1974 World Cup - Best Players

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Gregoriak, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    @TomNeil If you have more from the world championships before 1974 and you have the desire and time, we would be happy to upload more.

2. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    El Grafico
    Group stage Best XI
    [​IMG]

Final Ideal Team
    [​IMG]

PDG1978, Titanlux and Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  3. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    AVERAGES "EL GRÁFICO"

I will continue working on this thread tomorrow.

mejores grafico mundial.jpg

Pavlin Arnaudov and msioux75 repped this.
  4. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Good morning. I was trying to check the averages of the 1974 World Cup and unfortunately, that fantastic page where the ratings of all the France Football matches were listed has disappeared from the Internet. I rescued for excel those of the 82 players that I thought would be enough to reach a conclusion, but now I have realized that I missed some, for example Rijsbergen, the Dutchman, who for "El Gráfico" was one of the best. Was anyone able to rescue all the ratings of "France Football" or do you know if it is hosted on a new page? Thank you.

5. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Fortunately, I had in an excel file the ratings of those I thought would be the best and of other players I was interested in knowing. I still don't have Rijsbergen's, which I mistakenly overlooked, but nevertheless I have found two interesting pieces of information: one, the ratings for third and fourth place, which I remember did not appear in that defunct application; the other, the final "étoiles", although there are some Polish players to whom some should not have been added. I put the FF ratings and the other two images.

RATINGS WC FRANCE FOOTBALL.jpg
    FF ratings tercer y cuarto puestos.jpg

FF EC 74 etoiles.jpg

Pavlin Arnaudov and PDG1978 repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, at one point the 3rd place game ratings were not showing on EveryFourthYear, but earlier they had been and Tom had factored them in when he made this post, and although I think it wasn't in much doubt I guess the fact the averages arrived at by dividing the etoiles evidently pubished in France Football by the number of games are the same numbers Tom posted shows the reliability of what was once on that EveryFourthYear site (maybe we saw that in other years by now though anyway too):
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/t...ce-in-wc-history.857945/page-27#post-32716904
    1. Luis Pereira (Brazil) 4.83 (5,4,6,4,5,5)
    2. Johan Cruyff (Netherlands ) 4.71 (5,6,5,6,3,5,3)
    2. Franz Brckrnbauer (Germany) 4.71 (5,4,5,5,5,4,5)
    4. Ralf Edstrom (Sweden) 4.67 (5,4,6,4,4,5)
    5. Johan Neeskens (Netherlands) 4.57 (4,4,4,5,5,6,4)
    5. Robert Gadocha (Poland) 4.57 (4,5,4,5,5,4,5)
    7. Kazimierz Denya (Poland) 4.43 (5,5,5,4,4,4,4)
    8. Ronnie Hellstrom (Sweden) 4.33 (4,5,5,4,4,4)
    8. Josip Katalinski (Yugoslavia) 4.33 (4,5,4,5,4,4)
    10. Gregorz Lato (Poland) 4.29 (4,5,5,4,4,4,4)

Titanlux repped this.
  7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It looks like they wrote Krol's name twice but should have included Rensenbrink on 27 etoiles?

If they didn't accidentally miss off Rijsbergen too then it seems like his France Football average would actually be below 3 doesn't it?

8. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Correct. But it may simply be that he was not included. See that in the rest of the publications he is well punctuated. And as you will see, Szarmach's stars, for example, are wrong.

PDG1978 repped this.
  9. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    The only thing missing here is Bonhoff, who missed the entire first phase.

10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, I guess Tom had not clocked that he might be in the top 10 so he didn't calculate his average probably, but like you say the 10 he did list are all there in the France Football etoiles summary with the right amount of points to get the averages listed.

11. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    These are the WC 74 averages taking into account the ratings published in As, Marca, France Football and El Gráfico. If we continue to find more, I will include them in this page.

ratings wc promedios.jpg

12. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    If we mix these ratings alone with others in which we also take into account partial and final results, the table from best to worst would look like this:
    ratings wc promedios enriquecidos.jpg

Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nice work again Titanlux.

I suppose what seems certain is that if it were possible to add in ratings from the People too, the top two in the table (concerning the players with 4 or more appearances I mean) would remain the same. We don't have enough updates to know the People averages for enough players though I suppose (I don't know exactly how many of the game by game ratings could be found via the newspaper archive pages, but Pavlin did great to already post the summaries he found).

14. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    These would be the A and B teams of the tournament based on the different XI's I have been able to compile.

World Cup Best XI 2.jpg

15. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    And to finish my work in this thread (for the moment), I present this image where you can see the best players of the championship adding the stars that I have been giving them. In column "1" according to the ratings and in column "2" according to their presence in the different XI. As you can see, Cruyff has 7 stars, because given his clear superiority in the rating averages, I gave him 4 stars in that section.

Total estrellas.jpg

16. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    Can you just send me the marks from MARCA

17. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    f course. I don't know if I mentioned that "Marca" started to evaluate with grades from the 2nd phase onwards.

ratings wc marca.jpg

18. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    I add two more sources and update.

World Cup Best XI.jpg

Buyo and Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  19. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    I have added some players and made a weighted average, taking into account that the Marca ratings are only from the 2nd phase.

ratings wc promedios.jpg

Buyo and Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  20. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Total estrellas.jpg

21. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    I add the ratings of Sofascore and weight these and those of Marca. This is the new table without the partial and final results. It is possible that in the next days I will add some players to the table.

ratings wc promedios cinco fuentes.jpg

22. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    This is the star cast:

reparto de estrellas.jpg

23. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Now I add to these stars by average score the stars by inclusions in ideal XI:

Total estrellas.jpg

24. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    I didn't know that this site has ratings from older world championships!
    Super!

25. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    I didn't know it either, but thanks to the companions of this forum, I have been pointing them from 1966 to 1978. Little by little, I will see the rest. I will try to get some time to add them to the averages as I did with 74.