1999 Confederations cup vs 2012 Olympic Gold vol.I

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Miguel Myers, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am not denying that, but those advantages do not demean the trophy any less. its cangrejismo at its core, to belittle an achievement by mere circumstance.

do you think the peru 2005 was a better achievement than 2011 u17 world cup at home?

2. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not belittling any trophy. I'm just saying that there is more merit in winning something outside of your country for the simple reason that the odds are usually against you

And yeas i rate the 05 win higher because it was won abroad

Not saying the 11 was not a great win

3. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I also should mention, that the home team has the disadvantage of the added pressure to win at home. they have to over come that obstacle that any of the visiting teams do not have.

4. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valid point but stats do suggest that the host teams will do better

And just like you say that they have more added pressure, i can say that they have added support/motivation that the other nations do not

5. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    both were huge wins. why even compare?

6. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    well not really, did you see the stands in the olympic final? that was alot of mexicans in wembley :D

btw I wanna see these stats you speak off, from just looking at the world cup stats, how many host countries won the world cup?

7. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

1930 - Uruguay
    1934 - Italy
    1966 - England
    1974 - West Germany
    1978 - Argentina
    1998 - France

8. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I personally think that both wins were historic, and like you said great wins. neither are any better than the other.

one just has the circumstance of being played abroad.

I just wanted to point out the faulty logic in some people statements here, that because the confed cup was won at home, then the olympic medal is worth more.

I personally think the olympic medal is a bigger achievement, but not for the reason above.

9. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    That being said it was bullshit that Lebrija did what he did. You´re right that everyone expected for Meza to be great but the thing wasn´t bad and he was actively campaigning for Meza. I remember before the Hershey qualifiers when Mexico didn´t get a bye to it and had to play the round before that in Guadalajara and beat Jamaica 5-0 and Lapuente and Lebrija where shown on TV going at it. It was pathetic. They blamed Lapuente for the elimination to the olympics even though it was Gustavo Vargas coaching that team. Then the Gold cup and the loss to Trinidad but Meza was just terrible almost from the start. Chima Ruiz playing almost every game and sucking almost 95% of the time is the best example.

Plus that shows how Toluca is bullshit. The height totally masks things like our own Bolivia. That´s why players like Zinha and Avion Calderon can look great there and only there and suck completely in international games.

10. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you're talking about me than you should re-read my original post

It's not just about playing home

But whatever everyone has their own opinion

11. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At FIFA tournaments, the host nation is often handed a seeding advantage. In the first round in 1999, the other teams in Mexico's group were Saudi Arabia, Bolivia and Egypt. Brazil and Germany were both in the other group.

Manolo Rodriguez repped this.
  12. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    so out of 19 world cups, 6 won at home, that statistic does not look good for u

13. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    not you in particular, I forgot who said that actually, too lazy to read back

14. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    Yeah it does, 1/3 of the time the host nation wins the world cup that is a pretty good stat, add to that other host nations had their best world cups when playing at home like Mexico in 1970 and 1986, Korea and Japan in 2002, Sweden in 1958, there is a reason why it's called home advantage.
    But keep living in your dream world where unicorns are real, playing at home is harder because of extra pressure, and lavolpe is a great coach.

15. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think 2/3 of the time that a host nation does not win the world up is a better stat.

16. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    you understand that they played against other 31 other teams since 1998, right?
    do the odds on that.
    or even other 15 since 1934, or other 23 since 1982, do the math 1 the host gets 1/3 of the pie, the other 31 have to split the the other 2/3.

17. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    didnt know 7 games equaled beating 31 teams

and since 1998, out of 4 world cups, the host won only one

thats 1/4

that stat is getting worse and worse

18. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    Always spinning huh?
    A world cup is a competition of 32 you can spin it all you like but that is a fact.
    But then again a "thing" that thinks Lavolpe is a great manager when he only won a league in almost 40 years as a manager is not something that looks into facts, right?

19. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    well, one way to look at lavolpe's career, is to evaluate his performance for la seleccion Mexicana, and also put in contrast how his predecessor and successor performed, and it seems like Lavolpe not only won silverware, but helped get our players to europe in the great 2006 exodus.

Mexico owes lavolpe to were it is.

but thats another topic for another thread, and your need to bring lavolpe, or other irrelevant topics to this thread is because you cannot back up your own statement.

20. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    Yeah like I said and unicorns are real, home advantage is a myth and lavolpe is a great manager.

We owe that matherfawker nothing if anything he owes us four years, four years I never get back........... but I better stop arguing with a deluded thing is not heathy.

21. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    this tells me you have not read this whole thread........... find my post were I make that statement?

you are a cool poster but if you think you need to resort to ad hominem to prove your point even after it has been proven false, its pathetic

22. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    You don't get sarcasm very well huh pern?

So am guessing you believe in unicorns then?

23. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Why don´t you just ignore list that waste of space?

24. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    all of your posts in this thread were sarcasm?

damn my sarcasm meter is definitely broken

25. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    For Mexican sports? It was huge winning the gold.
    On an international FiFA level- I say the confed cup

Nigeria, Cameroon and Poland have won gold in the Olympics.