1st Round Playoff Attendance Predictions, part 1

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Napoli_Ultra, Oct 19, 2004.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 1st Round Playoff Attendance Predictions

Probably not, but when your number of hardcores who don't care about the weather is very small, and the degree to which it makes it easy for "anyone else" to say "No, thanks, it's too cold/too nice to go to a game" means that for some people, it's a valid reason. Whether that applies to you or not is of no concern to them. They're their reasons, not yours.

2. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

I agree, I just find them amusing. For my own reasoning, not theirs.
    And for the record Ken, I responded to that. I never meant people should attend anything they don't want to, because I think they should. Funny how people get caught up in the semantics of what people say, rather than their actual point. I guess thats just easier..​
    PS: I have a winter coat to donate to anyone that would like to attend one of these chilly MLS games.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only way we know what you mean is by what you say.

4. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

Then why not read my reponse to you on that topic and find out? I could be wrong, but it seems like you would perfer just pick then to actually discuss. I suspect I know why, but either way. It's actually disapointing, as many times your opinions on actual topics are pretty interesting..

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have no idea what the heck you're talking about.

6. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

When responding to these last several posts, you seemed to have been referencing a post of mine that you disagreed with earlier. Either way. Just making an observation on your responses..

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then I should amend my comment: The only way we know what you mean is by what you say, except when the meaning of what you say can't be discerned. I've looked back over the last several posts and I don't see where you've made a coherent point and expressed it well enough for me to understand your meaning.

8. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

Haahahahahaa alright stat boy, enjoy.... Next time, I will include a little charts with numbers so its more easily discernable for you. For fun, which post didnt you understand?

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pretty much the 1,281 since May of 2004.

You don't need numbers. English will suffice.

10. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

Haaaaaa Somehow I figured it would be more material than substance.. Oh well man, I tried. Enjoy your night............ and all those 'oh so interesting' numbers of yours too..

11. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY

Weather excuses are good laughable ones for sure. One of my all time favorites from a few years back was the KC resident who said of sunday afternoon games that people are at church, can't go to game.

Magpie, dude, it was a bit of a chilly night. No big woop. Come on.

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA

No big woop for me: I was there, but weather has been and will continue to be a factor in attendances whether you consider it laughable or not. If you can't look at the consideration in the context of your more typical fan, then you're not going to understand or appreciate it.

If the weather's bad, people may stay home. If the weather's bad, your team's underachived over the course of the season, and you have the choice of watching Game One of the World Series where your favorite team is playing, then a lot of people are going to stay home, stay warm, stay dry, and not give two **********s about not using MLS playoff tickets.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but doesn't everyone love soccer as much as we do?

14. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000

Why am I not surprised that crusio babbles on in an attendance thread, yet disparages numbers as uninteresting. "Tell us how you feel about MLS attendance. Let's not get into too much detail or dwell on facts. Those just confuse Americans."

15. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA

Silly Kenn. MLS has no casual fans. Everyone who has ever expressed the slightest interest in the league is here on BigSoccer. We all travel to every away qualifier. The typical MLS fan attends team practice and has studied Spanish for the sole purpose of learning what Carlos Ruiz is saying when he complains to Steve Sampson. Neither weather nor family commitments nor sanity can keep us from spending every moment not spent at a game or practice right here at BigSoccer, which is why we don't need the media. So there.

Oh, and MLS needs to market itself better.

16. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Spoken like someone who has never lived any amount of time in the midwest..let me tell you, having spent the better part of 4 months in Missoura, 4 miles from the Kansas Border...except in the middle of the inner cities of Kansas City/St Louis, everything is empty on Sundays until church gets out. Everything.

17. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial

Actually, the attendance at NE looked more of a lie than in Colorado. There were 3x as many fans in the stands that aren't shown on TV than on the East side. in NE all the fans are forced to sit in front of the TV cameras so as to produce a FAKE athmosphere.

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA

<rev think mode>Where's the benefit of opening up the entire 30,000 seat lower bowl of Gillette Stadium when the Revs can barely get enough fans to fill 1/3 of that? So why not try to save money by closing sections that need not be open, resulting in a tighter grouping of fans?

It's not gonna look nice on TV no matter how you cut it, so why not save money and work to consolidate efforts in the process?</rev think mode>

So you have 5,000-plus fans in a stadium that seats nearly 70,000, with a sum total of probably less than 100 proactively working to create some measure of atmosphere in the place.