1989-2014 FWCC: Inter Milan 09-10 vs Barcelona 08-09 (Qtr Final - Neutral Venue)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PDG1978, May 12, 2015.

?

What is your prediction for the result and scoreline?

Poll closed May 19, 2015.
  1. 1-0 to Inter

12.5%
  2. 1-0 to Barcelona

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2-0 to Inter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2-0 to Barcelona

25.0%
  5. 3-0 to Inter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 3-0 to Barcelona

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 2-1 to Inter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 2-1 to Barcelona

12.5%
  9. 3-1 to Inter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 3-1 to Barcelona

25.0%
  11. 3-2 to Inter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 3-2 to Barcelona

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 4-2 to Inter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 4-2 to Barcelona

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Other Inter win (please specify in thread, otherwise default is 4-1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Other Barcelona win (please specify in thread, otherwise default is 4-1)

12.5%
  17. Inter to win in extra-time (please feel free to specify details of chosen scoreline in thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Barcelona to win in extra-time (please feel free to specify details of chosen scoreline in thread)

12.5%
  19. Inter on penalties (please feel free to specify details on thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Barcelona on penalties (please feel free to specify details on thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Round: Quarter-Finals
    Venue: Olympic Stadium, Munich
    Rules: 90 minutes, followed if necessary by extra-time (original rules with multiple goals possible in 30 minutes) and then if the scores are still tied a penalty shoot-out

* Note - If you think the game will go to extra-time please choose that option (at the bottom end of the poll) and then you can say what you would choose for the score at full-time in normal time/90 minutes in the thread, as well as give details of how you'd see extra-time going

Line-ups: (diagrams in following posts)

Inter Milan 09-10 - Julio Cesar; Maicon, Lucio, Walter Samuel, Javier Zanetti; Esteban Cambiasso, Tiago Motta; Wesley Sneijder; Samuel Eto'o, Goran Pandev; Diego Milito.

Barcelona 08-09 - Victor Valdes; Dani Alves, Carles Puyol, Gerard Pique, Eric Abidal; Yaya Toure; Xavi, Andres Iniesta; Lionel Messi, Samuel Eto'o, Thierry Henry.

Voting deadline - 19th May 2015 (1 week from now)

Main thread:
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/1989-2014-fantasy-world-club-cup.2012816/page-22

Feel free to discuss the match and how you think it would play out, and then after you vote for a scoreline feel free to provide reasoning.

If considering substitutions, please check the players were at the club in the relevant season and then you are free to consider 3 substitutions selected from the whole squad for each team, in the scenario you envisage

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Inter Milan 09-10 line-up:
    [​IMG]

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Barcelona 08-09 line-up:
    [​IMG]
    (With arrows of Messi and Eto'o indicating that they could swap/interchange positions, as well as that Messi would come infield quite a bit when playing from the right wing)

4. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Keep in mind that the Inter Milan side faced a very similar Barcelona side that year and came out on top, with the veteran Zanetti shutting down Messi.

5. Pavl

Pavl Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Worst possible draw for Barza, even though they´re doing it well, as for now, in the poll. 1-0 for Inter.

6. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    I didn't remember Zanetti shut down Messi. The whole Inter's defense did
    Inter faced very similar Barcelona at that year(with Ibrahimovic). One win,one lose
    I will go 1-0 for Inter

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    A few days left on this one too....

I picked my 2-1 to Barcelona vote on a feeling about how it could pan out rather than a logical conclusion but these things do come to mind in terms of why Barcelona could emerge with the upper hand this time:
    - Every tie is different
    - Barcelona very nearly got through in 2009/10, and arguably a bad decision cost them
    - It's on a neutral ground
    - It's the 2008-09 Barcelona team, which while similar might be on slightly more of a wave in terms of confidence and form (but it's true that matching up with an attacking team like Man Utd suited them better I think)

I would see the game panning out quite similarly to the 2009-10 games though (although obviously Barca had more of the game and chances overall at home - it would be harder for Inter to have a spell on the front foot in the one-off game than it was at home probably). Inter would defend tightly and with determination and try not to let players like Messi settle into the game I should think, and then Inter would look to work the ball through midfield when they can and Sneijder would always be looking to play a killer pass. I'm thinking 2 goals could well decide such a game in Barcelona's favour though and that by one route or another they can find those goals - if they manage to get the first goal that's a big plus I would think as the longer it is 0-0 or if Inter get in front, the harder it would become for Barcelona. The Barcelona version Eto'o (and the likely switching with Messi) could be a big help (also could be on the list above), while I'd expect Barcelona to be positive throughout and Iniesta could make some inroads into the final third to help open things up to good effect, while Pique probably gets involved in the attacking a bit too if and when necessary/feasible (I feel like Barcelona could get well on top at times, but of course they'd have to be wary of a sudden Inter counter).

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The 2-0 is slightly closer to the average vote in terms of numbers of goals for each side than the 3-1 so....

Result
    Inter Milan 09-10 0-2 Barcelona 08-09