1974 World Cup - Best Players

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Gregoriak, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Hi, yes, I could look them up for you, but I need your help, because between one thing and another it takes me a long time to collaborate in so many threads of this blog. Can you do me a favor and go to the newspaper library of "El Mundo Deportivo" and download the pages related to the '74 World Cup so that I can add the ratings to the table of averages. Once I have this, I can serve you separately and as a whole the ratings of the Bulgarians. Thank you.

2. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Good point. Rensenbrink didn't play the second game so that 9 is left over. The final average with my method would be 6.88 instead of 7.38.
    With the three sources I have, his final average would be 7.25.

PDG1978 repped this.
  3. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    I was looking for Mundo Deportivo, but there are only a few games with ratings!

4. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Ohhh! then it's no good to us. When I can, I'll send you what you ask me about the Bulgarians. Do you have the ratings from The People or any other publication?

5. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    I only have them from France football! I think all the matches were on some site, I have them filmed and I can post them if you need them! There are only a few matches from Hora and what I already mentioned as a general ranking before the final.

6. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    Friends, I managed to shoot the final ranking of the newspaper PEOPLE for WC1974 ...... so we have another ranking!
    20220425_212557.jpg

Krokko, PDG1978 and Titanlux repped this.
  7. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    @PDG1978 I see that there is a ranking for 1970 in PEOPLE...... if you know in which issue of the newspaper is the final ranking, give a link to open it, I still have 2 free pages!

8. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    It's a little different from the other "People" snippet. What would be the final one?

9. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    It seems, PEOPLE gave previous awards to Moore-66 and Pelé-70.

10. ManiacButcher

ManiacButcher Member

Palmeiras
    Argentina
    May 23, 2004
    Brasil
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    74'WC Best XI, according to the dutch newspaper Volkskrant (Source: Jornal dos Sports -RJ):
    ------------------- Hellström (Swe)
    --- Luís Pereira (Bra) ---- Beckenbauer (Ger)
    Wolff (Arg) --------------------------------- Krol (Hol)
    --------------------- Neeskens (Hol)
    ----------- Deyna (Pol) ------ Van Hanegem (Hol)
    Ayala (Arg) ------- Cruyff (Hol) ------- Gadocha (Pol)

74'WC Best XI, according to an association of English and Italian journalists attending the final (Source: Jornal dos Sports -RJ):
    ------------------- Tomaszewski (Pol)
    --- Rijsbergen (Hol) ---- Beckenbauer (Ger)
    Breitner(Arg) --------------------------------- Marinho C.(Bra)
    --------------------- Neeskens (Hol)
    ----------- Deyna (Pol) ------ Overath (Ger)
    Lato (Pol) ------- Cruyff (Hol) ------- Gadocha (Pol)

11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I would try this one at the top of the results here (giving credit to Britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk again):
    Results for 'pele merit marks' | Between 1st Jun 1970 and 30th Jun 1970 | The People | Publication | British Newspaper Archive
    That I guess will be the summary of the top merit marks before the Final is played (I think 5.2 is a typo or the preview text is showing it incorrectly or something, because for example there are some players referred to as getting 9 merit marks out of 10 for the first games of the tournament - see the third result on the page which has the text as copied below, including a headline 'Cooper Close' that indicates he is 2nd to Bobby Moore in terms of English player ratings - Moore could have also got a 9 as well as the others listed maybe?).
    "nine marks from their first match. They are: Pele, of course; Mujica (Uruguay); Cubillas (Peru); Burgnich (Italy); and Olsson (Sweden). Cooper close Moore's biggest rival in the England camp so far is fullback Terry Cooper, who earned eight marksfor his"

The second result is I think what will show the standings for merit marks (that result in average ratings, although they may be showing the total merit marks for players at that stage - 24 for Byshovets, Banks and I think Moore....23 for Mazurkiewicz, Mujica, Muller, Cubillas, Jairzinho, Petras etc for example - see these results below too for different text on the same page) after the group games.
    Results for 'jairzinho' | Between 1st Jan 1970 and 31st Dec 1970 | The People | Publication | British Newspaper Archive
    6th result (but see 3rd result too which hints at a best XI, before the Final also I think so not the final one I suppose, that might be from merit marks/average ratings, or might be the choice of a journalist or the editorial team of the People overall.... - it is also on the same page as the top link I posted based on searching for 'Pele merit marks' so I guess you can see it with 1 free view at the same time anyway)
    The second result on this page is the same as above, but gives the hint about Banks, Moore and also that Ball is on 21 merit marks at the end of the group stage:
    Results for 'jairzinho merit marks' | Between 1st Jan 1970 and 31st Dec 1970 | The People | Publication | British Newspaper Archive
    It might be worth trying this page (2nd result - I didn't originally search for 'Pele King' but when I saw that was the text on the page I entered that to move the result higher up the list - strangely though when I tried 'Pele Boninsegna' 'Pele Jairzinho, 'Pele Beckenbauer' ' or 'Pele Gerson' nothing appeared so I'm not sure exactly what is on the page apart from some reports about tennis...but there is a section titled King Pele it seems that could have some ratings with names not being picked up on the search or something), instead of the one from the end of the group stage though, as it's possible it has the merit marks for the final and/or overall (I'm not sure but it's on what should be the next issue after the Final - the Final was played on the same day as the previous issue which said Pele had the top score):
    Results for 'pele king' | Between 1st Jun 1970 and 30th Jun 1970 | The People | Publication | British Newspaper Archive
    I was just about to try 'Pele Carlos Alberto' as a last attempt to get more of idea about that page possibly, but I'm having trouble now with some error messages etc. Anyway I guess if there is anything with the final averages, or the grades for the Final itself (which could be used to adjust the previous averages) it could be on that page that says King Pele on it (maybe!).

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Possibly the 3rd Place Play-Off merit marks won't be factored in for the 21st of June issue either, but I'm not sure.

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The one in post #31 is the final one (for players that played at least 6 games though by the way), that msioux quotes in post #34 too (and points out Moore and Pele indeed as the previous two winners for 1966 and 1970 - confirmation about Moore is in the post linked below of course)
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/1966-world-cup-best-xi.2011264/#post-40106240

14. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    Guys, I found this from PEOPLE ....... unfortunately I can't find the final result!
    It's not in the June 28, 1970 issue, or at least I didn't find it!

Attached Files:

Krokko, msioux75, PDG1978 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    this is a ranking, after the first stage of the championship I think the final ranking wins Neeskens with 8.1 rating - look at post # 31

Titanlux repped this.
  16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think the one Titanlux asked about was with just the Final left to play (maybe 3rd place-game too), but yeah Neeskens was on top in the end. Like msioux said, we can see Pele did finish on top in 1970 though (because of what it says in the 1974 excerpt), even though the most recent listing of averages from 1970 is the one before the Final (and maybe 3rd place game).

Nice work mate posting those pages from 1970!

Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Sorry, no you're right (or closer than what I said anyway lol!) - it was after one game of the 2nd phase (so mostly based on group games) - just after the Netherlands had played Argentina for example. I had thought he'd posted the link to the other one from just before the Final at first, but I just double checked.

18. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    @Titanlux @PDG1978
    I really hope to find the final ranking of France football for 1966

Titanlux repped this.
  19. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    That's great!!!
    First one, is from Week 1, and the last picture, is missing the 3rd place and Final matches.

20. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    In Mundo Deportivo I found only these ratings

Attached Files:

Titanlux repped this.
  21. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    EL GRAFICO

Attached Files:

msioux75 and Titanlux repped this.
  22. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    We have no choice but to wait until someone can scan the ratings of issues 2854, 2856 and 2857 to have them complete.