#2 goalie

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by crzdcolombian, Nov 29, 2007.

1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So any other GKs

other than Vargas, Montero and Ospina?

how are Arbolera and Banguera doing? Anyone else in the league?

2. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    that guy Luis Garcia

3. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #454 HomietheClown, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    The answer to this thread's subject is finally going to be answered in big games.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  5. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I hope im wrong but I think one of these guys is going to mess up hard and its going to cost us a goal

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Vargas should start, he’s playing well in Mexico.

HomietheClown repped this.
  7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #457 pepinointer, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    my vote is for Montero, he did well in copa america

and tolima only have recived 5 goals this season.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So far so good for Vargas.

Was not needed much but did have some very nice saves when called upon.

J-Mezzy and Furnaccio repped this.
  9. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    To me Colombia GK for this WCQ should be Ospina, Montero, Arboleda

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It could end up like this by 2022 (who knows?).

But Vargas seems mature and experienced and has been waiting behind Ospina for so many years.
    He is not going to go down without a fight. Especially if he continues to play well when he gets his chances.

Montero looked good in limited matches.

Arboleda looked so horrible but it was his first time on the road against a disciplined Korean team. I will give him a pass for that but first impression was not good. Hopefully he can continue to play well in Argentina and maybe go to either River or Boca.

11. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He earned some points throwing like Joe Montana yesterday...

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ha, I was more of a Phil Simms guy. ;)

Seriously that outlet pass to Muriel was solid as you alluded to. Muriel was off to the races and the defender could not keep up with him.

Little things like that add up for Vargas.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    @crzdcolombian

I know you are infatuated with young , tall Keepers.

Luis Marquinez (third string at Nacional) has been called up for the microciclo.

Kid may be up your alley. ;)

14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I thought it was odd he got called. Hopefully gets a loan move to another team and we don't have another Chunga situation where they murdered his career

15. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Joan Parra from Envigado is a solid prospect. Only 22.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #466 HomietheClown, Oct 19, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    Since this is the de facto Goal Keeping thread I will post here.

I thought our Keeping situation would be solidified by now but it is only getting muddier with more question marks.

1) Ospina. He has not played all year long and will not play unless he goes to another team because his Saudi Arabian team did not register him due to having too many foreigner slots already taken up. Part of me says if he does move on to MLS or Colombia or wherever he ends up then he is still the #1. (I know I am in the minority but I have an old school mentality of you do not lose your job due to injury. I also will never forget the many times he saved us in games and think he at least deserves a chance at the #1 spot.) That said, I can see the other side of the coin from many people here and other websites saying move on from him. Maybe give the youngsters a chance.

2) Vargas has not done anything wrong per se. He has played well for the most part and has saved us in many fearful situations similar to the way Ospina saved us in previous cycles.
    I am not going to complain if he is our #1 but he is not the best Keeper in the world of course. But none of these guys are.

3) Montero. Tall and most intimidating of them all physique wise (that was for you CrzD) and has not given up goals during all his starts. Now a lot of that could be fortuitous bounces cause he has had his shaky moments but part of it could just be when opposing players see his height and his positioning it may affect their shot power and accuracy a bit but that is just me theorizing.
    I do like the way he passes deep for the most part on Goal Kicks and he just never looks scared out there.

4) Chunga. I like what I saw in friendlies but has no real shot.

5) Mier. He is young and can be the "next Ospina" but I am not that big of a fan from what little I have seen at Nacional. But the talent and confidence is there for him to be a third keeper this cycle.

All-in-all I am comfortable with most of these guys which is a blessing.
    Just do not know what will happen once Ospina plays and gets into rhythm again. It will be interesting to see if Lorenzo will give him a chance or just move on. Or maybe he can be our second keeper which would just be strange.

17. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    You forgot Mier? Vargas, despite the red card incident (he had no other choice really), has been playing well. Much better than what I expected. Has to be our #1. Montero wasn't too shabby either.

I'm kind of not worried about our GK situation.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    My mistake. I called hum Ruiz but meant Mier at 5.

I am not concerned either just confused as to how the politics and pecking order shapes up and if Ospina takes a role as a backup or if he comes in again as number one.

kromekote repped this.
  19. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    well we still are not rly developing goalkeepers for some reason but the local guys seem ok, luckily goalkeepers can play for like 10 years. I've already accepted the fact that we just aren't going to have top goalkeepers anymore

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Update on Mier-
    I am starting to see why people like him. He has been pretty good at Cruz Azul so far.
    Good with his technical abilities on ball with his legs and cool distribution.

Not a fan that he usually bats the ball instead of tries to catch it like volleyball (but that is really the only negative so far). He has such good reflexes that the rebounds are not much trouble for him to control for the most part.

At this point I think is going to be very interesting to see if he is second behind Vargas. Although Montero has basically done everything he can do in Colombian matches to keep his spot.

21. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Vargas v Spain

Mier one half vs Romania and then Montero the other half

Mier is the future we need to start putting him in. Obviously not insane enough to say start him vs Spain haha. I just don’t rate Vargas highly tho he has done pretty well in this cycle

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm all for giving a full game to Mier, considering that he has played well in a better league than FPC. Montero right now is not in good form and Milonarios is in crisis, so I also think that he is not in a good mental spot.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I mean maybe based on Club form Mier should be ahead.

But Montero has done well for us in every match he has played in. Giving up zero goals during the run of play in 9 appearances (I count the non-FIFA friendlies) is very difficult for any keeper to do.

dapip and J-Mezzy repped this.
  24. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Mier to me is the new Ospina. Tho this one just never has been given a shot. Giving Ospina minutes with 0 play time and coming back from an injury when this guy hasn't debuted as a starter yet is criminal

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is not criminal to allow one of our best keepers of all time and team captains try to prove that he is worthy of his spot on the roster.

Maybe it would be if he started in Qualifying or something but it was just a non-FIFA friendly against Mexico. Try not to be so triggered by something so innocent.