18 year old Norwegian-American star Mikkel Diskerud verbally declares intent to play for the USA.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by JcUSA, Jul 1, 2009.

1. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: 18 year old Norwegian-American star Mikkel Diskerud verbally declares intent to play for the USA

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939469

The "Yanks Abroad" forum has had a thread on him for over a year now. Best place to learn about guys like this on the whole internet.

(well, sometimes ;) )

3. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 18 year old Norwegian-American star Mikkel Diskerud verbally declares intent to play for the USA

Ty. Its been while since I been there since the start of the Confed Cup

4. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

pretty good article based on my google translation. the poll results showed that almost 60% of the 1383 respondents thought Norway screwed up by losing out on him.

5. andorj78

andorj78 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Getzville, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are we a college football program?

6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mix said he chose the USA to please his American mother. Love it!

The fact he even considered the USA is impressive for us. He was born in Norway, raised in Norway, developed as a player in Norway, played for Norwegian Youth National teams (in friendlies), and plays very meaningful minutes for the defending Norwegian Champions.

I don't think any Americans would have been upset with him for chosing Norway. It really would have been the most logical thing for him to have done. Norway should feel like they screwed up. USA fans BigSoccer would be livid if we lost a player under the same circumstances.

It's a big story in Norway. He's a very significant prospect and it's a huge American gain. I can't wait to see him in the Champions League.

7. Clint Cooper

Clint Cooper New Member

Aug 13, 2008

Wow, It's Rossi but for Norway. I feel for them.

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York

Precisely.

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is this kid any good? Don't make me Google. :)

10. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, no. Rossi never played a youth game for any US team. He never had any doubt about who he wanted to play for. And he was at ManU at the age of 18.

Mix has gone back and forth. He has played youth games for Norway (against the U.S., no less!). And he hasn't played for a big club yet. Of course he seems like a very classy player, and I wouldn't be surprised by a move to a bigger club in the next two years.

Seriously?? To be honest, I have my doubts about whether Mix is really serious about playing for the U.S. He's already played for Norway's youth team. Every factor would seem to be pushing him towards playing for Norway. Until he's captied, I'll be thinking about Subotic when I think of Mix.

11. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A few of us chatted with him in another thread and yes he really wants to play for the USA and thinks of himself as an American. He has already represented the USA in the past so it is not a big stretch for him and he should fit into our system just fine.

12. spunk

spunk Member

May 23, 2008

It took a while for people to get used to the determination and national contributions of yet another guy that also enjoys soccer and that also has an "international" parental background.

I believe that that gentleman is named Obama

13. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

Yep...you right... Mix = Subotic

14. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

NOPE -> Mix = Subotic

15. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't see how we have anything to lose, when was the last time norway qualified for the world cup? If he works out we have a young talented winger starting in europe, if he changes his mind i don't mind too much at all. Same way I feel about castillo.

16. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't get me wrong. If a player can make the USMNT a better, deeper team, I'm all for them joining. I'm just skeptical that Mix will stick with us.

17. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001

God bless Mrs. Diskerud.

18. DrunkyV

DrunkyV New Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He just recently played in a U-20 game for us vs. Egypt. He was MOTM and score the only goal in a 1-0. At least things seem to be pointing in our direction, if anything.

19. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't worry much about this. Actual switches in federations are still quite rare. Especially in a case like Subotic where a player leaves a regular World Cup team like the USA (where he was wanted) to another European team that is good but not elite. There are so many weird circumstances with Subotic (U20 fall out with Rongen along with the fact he never felt home in any country) that make it such an unusual case.

Almost all switches in federations happen for one of two reasons

1) A player wantes to leave a national team he's not really good enough for to another national team he would play regularly for (Jones to USA, Alvarez to El Salvador)

2) A player wants to switch from playing for a small nation with little potential towards a much more powerful nation that could give far more opportunities. While guys like Rossi and Hargraves never switched, this is the same reason they chose Italy and England respectively.

If Mix keeps improving, I don't think #1 will happen. He'll probaby be good enough for a Gold Cup (and captying) senior team appearance before too long. And if Mix's game fades too much, Norway probably won't be that interested either.

I also don't see #2 happening. I respect the Norwegian team but they are not in the best of times right now. I don't see them getting to an elite level compared to the USA that would make Mix want to bolt our program. We will always have a much better shot of making the World Cup than Norway and if we keep improving, I think over time we will have a better chance at going further in the World Cup than them too.

It's not just the fact Mix's mother is American. I have read most of his family now lives in the United States (Arizona and the Bay Area in California).

Gotta love this quote from Mix

http://www.soccer365.com/us_news/story_1709210933.php

20. SoccerKowboy

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very good points, Shred. I suppose that as long as Norway is on the outside looking in in Europe, Mix will be ours. It's interesting because Norway has some good talent, Gamst, Hangeland, Riise, Carew, and up-and-coming talent like Skjelbred... you'd think they'd do better than they do internationally.

21. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

mix's quote:
    i think in europe they really believe this about us. so sometimes they hold back from giving our players the breaks they need.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

That may be part of his thinking along with Mom. :D I believe that Norway is sitting with 3 points dead last in its Euro qualifying group. The U.S. figures to be in World Cup every single time. If he can crack the U.S. roster, this is his chance to be in the World Cup. Not with Norway.

23. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can't wait for Global signing day.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  25. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well atleast Norway's got Brede Hangeland, so they got that goin' for them.