19/20 Champions League Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Member+

Juventus
    Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, might as well close up shop.
    We struggle against bottom feeders teams in Serie a.

Sarri will be fired if we exit CL this early.

2. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bonucci was the top passer. Lyon played well and defended well.

juveeer repped this.
  3. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I honestly want Sarri sacked NOW. Pathetic performance. No shots on target, seriously? For Goodness Sake, we are Juventus, talent wise we are a top team. The fact that we look very mediocre with the players we have is absolutely embarrassing. Bring Back Allegri at this rate.

Seriously though, what do you make of the chances of Sarri getting sacked after this game?

4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Why must Sarri continue to insist on a three-man midfield when it's clear it hasn't worked all season? We only looked ok at the end because we went more direct and you only had two actual midfielders playing.

5. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Sarri wouldn't get sacked unless we were eliminated by Lyon--and even that is an if.

6. cizko

cizko Member

Juve
    Italy
    Jul 14, 2017
    No chance he is getting sacked after this game. Though he should have been sacked after the press conference before the game, where he said champions league is a dream, not an objective. Lol.

phat repped this.
  7. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yea, Sarri is clearly not on the same page as management. Clock is ticking on his time at Juve

8. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I wonder if he got the memo before the job interview that Champions League is the objective. ********ing bozo.

phat repped this.
  9. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He said it is a 3-year project.

juveeer repped this.
  10. cizko

cizko Member

Juve
    Italy
    Jul 14, 2017
    Well he sure as hell wont be here for three years with the way this season is going.

gumbacicc and juventino13 repped this.
  11. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I wonder if Nedved and Paratici still think the team is on track after today's performance

12. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll admit that I got it wrong today, just as Sarri should admit that he got it wrong with starting Pjanic and how flat the team came out. If we are eliminated by Lyon, Sarri should be gone, no questions asked.

With that in mind, because I am a glass half full type of guy. Lyon only scored when we were down to 10 men and the ref was absolute s**t. Additionally, our starting midfield should be Bentancur as the regista flanked by Ramsey and Matuidi/Berna depending on the opponent.

If Ramsey or Matuidi aren't playing, we do not have any runners into the box from midfield.

juveeer and phat repped this.
  13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    The game was carried on a Spanish language channel so I wasn't sure if De Ligt had been back in when the goal was scored. The Froggies took advantage of the gift of a wounded defender and that plus the cost of a university education for the ref's kids, carried the day for them.

14. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It seems our boys underestimated Lyon. Going into the game, there was plenty of talk of how Les Gones were decimated by injuries and how this would be a routine win for Juve. What this game highlighted is the Bianconeri's lack of genuine creativity. At the start of the season, a lot of observers around Europe pointed to Juve's impressive squad depth as proof that they had to be one of the favorites to win the UCL final in Istanbul. I've been struck by how average this team has looked all season long. The midfield badly needs an upgrade.

15. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As usual I will blame management...Sarri already said he has NO say in who we sign. Since Agnelli or Paratici think they know better, maybe they should coach.

This is embarrassing, we got Ronaldo and cant put together a half decent team to even make semis. We getting KO in R16 and QF against weak teams. Took a 2nd leg 3-0 miracle to crawl out of Atleti, only to lose to buncha Ajax kids. This year is now even worse with a 7th place French team lol...at the very least we shoulda got an away goal

So whats our plan? Another year written off? Plan to win 2021 with 36yr old Ronaldo, 43yr old Buffon and 35yr old Khedira/Matuidi next year?

16. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, all the pundits are still saying we will go through in Turrin.
    We better go through, or else we don't deserve go on the next round if we cannot even beat Lyon.

Anyhoo, those who ask about De Ligt head cut, here an article on it.
    https://www.the-sun.com/sport/premi...g-with-blood-after-horror-clash-against-lyon/

oh, and did De Ligt get sub towards the end? I know after the head cut he went back with head bandage on, but towards the end I don't recall seeing him anymore. Did Sarri sub him?

17. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I blame Sarri but then the team (especially the lazy players) need to take responsiblity too, these players are professional soccer players yet none can came up with a shot on goal against Lyon, that embarassing.

Liverpool has zero shot on target too, but at least they have a reason to say it Simeone Atletico defense. But Lyon? come on.

Daei_10 repped this.
  18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He was on for the full 90 other than the time he was getting patched up.

Management better learn from the lessons of last year and this that if they don't fix the MF problem they are doomed to mediocrity. Club can only win so many 1-0 matches.

19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Thanks for the link! He's really stepping into the role in the back line, bleeding and bandaged like a regular

20. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He just wants to fit in ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buffonfan repped this.
  21. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If De Ligt was on 90 min, then he must take off his head bandage at the end then, because towards the end I don't see any players with a head bandage anymore. I wonder when did he has the time to took it off if he was on there running till the whistle blow.

Head cut bleed alot, even with a small cut, due to alot bleeding it looks more severe than it is. But regardless, I still think players who have head injury should at least stay off the field for that match, for their health safety and after complications if there any.

I remember watch a match where a Goal keeper of some team who get a knock in his head, got a net on his head and continue playing. Then bam like 5 minutes later he faint right on the pitch. They have to bring a bench to carry him off and drive him to hospital. News said probably due to his blood pressure was low. But still. Head injury should be more careful.

Anyhoo, so disappoint in Juv. If we don't get the job done in Turin beside we don't deserve to go through, we will be a laughing stock for the media.

22. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Agree here. If you think about how Juve started the first half,

-Lyon were barely threatened in large part because Juve only had two goal threats starting. Dybala and Ronaldo are not enough.

-Bentancur, Rabiot, and Pjanic are all better in a two man midfield since none of them this term has shown to contribute enough as the 3rd more attacking midfielder.

-Ramsey and Khedira (yes Juve were playing much better with him) are the two mids who are by far the best in the final third. The other option is to play a three man midfield with Pjanic always ahead of Bentancur. Bentancur in this moment is the best defensive mid.

juveeer repped this.
  23. scirea6

scirea6 Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Because "style" is more important than substance, i.e. winning. It's more important for the team to reflect his "philosophy" of football than what's in the actual interest of the club. In that way, he's a rich man's Zeman.

At least Sorry has a trophy to his name, but he should have never been hired in the first place. The reports in the Italian media claiming that he's all but gone this summer are music to my ears. I just hope that they prove true.

gumbacicc and juveeer repped this.
  24. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Management learning?

We signed Matuidi after Cardiff disaster. That was their solution.

Orange14 repped this.
  25. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem isnt Sarri, its management and their wacky signings and incompetence to sell players

calabrese8 repped this.