1st Round Playoff Attendance Predictions, part 1

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Napoli_Ultra, Oct 19, 2004.

1. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Re: 1st Round Playoff Attendance Predictions

Should Colorado fans care that much? It's like being invited to the first half of a playoff game only. If the Rapids win, then do they advance? No. I wish more people cared more, but I'm not that disappointed in Colorado. If they pass the Commerce City SSS, they'll be the most popular town in MLS for a while. Minor blip. What star on the Rapids is the draw? Mastroeni? The GK? A Haitian who's name noone can spell right? Undrafted Jordan Cila? Undrafted Borchers? Overage players like Chung and Henderson? Beckerman? If you look back at how the player distribution system (and to some degree the FO failings) have affected COL & DAL then maybe it's not fair to fault them too much (though I'll admit COL has a poor draft history).

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Playoff attendance averages, 1996-2003

Los Angeles -- 18,528 (18 home games)
    DC United -- 17,782 (12)
    San Jose -- 13,678 (6)
    Columbus -- 13,370 (10)
    MetroStars -- 13,245 (6)
    Chicago -- 12,613 (14)
    New England -- 10,806 (7)
    Colorado -- 10,240 (8)
    Dallas -- 10,029 (12)
    Tampa Bay -- 9,578 (6)
    Miami -- 9,409 (6)
    Kansas City -- 8,465 (10)

Overall -- 13,002 (115)

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It should not be overlooked that the playoff average is pretty close to what the median attendance is over the years.

IMO, ~13k is the real base of the league at this point.

Andy

4. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Many of us will be watching at least one of tonight's games delayed.

Discuss attendance all you wish, but

PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS RESULTS IN THIS THREAD

5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

Shouldn't matter since the Revs announcers were also giving play-by-play for the DC@MET game. Aaaaaaaargh

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

What a crap night for attendance.

Columbus at New England: 5,679
    DC at New Jersey: 11,161

throw in the 8,028 from the other night and its a 8,289 average.

I expect next weekend will double the average.

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

And SJ will be the clear attendance champs this weekend?!

But to be fair, I'm not holding against NE going head-to-head with Red Sox Game 1. Now that's an excuse.

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

Very true, but what is the excuse for Colorado and New Jersey? I doubt there are many Red Sox or Cardinals fans in those two areas.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You think they should care. They don't think they should care. What they think trumps what you think.

The fact that we're not the norm escapes too many people on Bigsoccer. The vast majority of Americans are lukewarm about soccer at best, antagonistic about it at worst, with a large amount of people who could take it or leave it or just don't care. And a really big portion of the people who will go to an MLS game once or twice or three times don't care about the playoffs.

These numbers alone should make people think that perhaps the competition and the "big game" idea isn't exactly what really moves the needle for most folks most of the time.

10. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

They get no excuse. Attendance sucked. We'll just have to live with it. Fortunately (dare I say) both should have SSS within 2-3 years and then we'll see if the teams can develop a larger following. I going to try and be patient and not panic. It's not like the viability of the league is at threat anymore.

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA

FWIW, the reported attendance in New England does seem accurate, although it didn't seem like that would be the case by game-time: fair number of late arrivals. The weather was also God-awful cold, and no way the 54 degrees was accurate. The wind-chill had to be in the upper-30's as hard as it was blowing: I actually have windburn on my face.

12. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville

The Revs attendance does seem accurate. I would venture to say there were at least 1/3 more fans at Gillette than at Invesco. The 8,000 figure is so far off of reality it's laughable. If there were more than 3500 at that match it was 3501. Let's not fall for cooked book attendance figures. At least the Revs didn't flat out lie like Colorado.

13. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

Exactly.. 100% agree with this. My point isnt that they should because I do. Or I think that they should. Bonding fans to their teams is a tough process. We all should realize this by now. Are there not enough soccer fans? Are some people 'eurosnobs'? Are people this? Are people that? YES YES YES YES. Does this mean MLS fosters an enviorment that creates loyal followers?? NO. I am not saying they do or dont, I am saying that thats a very legit question, a hugely important question to ask yourselves if you love this league. Is this league growing into your vision of what a soccer league should be all about? Unfortunetly, this isn't a great forum to discuss what bonds fans to their teams. Its probably too complex for here and besides, people are already dug in on defending rather that questioning.

14. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc

I was at the Metro game last night and the 11 k figure was correct. 11-13k is all NY has ever gotten for playoff games, so i guess its no better or worse than normal. One side of the stadium was pretty full and the other was pretty empty so I would say that was a legit number. also, It was very cold all game. I think that probably kept some people away. It may have been like 55 degrees but I'll bet the wind chill was like 35-40 degrees. I know by the second half I was freezing and couldnt wait for the game to end.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Metro All-Time playoff attendance figures:

DAY....DATE........OPPONENT.....CROWD

TUE...09/24/1996...DC United....14,416
    SAT...10/03/1998...Columbus.....11,686
    FRI...09/15/2000...Dallas.......14,868
    SAT...09/30/2000...Chicago......15,476
    WED...09/26/2001...Los Angeles..12,817
    SAT...11/01/2003...New England..10,211
    SAT...10/23.2003...DC United....11,161

All-time, Pre-MLS Cup average attendance coming into this season was 13% lower than the season average. The only time playoff average attendance actually exceeded the regular-season average was 1998.

Part of it is time to sell tickets. Part of it is that you can't schedule a doubleheader to boost the crowd for a playoff game.

More numbers here.

16. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc

8,659 nin san jose. Terrible weekend for attendance.

17. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Today's crowd in San Jose looked more like 10,000+.

I wonder if there were some folks in the stands with freebie tickets who weren't counted.

18. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

and Amanpour bought 4,000? maybe they didn't count those since it's like an owner buying them?

19. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc

I hope they didnt because that means they would have had like 4k there if it wasnt for him.

20. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So let's see. 3 out of the four games had cold, windy weather that probably discouraged attendance.

Just think how good overall attendance would be if MLS scheduled games from Sept to April like a "proper" league.

21. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

What, so almost every game would be cold and windy? :confused:

22. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry - thought I was so broadly sarcastic that I didn't need an emoticon. :)

I always say MLS has made it when FIFA schedules events around our schedule!

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sarcasmatron set to high, please. :)

24. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA

Didn't we all have some conversations a couple of years ago wondering if San Jose was actually undercounting? Today's game revived my paranoia. I mean, it didn't look like 20,000 or anything, but if there were less than 10K, the fans did a nice job of running into the camera shot.

25. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton

I have come to enjoy the wether excuses.. Sometimes its too hot, other times its too cold and the occasional case of wind burn tops it off rather nicely. Wondering though, has anyone ever lost an appendage to a severe case of frostbite at an MLS game?