Post-match: 1st Place in the West? Oh Cool.

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by siskoeva, Nov 9, 2020.

1. siskoeva

siskoeva Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, we won the west in a snowy game in Salt Lake City. I was unable to watch the game again due to Sinclair and work, but The highlights were pretty nice. I keep hearing the fun fact about being #1 in the west 4 times with Petey-V so that's pretty sweet too.

How'd it go for those of you who watched?

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't exactly an example of the "beautiful game" only 58% passing for KC in the game, just 51% in the first half. It was an ugly game and one where you got a little anxious any time the ball was close to goal.

siskoeva and mschofield repped this.
  3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was a game in which several of the best moments were about people slipping and falling over, such as Vermes in the second half. I wish MLS was still offering the Audi ratings, because, IMO, Busio was kind of great, and Ilie was really solid. I thought Gerso was wasted on that surface, but Shelton and Johnny and Hurtado were all effective. It was a good game. I got the game through DAZN, so was stuck with the RSL announcers, who kept insisting it was the performance you expect out of a PV outfit, very solid thoughout, effective and honest. We were worth the 3 points, imo..

siskoeva repped this.
  4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #4 mschofield, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Here's my takeaway on where we are: When we've had Pulido clicking, werevery good. When he's on, everyone is better. Kinda is buzzing, with Shelton and esp Johnny enjoying the extra space, The midfield looks more disciplined and the defense stands up. With a healthy Pulido, we've been as good as anyone in MLS. We;ve had that for enough of this season to stress test our best 11 at their best and I'd have no worries that we could mount a series MLS Cup run. If we don't have Pulido, however, we're good, not great.
    So, the question, is Pulido healthy for San Jose?
    Side question: Is Kinda the player with Covid19?

siskoeva and Inca Roads repped this.
  5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    From back when I was able to watch SKC games, that was my reckoning too.

I'm mostly just baffled by our suddenly pretty competent defense? It's wild. Is it CB continuity, Dia on the field, Lindsey coming into his own? I can't see so I can't know!

6. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would say all of the above, plus Reid is playing at a high level and brings calmness to the back four.

7. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    I think you gotta mention level of competition there too. Imo given our schedule we should've been able to compete for the supporter's shield. All games together, we only played a team that ended up in the top 3 from either conference once, and that was in the mls back tournament against philly so it didn't count for the standings. conversely, we played non-playoff teams 11 times though there are only 8 non-playoff teams.

I'd be happy to be shown wrong but I doubt that we are a serious mls cup contender.

siskoeva repped this.
  8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I've watched way more MLS this year than I normally do, but at the same time less of us than I normally do. DAZN sadly doesn't put all SKC games up in Europe, so I've only seen us 2/3s of the time.
    My prime takeaway from that viewing is that MLS is actually really balanced. On a great day, TFC is unbeatable, but they have a lot of less than great days. The only side I've seen that looks consistently better is Philly. In the west, everyone is wildly uneven. Seattle has Morris and Loreiro and IMO the biggie is Paulo, all of whom can take charge of a game, but I think we actually match up pretty well with them. I may be a fool, but I don't mind the Lindsey-Morris matchup, and I do think that when you shut down Morris is really hobble everything about the Seattle threat. LAFC could, potentially, hit their 2019 season gear in these playoffs, and that would a huge problem.
    Still, Pulido makes us a very good team.
    From what I've seen of us, and the rest of the West, I think, at our best, we've got a very good shot at making MLS Cup. In a one off, away from home, who knows.

siskoeva repped this.
  9. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No road playoff games for Sporting this year. Bundle up fans.

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    MLS Cup at home, again. Sounds like a plan. The MLS crew is completely dismissive of our chances. I'm not, though. My optimism relies upon Pulido Starting and being able to give his best game for 60-70 minutes, and Kinda being healthy enough to go 90 at his usual pace. Those might be unrealistic, but we do have home field and we have Melia, and both are advantages in the playoffs.

11. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I mean, I'm generally pretty optimistic, but I am also a bit dismissive of our chances too.

With Pulido and Kinda healthy, Melia being Melia, and no road games, I do think we have a shot! I still don't think we're anywhere near favorites, but we could snag this!

mschofield repped this.
  12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I still think Seattle is the favorite at this point even if they do have to come here to play. We can definitely hang with them more with a healthy Pulido and Kinda and we can definitely beat them, but they're still the favorites.

mschofield repped this.
  13. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Just as long as Seattle don't make it to the final. They've had their turns, so now I'm hoping to see us or Minnesota, if it can't be us.

Let's see this PNW monopoly on Western Conference Champs get broken up already.

mschofield repped this.
  14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At least Toronto is out. As a neutral, I like watching TFC, but I'm tired of that final pairing.

15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As a neutral, Toronto is basically drying paint to watch. Maybe I've just gotten the wrong games, but they are currently an absolute shell of just a year or two ago.

If we don't win, I hope it's Minnesota or Columbus who does.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was thinking we're flying completely under the radar, esp for the number one overall seed. But the Vegas line (which I just figured out) has us as the most prohibitive favorite left in the playoffs. the way the numbers work, negative numbers means that's the amount you'd have to bet to get back $100 in profit, and we're at -162 today. Seattle is next at -147. In the positive numbers, it reps what you get back on a $100 bet,. and Minnesota is paying $462, Nashville, for example, is paying $210. Now, this is just a betting line, but Vegas tends not to be foolish on this stuff. I mean, they didn't build that city because people clean them out.