 23, 2020.

1. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back when we were chasing Galvan wasn’t there another young Argentine midfielder the rapids were after? Maybe they bring him in this offseason.

I’m not worried about expansion draft, with all the young talent protected if they use the same rules as last go round. Plus much like the SuperDraft it’s far from the best way to acquire players.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  2. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Sports Yak and Sal Paradise repped this.
  3. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I still feel bad, but not quite as bad...by a bit. However, the Rapids still need to improve on defense.

Boy, did the playoffs fall Seattle’s way so far. Ugh.

AlbertCamus and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting milestone that we kind of missed. With the end of the season the Rapids have now played more than 50% of their seasons in burgundy and blue.

m vann, TheWarmBurger and AlbertCamus repped this.
  5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I actually would have thought it was more than that. They changed the same year they moved into the Dick, right?

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what, I'm off a year. For some reason I thought we moved into the Dick in 2008 but it was 2007. So we were over 50% before this season. We played 11 seasons in green/gold/blue/black and now 14 seasons in burgundy/blue.

m vann, AlbertCamus and COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. wafc4ever

wafc4ever Member

wigan
    England
    Mar 31, 2017
    Does anyone know why the Rapids are taking so long to announce roster decisions. Only 4 teams left to announce. Two of which are still playing and the other only got eliminated two days ago. Seems a little odd to wait so long

8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OFFSEASON PRIORITY: They're going to have to figure out what the market is for Bassett and Vines. For more and more MLS teams, "how much will we sell our Homegrown players for?" is becoming a larger and more important part of the job.

On-loan playmaker Younes Namli back for another. The Danish DP didn't put up huge numbers with just 2g/4a, but his ability to slip inside from the right wing and orchestrate attacks became a huge part of what was going right for Colorado. On-loan goalkeeper William Yarbrough might not be, as his was originally just a one-year deal. They need to figure that out.

But it really does come down to Rubio's spot as well as the left wing, which was split between Jonathan Lewis and Nicolas Benezet. For the fourth straight year, Lewis put up big per-90 numbers (5g in 750 minutes across all competitions), but for the fourth straight year he failed to lock down a starting role. Benezet, meanwhile, managed zero goals and 3 assists in a touch over 500 minutes.

It's a safe bet there will be new faces there, and it's a safe bet the guys who return will once again have to fight for playing time.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/11/18/armchair-analyst-what-2020-meant-mls-club-club

Much scrolling to get to Rapids section.

MLS calendar and their take on Expansion draft player protection.
    https://www.burgundywave.com/2020/1...season-calendar-what-they-mean-for-the-rapids

22SteveD repped this.
  9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Vines starting for the USMNT tonight!

Bassett and Acosta on the bench, and will probably see some minutes later in the game:

JasonMa and 22SteveD repped this.
  10. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Vines with a beautiful “hockey assist” on Paul Arriola’s goal. Receives the ball and puts in an absolute beaut of a through ball to Chris Mueller in the box. Mueller controls, lays it off and Paul Arriola scores.

18min in, and Vines looks like he belongs just fine in the USMNT. LB is a tough position to break into, but he just may do it if he keeps playing like this

11. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Vines’s highlight if you wanted to see it:

Sam was subbed off at halftime. Berhalter probably wanted to get a good feel for his wingback depth behind Dest and Cannon. Vines put on a solid shift tonight

Acosta came in around the 65th min. Caught Taylor Twellman’s eye with his “fitness and fight”. Didn’t really have too much of an impact. Had some good corners and a good set piece shot.

Bassett didn’t make an appearance sadly. Probably due to the fact that Aaronson played the full 90. I imagine Weston Mckinnie has the regular start locked down for that position, followed by Aaronson. Bassett is gonna have to put in a lot of good work if he wants to crack in ahead of those guys. The midfield for the USMNT is deep.

Overall, it was a good showing for the rapids and I imagine they will have representation at the January camp

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given substitutions I think Djordje Mihailovic is also ahead of Basset.

Given all the tourney's on the book for next year including WCQ in fall, I think Basset will get his chance to show what he can do. I expect him on the Olympic Team for sure.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Watched about 15 minutes of the first half and it happened to coincide with goals 2-5 for the US. It was brutal. El Salvador looked really lost and disorganized. US was consistently winning the ball near midfield and when they went on the attack seemed to more often than not have space to work with.

It was really hard to get a sense of where the US 'B' team is. Hopefully this group will get some chances to place together again in the spring against a side that can really challenge them.

14. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Don’t know if you know this already, but if you’re a subscriber to EPSN+ you have a huge vault of content.

Found both the 2016 playoff game between the Rapids and the Galaxy where Gashi scores that absolute screamer and the 2010 MLS Cup.

I haven’t seen the ‘10 MLS Cup in it’s entirety since watching it live. Wife and I watched it tonight. Forgot how intense the game was, and specifically how crazy those last 10min of the game were after Kandji’s “goal” and injury where the rapids played down a man.

The non PK call. The multiple fouls that Baldomero Toledo let slip. When Casey scores from his butt. Larentowicz with a screamer of a free kick that Hartman barely saves. Pickens with the HUGE save LATE. Moor with the last stitch empty net clearance at the death. Found myself at the edge of my seat all over again.

Man oh man...Good stuff!

15. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SccrDon repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids just traded $125K of GAM to Chicago for the #6 pick

17. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Wonder who they are going for...$125k is a lot of cash for a draft pick.

However, that being said, we grabbed Shinyashiki at #5, and Jeremy Kelly was picked at #9. I would definitely say those two are worth $125k.

There were also some good players in the 2020 MLS draft that had an impact this year:

2 of the biggest were definitely:
    Daryl Dike, forward. #5 overall. 15 starts, 17 games played for Orlando. 8g/4a. Yes, 8g/4a. For comparison, Shinyashiki put up 7g/3a in 31 games in his rookie of the year campaign.

Dike was on pace for 14.5g/7.3a if he played 31 games this year. That’s nuts.

Henry Kessler, defender. #6 overall. 19 starts, 22 games played for New England.

That’s some insane production for 2 picks right where the rapids will be drafting come January.

Other notable draft picks in terms of games played:
    Dylan Nealis, defender. #3 overall. 10 starts, 19 games for Miami

Ryan Raposo, midfielder. #4 overall. 2 starts, 15 games for Vancouver

Alistair Johnston, defender. #11 overall. 15 starts, 18 games for Nashville

Tanner Beason, defender. #12 overall. 9 starts, 9 games for San Jose.

If the Rapids nab any of that production, that’s a good depth/development grab for $125k.

HOWEVER, if the Rapids nab a Daryl Dike?? (Not likely, I know. But hey, we can dream can’t we??

Then they look like geniuses.

JasonMa repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last two years Padraig has clearly identified a single player in the draft he was interested in and made moves to get him. Shinyashiki in '19 and Kelly in '20. I'm assuming he has somebody identified in this draft and this is a move to put them in position.

19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trade is before MLS has even signed a single underclassman to a "Generation Adidas" Contract.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but this close to the draft the teams will generally know who MLS is targeting for GA (especially if the Rapids suggested one of the targets).

21. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Wonder what presents the Rapids are bringing us this Christmas:

22. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    End of year contract options:

Picked up options for:
    Shinyashiki
    Vines
    Kelly

Declined options for:
    Rwatubyaye
    Jackson
    Wynne

Resigned:
    Moor and Beitashour (1 year)
    Wilson, Warner, Irwin (2 year)

Still Negotiating:
    Yarbrough on a permanent transfer from Leon. His loan is expired, so club is trying to get him here for good

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised we brought back Beitashour and Warner at all (much less the latter on a 2 year deal). Little surprised Irwin signed a 2 year deal knowing we want to bring Yarbrough back. I understand why they brought Wilson back, I assume at a greatly reduced number, but I thought his international slot would have made that a non-starter. Maybe a green card in the works?

24. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to go full doomer here, but I honestly think this is an early warning sign that we shouldn't be expecting any major acquisitions in the off-season. These really feel like "make do with what we've got" kinds of moves.

25. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Protected list for the expansion draft:

Austin FC is the only team drafting tomorrow, and they can take 5 players. From all the unprotected players in the league and the players they’ve already traded for, I doubt we will lose out on any of our unprotected. I could potentially see Benezet going, but that’s about it

JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.