1966 World Cup Best XI

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Once, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    You are right. I would have 6 points ex aequo with Peters and Roma in 41st place. Thanks for the correction.

wm442433 repped this.
  2. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Birmingham-based Sports Argus picked the following team:

Banks - Sanchis, Rattin, Marzolini - Beckenbauer, Moore - Bene, Eusebio, Hurst, Pele, Metreveli.

Unlike any of the other teams that appear in this thread, there is no Bobby Charlton. It is also the only selection to include Metreveli.

3. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    They chose a WM ?
    It would be better swapping Moore with Rattin.

4. vyncy

vyncy Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Hello everyone. This is my file with the player ratings for all the matches of the World Cup. The source is the Italian newspaper Super Calcio. Warm regards.
    www.dbscalcio.it/CM_FF_6667.xls

Pavlin Arnaudov, Titanlux and PDG1978 repped this.
  5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I paid £5 for a subscription that gives me access to pages on newspapers.com today, and am seeing what I might find on there in terms of The People's ratings (whether I can find them for all 1966 games or not).

What I have spotted immediately that might be interesting too though is a little report in the Liverpool Echo on Portugal vs Hungary:
    hungaryportugal66.png

Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  6. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    At this time we do not have sufficient information regarding the individual ratings of all the matches of the 1966 World Cup. However, we can begin to obtain calculations by adding to the SofaScore ratings the valuable information offered in @vyncy's spreadsheet, in which he details the "Supercalcio" ratings. The values obtained are still not very meaningful, as they would have to be combined with other sources. Unfortunately, neither "People" nor "Marca" offered grades on all matches. They limited themselves to a few that should not be taken into account as it would distort the averages.
    In this list I put the best ratings from the weighted average of the two available sources. I have decided to correct to 90% the values of sofascore, otherwise it would carry a specific weight significantly higher than that of "Supercalcio".

1º.- Eusebio (8,04)
    2º.- Haller (7,92)
    3º.- Bene (7,49)
    4º.- Beckenbauer (7,42)
    5º.- Hurst (7,39)
    6º.- Yashin (7,39)
    7º.- Roma (7,32)
    8º.- Schnelliger (7,28)
    9º.- Seeler (7,19)
    10º.- Moore (7,18)
    11º.- Rubén Marcos (7,15)
    12º.- Ermindo Onega (7,14)
    13º.- Pak Seung Zin (7,13)
    14º.- Banks (7,10)
    15º.- Bobby Charlton (7,08)
    16º.- Porkujan (7,07)
    17º.- Voronin (7,05)
    18º.- Jackie Charlton (7,05)
    19º.- Rocha (7,01)
    20º.- Simoes (7,00)

Other important players:

22º.- Albert (6,98)
    24º.- Iríbar (6,92)
    25º.- Mazurkievicz (6,90)
    26º.- Artime (6,89)
    28º.- Schulz (6,87)
    30º.- Sanchís (6,80)
    33º.- Peters (6,77)
    35º.- Chislenko (6,77)
    36º.- Meszoly (6,74)
    39º.- Shesternev (6,73)
    41º.- José Augusto (6,72)
    43º.- Overath (6,72)
    50º.- Coluna (6,68)

To highlight the bad championship (judging by these results) of: Mazzola (5,95), Gallego (5,92), Yakimov (5,88), Greaves (5,67), Jairzinho (5,64), Leonel Sánchez (5,01) y Facchetti (4,94).

In a brief analysis of other performances, the good ratings of Burgnich (8.08) who could only participate in the first two games, as well as Amancio (6.92), Del Sol (6.90), Rosato (6.85), Pelé (6.76) or Djalma Santos (6.72) should be highlighted.

7. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    Excellent!
    However, I'm having trouble opening the link, can you repost it?

8. vyncy

vyncy Member

Jun 18, 2012
    In reality, it doesn't open any page but downloads the Excel sheet to the preferred download folder on your pc. I take this opportunity to correct an error of mine: the newspaper is Supersport, not Supercalcio.

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    One clarification from me too re: The People - they did make grades for all matches I believe, but they may not have published them all specifically with a match report (or at least not all can be found online - but I guess for some games they didn't show a report...or maybe even there were different local editions of the newspaper with different reports?).

Anyway, the summaries shown do factor in all games played by the players, but it's just that we can't see a full breakdown of every rating for every player in every game. Bobby Moore was their top rated player anyway
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/1...riedebert-becker.2004460/page-2#post-40100841
    1966wcpeopleratings.png
    But yeah, we don't have enough information for you to include The People in your consensus ratings I suppose Titanlux (although for these listed players it would be possible to calculate the effect of including The People's ratings for them in the overall average as a separate exercise).

10. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Including the certain averages of "People" and taking for granted that the rest of the players would have at most a 7.0 average, the players that would exceed the 7 average points with these three sources would be:
    1º.- Eusebio (7,90)
    2º.- Haller (7,81)
    3º.- Moore (7,55)
    4º.- Bene (7,49)
    5º.- Beckenbauer (7,48)
    6º.- Jackie Charlton (7,37)
    7º.- Rocha (7,34)
    8º.- Hurst (7,26*)
    9º.- Yashin (7,26*)
    10º.- Voronin (7,23)
    11º.- Roma (7,21*)
    12º.- Schnellinger (7,18)
    13º.- Seeler (7,16)
    14º.- Banks (7,10)
    15º.- Rubén Marcos (7,10*)
    16º.- Onega (7,09*)
    17º.- Pak Seung Zin (7,08*)
    18º.- Bobby Charlton (7,06*)
    19º.- Porkujan (7,05*)
    20º.- Simoes (7,03)
    21º.- Schulz (7,01)

The averages of the remaining players with values of 3 sources would be:

Coluna: 6,95
    Wilson: 6,91
    Cortés: 6,87
    Torres: 6,85
    Marzolini: 6,77
    Óscar Mas: 6,37

PDG1978 repped this.
  11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, interesting and worthwhile to see that exercise for sure I think.

I did also put this on that other thread (it all went on the 1962 thread originally as Pavlin had asked me a question about it there)
    "Top 10 average ratings after the quarter-finals
    8.0 - Eusebio, Haller, J.Charlton, Moore, Rocha
    7.6 - Voronin
    7.5 - Bene, Coluna, Simoes, Seeler

Top rated player for each nation exiting in group stage
    Brazil - Lima (6.0), Bulgaria - Yakimov (6.6), Chile - Marcos (6.0), France - Artelesa (7.0), Italy - Bulgarelli (6.3), Mexico - Diaz (7.3), Spain - Zoco (7.6), Switzerland - Fuhrer (7.0)

I suppose Diaz and Zoco were not considered eligible to end up on the final top average ratings list at the end of the tournament, as printed on the 31st of July, due to not playing enough games and/or going out in the group stage."

Also in these posts evidently Paulo Henrique of Brazil had 8 as his average from just two games played (he didn't play vs Portugal; *he must have had either two 8s or a 9 and a 7 vs Bulgaria and Hungary because it was said that Florian Albert vs Brazil had their first 10 of the World Cup - btw this means that we don't know Pele's average, especially if they wouldn't include him after two games when he had only placed once...though we know they didn't give him a 10 vs Bulgaria, and presumably not vs Portugal too unless handing out sympathy/respect bonus for playing injured!) - like I noted The People's averages are actually rounded to one decimal place i.e Bobby Moore would be on 8.33 to two decimal places (but I don't think it has much effect on the illustrative table above anyway Titanlux)
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/1...riedebert-becker.2004460/page-2#post-40102882
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/1...riedebert-becker.2004460/page-2#post-40102883

Titanlux repped this.
  12. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    #38 Pavlin Arnaudov, Aug 20, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
    @vyncy @PDG1978 We need the ratings from 1/2 and the final from France Football

13. vyncy

vyncy Member

Jun 18, 2012
    I'm sorry, but I don't have those numbers.

14. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    Sooner or later we will find them :)

15. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    I only have what I have shared. I think the only thing we have here is an image from France Football. However, that image was useless to me because it's too small. I have asked for collaboration around here to be able to get that information or if there is someone with a sharp enough eye to be able to put that information into an excel or something. So far, I have not succeeded in my request....

16. vyncy

vyncy Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Do you have the original link to that photo? Maybe from there we can enlarge it...

17. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    I have it, but I can't send it right now. The quality is quite bad, but you can see the highest ratings until the 1/4 finals

18. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    When you enlarge it a bit, it becomes pixelated and you can hardly see anything...

19. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Some will remember that a few years ago there was a page called: Everyfourthyear.com, but unfortunately it doesn't work, nor do I know how to contact the author. The fact is that on this fantastic page, match by match, as a playing field, the notes that each player had in "France Football". I want to remember that somewhere I should keep an excel with that information, if not for all the players, at least for those who seemed to me to be the most prominent at that time. I have searched and searched, but unfortunately I don't know where I have it, in case I did that.
    Did someone write this somewhere where it can be retrieved?

20. vyncy

vyncy Member

Jun 18, 2012
    I remember that website very well, unfortunately I didn't collect the data because I didn't understand the source at the time. Now I find out that it was France Football, and I regret not having done it.

21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think I already mentioned this to you or you're aware anyway, but just in case it helps a little bit (and mentioning twice unnecessarily is better than not mentioning at all in error) I can quote the posts of Tom Stevens that he made after working out the top 10 France Football average ratings for players that played 4 games at least - ironically maybe it doesn't help at all with 1966 itself because the ratings on that site started from 1970 (but we realised since then, with the help of your posts Titanlux and others from wm442433 and Pavlin, that France Football did do ratings for 1958, 1962 and 1966 of course too)

(NOTE - Pereira's sending off didn't result in a bad grade vs the Netherlands - in later years it clearly would have done)
    (They had moved to a 0-10 rating system for 2010)

Then we have this for 1958 (for France Football's top rated players playing at least 4 games)
    Pele - 5.25
    Gregg, Garrincha, Rahn, Fontaine - 5
    Didi - 4.8
    Hamrin, Kopa - 4.67
    Boskov - 4.5
    Dolejski - 4.25

For 1962 it seems like this for top 10/11 FF averages with 4+ rated games:
    (NOTE- I originally messed up several of the Yugoslavia averages, so initially wrote wrong numbers on the thread)
    1962 World Cup XI (by Dr. Friedebert Becker) | BigSoccer Forum
    Bobby Charlton - 4.75
    Schroijf - 4.67
    Rojas, Masopust, Sekularac - 4.5
    Durkovic, Zagallo - 4.33
    Schnellinger, Solymosi, Valentin Ivanov, Seeler - 4.25
    (with Garrincha, like Nilton Santos on 4.17 too, among those just below the cut-off actually)

For 1966 we can only do the pre-semi-finals standings:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/1966-world-cup-best-xi.2011264/#post-40106240
    4.75 - Marzolini (Argentina), Vicente (Portugal), Onega (Argentina), Bene (Hungary), Eusebio (Portugal)
    4.5 - Jack Charlton (England), Hilario (Portugal), Meszoly (Hungary), Bobby Charlton (England), Rocha (Uruguay), Beckenbauer (Germany), Overath (Germany), Sipos (Hungary), Albert (Hungary), Farkas (Hungary), Rakosi (Hungary), Torres (Portugal), Pak Seung-Zin (North Korea)
    4.25 - Banks (England), Moore (England), Weber (Germany), Goncalves (Uruguay), Graca (Portugal), Pak Doo-Ik (North Korea)

Anyway, I know that what would be better is to have the full set of ratings, but I thought I'd make this post again anyway (even if it might be of little use, and already known)....

22. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    I have them photographed and I can send them as a file, but it will take time because they are not with me. I currently live in a grog city and need to get home for more time!

23. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    Does anyone have an idea where this infamous 1064 issue from 1966 can be found? Is there an archive of France football with scanned newspapers somewhere, even if it's paid?