19/20 Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly why he should always be a starter with Ramsey and Cuadrado. The runner should be Matuidi and Sandro and Danilo overlapping.

2. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But there is reports to the contrary. The only things that were reported is that Juve attempted to sign the player and the player decided to go to another team. If Barella didn't want Merda, he wouldn't have gone to Merda.

In my opinion, the fact that Inter didn't buy him outright shows how much the player wanted Merda. We have good relations with Cagliari, if Barella wanted Juve, he would be here. I agree that money talks, but not always. We need to look no further than our own legends who stayed with us after Calciopoli, or Francesco Totti.

I can't understand how people say that our front office is garbage. Have they made mistakes? very much so. They are also the only reason that we have been able to rebound and get back to where we are even having this discussion. If it wasn't for them, we would be like Milan right now...

juventino13 repped this.
  3. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha i love that video of Ronaldo and Dybala complaining about the mid. Its a moment of truth, cant even be excused anymore by people trying to defend our shit performances.

Ninho29 repped this.
  4. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    A great midfield has to have energy and skill. We simply are lacking in one or the other with most of our midfielders. Then we have one of our best passers and midfielders rotting on the bench (Berna) because he doesn't exactly fit the system. It's a joke.

I like Bentancur but Sarri would like him to act like Jorginho and he will never be that kind of player. Sarri is one stubborn SOB. He'd rather go down using a system his team cannot or will not play vs adapting a system to their talent.
    I think we will get by Lyon and then get exposed in the next round.

5. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Bernardeschi has been trash all season. Sarri tried him in his favored role on the right side of a front three and he didn't do much. As a trequartista, he is terrible. I agree that they should try and give him opportunities, but Bernardeschi has been more of a problem than a solution.

IcEWoLF and juventino13 repped this.
  6. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Latest reports say its possible the return match vs Lyon could be played behind closed doors.

I know its a health issue, but ******** UEFA if they do that.

7. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dont think it will matter much...we might play a little better but we are not gonna all of a sudden become world class performance. Our midfielders might perform well as a rotation player in a better/more stacked squad...but none are real leaders. We barely make any tackles or win balls back...they dont know anything about pressuring opponents, they just run around and pass like we are in practice. There isnt much we can do to get these guys to do better.

8. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Individually, our midfield is better than the current champions league holders. The difference is that Fabinho, Henderson, Wjnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita, Milner have bought into Klopps ideals and had more time in the system.

The issue is a combination of our history and transitioning to what Sarri (and an extension of the board) wants out of the team moving forward. In my opinion the blame needs to be put on the players, Sarri, and management with the players and Sarri the most to blame.

phat repped this.
  9. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    The difference between our midfield and theirs is that those guys will actually work. We only have Matuidi and Bentacur that fit that profile--and neither is particularly gifted physically at this stage. We have a bunch of above-average technical midfielders with no standout who are playing in a system that they choose not to embrace or are unable to embrace.

10. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    I like Pjanic further forward, but not in the "Pirlo Role". If we insist on using him there, then yes he needs to be sold.

I would try him further up closer to where ehe played when he first arrived and put Bentancur in the regista role. That would put Pjanic pulling strings closer to the big where his vision can be more effective. But we will also have to play a 2 way p[layer at the other MF spot if we stick with 4-3-3. I still would prefer 3 in the back given out lack of FBs, but I guess Sarri can't get his head round that level of change.

scirea6, Falc and phat repped this.
  11. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    This can work too. Ramsey has looked better as a mf and he does add some push in the box. Costa is never healthy so not sure what you do about that.

Cuadrado's problem for me is too often he slows down the play. How many times did we see guys lined up for runs into the box on the break when Juan would pull the ball back and not play it? We do too much dinking around the outside of the box going back and forth and to and fro. Sarri is correct about that. We need to pay the ball around the box especially much faster.

Daei_10 repped this.
  12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a lot of talk that Juve's game against Lyon could be played in Malta instead of closed doors. The Maltese FA has confirmed that Juve has reached out to them about moving the game there.

scirea6 and Tifoso repped this.
  13. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That would suck if you get no fans on the return leg... No wonder the team is inquiring about moving it elsewhere and try to get the Juve fans to follow.

14. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    It would but there are no excuses. Juve must eliminate Lyon.

15. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    UEFA looking to postpone CL as well.

At this point I expect the Euros to be postponed as well considering more time will be needed to play these postponed games in summer

16. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Honest question: what is the logic for not just continuing to play the matches behind closed doors? It would seem that this would be a measured response to help control against the spread of the virus and keep the schedule somewhat regular. I can't help but think the league and teams are going to lose money either way.

17. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    There does not seem to by much logic in what Italy is doing. Just panic. The focus should be on the elderly who are the most susceptible to the worse of this virus. Educating folks about prevention and care needs to be out there. But I get the impression that anyone with a sniffle is running to the hospitable or a clinic. It is a failure in the management of this crisis.

OldLady and Tifoso repped this.
  18. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    The problem with that is, you can go at that point, get tested, come out negative and end up positive a couple of weeks later.

Still too many unknowns about this virus.

Whole thing is very suspicious.

19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Who needs testing? For me, that is part of the panic created by the media. Everyone getting tested is not going to solve anything. Getting tested because one has symptoms makes sense. But taking precautions such as washing hands, taking vitamins C & D, avoiding big crowds, avoiding touching things, elderly staying home ans so forth is what reduces the spreading of the virus. Some teams are still training. Where would a player get better medical attention than at his training site? Leave him home to wander into trouble makes more sense?

OldLady repped this.
  20. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I agree with most of what you are saying but there is one point the I have mixed emotions with. You can have the virus but not show any symptoms. You could pass on the virus while not having any symptoms at all. I dont think everyone should get tested in the areas most affected but if you come into contact with young or old people then maybe it would be a good thing to get tested (if you are from the areas of most risk)

21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I understand what you are saying. But if I come up negative today, continue going on with my life and think I may have contacted someone else, do I test again. And when do I test after that? I went to the DC United match on Saturday. Rode the Metro to and from the stadium. I used a hand washing cloth when I got in my car. Did a thorough wash of my hands when I got home. My Parish is Italian-American, one which many, including our Pastor, recently returned from a trip to Italy. The Pastor was in Veneto. Are my chances higher going to Church?

22. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I was posted about those that are in the most affected areas. USA and Canada are not in that area as of yet. As far as going to church, I have refrained for the time being to be honest. Your points are valid about the testing, I get your concerns but for now, Im avoiding large gatherings, avoiding trips overseas. I have not been tested but I now live in a small town in Ontario where 9 people were tested because they had just returned from Italy or Iran and got sick shortly after. While others are still taking these risks, I refrain from large gatherings. We simply do not know enough about this virus.

23. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You are taking proper precautions, which all of us should do. We are getting mixed messages here in the US media. Listen to doctors and they recommend what you are doing, avoiding large crowds, washing hands and so forth. Then you have the politicians and media fools who do nothing but scream that it is the end of the world. I feel that in Italy they have lost a proper balance and I have little faith that the government has a clue of what it is doing.

OldLady repped this.
  24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    BTW, yesterday I had an appointment at the eye clinic at the Veteran's Administration hospital. I had to purex my hands and they are taking many precautions to keep things clean, which they always did prior. Little more emphasis this time.

25. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Good points, I think governments have completely screwed this up. Even up in Canada, the hospitals were telling everyone to be calm and that they have everything under control. They learned from SARS. They are prepared. Now last week the same hospitals are telling the Government that they can not handle things if they get worse. Its a joke. The biggest problem with the European countries is that there are now borders. Governments can not longer control their own countries. Anyone can come in, infected or not. Airports are another problem.
    People arriving directly from China are checked but people from China but not direct flights are not checked. So many mistakes made .I am not paranoid and I live my life pretty normally but I dont trust governments. I dont blame those poor people in Italy is they are running scared after all the has gone on.