18 year old John Obi Mikel signs for Man Utd!

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Brunsen, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brunsen

Brunsen Member

Feb 16, 2004
    In a far off land
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Had a good showing during Finland 2003

"...will be a Manchester United player as of January 2006, he's signed a four year contract. United are yet to confirm, but Lyn has confirmed the story earlier this evening at a press conference. Has anyone seen him play? According to these links, he turned 18 last Friday and made his league debut just days ago. Apparantely Mourinho's been interested in him as well, but we've got him!

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/s...icle1029831.ece

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=275662

Links are in Norwegian... "

http://www.redcafe.net/showthread.php?t=75377

2. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    John Obi Mikel signed Manu!

John Obi Mikel signed for Manu this evening . Get shirt no 21.

The 18 y.o Nigerian wonderboy who play his first season for Lyn Oslo (norway)will play for Lyn this season and then leave for Manu in late autumn...

Midfielder .

3. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: John Obi Mikel

Thanks for the info. Hopefully he does end up joining with up and coming talent like Rossi.

4. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA

Great! We'll have one hell of a League Cup team for next year! I just can't wait to see him loaned to WBA in 3 or 4 years, too!

;)

5. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
  6. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA

Writing off the player? Who's done that? Not me, certainly.

Nah, I've written off SAF's recent refusal to play homegrown youngsters enough. He's created an impossible situation for himself where he only wants to play proven players, but won't allow his own youngsters the chance to prove themselves. So instead, we're stuck with tons of mediocre players purchased at exorbitant prices from other teams.

Rossi has evidently been a freaking stud of cosmic proportions on our reserve teams. Despite all of our offensive ineptitude and having nothing to play for in the EPL of late...he hasn't cracked the 1st team once in an actual game. If we're going to fail to score a goal anyway, why not let him have a shot? At least he'd care. Whatever...I've explained my opinions on this anyway.

I just don't see the point in poaching players like Rossi, Spector, and this kid...if you won't give them a chance. Players don't suddenly magically morph into 1st team players...they have to be played in games in a learning process. SAF's scared of that these days. Which is a stark contrast to his intrepid willingless to do so 10 years ago.

7. listen_up_fergie

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal

Sorry, slight misunderstanding...but Rossi's physical size means he'd get battered in the EPL. Spector...well it's kinda hard to get ahead of the Heinze and O'Shea in the pecking order. David Jones...hmm maybe its about time he got his chance.

8. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Re: John Obi Mikel signed Manu!

he will play for manu on their Asia tour in summer ,then play autumn season in norway.

he played his first league match for lyn last sunday!

9. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA

Zola. Owen. Ronaldo, last year. Giggs was small in the beginning. I just don't see it. There are plenty of small, successful players in the EPL. But when your attack sucks anyway, I just don't see the harm. Regardless, I've probably beating a dead horse here after voicing my opinion on this in other threads.

Still, I think SAF has shown a real reluctance to play youngsters and give them the experience they need. He won't play them until they're good, and they won't become good because he doesn't play them.

10. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, just for once, throw this lineup at 'em. :)

-------Rooney-----Smith-------
    Jones--Eagles--Rossi--Ronaldo
    -Spector--Rio--Pique--McShane-
    ------------Howard------------

11. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Re: John Obi Mikel signed Manu!

link?

12. listen_up_fergie

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal

It's like a catch-22. But don't forget that youngsters are given a chance...Fletcher for instance. Richardson was given his shot in a few Champs league games and cup games but didn't really impress, and so he didn't merit a run in the first team. The problem at the moment is that we aren't really in a position to risk playing youngsters. I support giving youngsters a go in the team, but when we need to win, you can never...um oops. Um, I just don't think some of the young uns are ready yet. You also don't want to play them when they've got really big expectations from the fans, as in Rossi's case. With all the hype surrounding him, there will be undue pressure from some fans, who will expect him to do a 'rooney' in his first game. There are some players who deserve a run in side, such as Jones, but in Rossi's case, I just think he's still young and needs time. He's only 17, and I know Wenger has played Fabregas, but even if Rossi doesn't get games regularly next season, I don't think it will seriously hamper his chances of making it into the United first team in the future.

13. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- "I am very happy. Not many people my age get chances like this. I am very happy to be a member of this club. It has been one of my dreams and goals."
    - John Obi Mikel -

14. The Devil is in Me

The Devil is in Me New Member

Feb 3, 2005

Does anyone have any info on him physically/style of play?

15. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA

No, Richardson was put in a position that almost guaranteed failure. Do you remember how terrible Fletcher was at first? He was like a walking pile of excrement on the field. Even staunch Fergie-backers were wondering if being Scottish had something to do with it (or whether Fletcher had compromising pictures of Fergie and Cantona, or something).

In the beginning, Richardson, not Fletcher, looked the better player on the pitch. But he was only given the occasional opportunity. Failing to impress in a single game that's a one-off isn't a chance: it's setting a guy up for failure.

Give a player a run in the team if you want them to have a chance. Not saying you should play all youth - but give Giggs a rest after 60 minutes when you're up 2-0. Or now, at the end of the season, when the vets are sucking and the league means very little...give him a full run in the team.

You can pick your spots and still give a youth player a real shot at breaking into the team, not these lame one-offs that guarantee failure.

Fletcher was given a chance - but only because the other options at his position were particularly dire. I mean, really - who else did we have at the time that could go forward better than a donkey? Nicky Butt?

16. skeeta

skeeta Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Central London
    This is what Mourinho said about him a few months ago:

"Our scouting department has found a lad of 17 who is training with me, seems like a mature man and a player with a lot of experience," said Mourinho.
    "He's Nigerian, plays in Norway and next season he will work with me and play in the reserve league.
    "If he grows the way I predict, we've found gold."
    However, with the player still being attached to a club in Norway, Chelsea could find themselves in a battle for his signature.
    Norwegian side Lyn claim that Mourinho is talking about their midfielder John Obi Mikel, and they say they have had no contact from Stamford Bridge officials.
    "I saw Mourinho's comments and was a bit surprised," said Lyn director of football Morgan Andersen.
    "I'm 99 percent sure it was Obi Mikel he was referring to, but he has a two-year contract with us.
    "We haven't agreed anything with Chelsea. It would have to be a matter of negotiation."

17. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    any clips??

18. omar_mufc

omar_mufc Member

Oct 19, 2004
    the class of 92 (becks, scholes, the nevilles and butt) didnt fully break into the team until they were about 20-22, give em time!!! becks was about 20 and he was on loan at preston, richardson certainly looks like he will make it at OT, whether its at LW or AM is another question, but he has certainly shown he has it to succeed, his free kick for WBA against blackburn was absoloute class, just smacked of golden balls in his prime, i personally think he's outshone david bentley (arsenal's own on-loan wonderkid), who hasnt done much for norwich, and he's had almost 8 months more experience than richardson, when i first saw richardson play for WBA, i thought he was just playing good for the first few months, and then he'd be back to his erratic self, but it seems he actually has added that consistency to his game now....

19. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!

The problem with the players you are comparing him with is they are either taller or stockier then he is. Every single reserve game I've watched (many games are played on Thursdays) Fergie is there, watching his charges. He knows when to bring players in.

I don't know if you read this or not:

And despite the likes of Ruud van Nistelrooy and Wayne Rooney being on the Reds’ books, Fergie rates the Iatlian as probably the coolest player in the penalty box.

"Giuseppe Rossi is improving all the time," Sir Alex Ferguson told manutd.com.

"He has got a bright future ahead of him.

"He is probably the coolest player at the club in terms of his play around the penalty box."

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/s...gie_predicts_bright_red_future_for_rossi.html

It's quite old, but it proves Fergie is watching him play. He is not physically ready for his chance in the EPL. If he played right now he would be smallest player who ever graced the league. SWP, Defoe, Vassell and Zola are stocky with muscular legs and a solid centre of gravity. Rossi looks like one push from a 6ft defender would pummel him into the grass..physically he is still a boy not just a short person. Playing him is a big risk right now imagine what Blackburn, Everton or a Birmingham City would do to him...if he is to get a chance this year it'll be against a 'footballing team' or a team that has nothing to play for now.

-----

This new signing is interesting. Will be interesting to see where he slots in or where he will be placed .

20. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Exactly. All the players were physically ready by the time they were fielded in the first team. Beckham had to fill out and get a build to him before he got anywhere near the 1st team. Rossi is only 17 and he's no man-boy like Rooney and nowhere near the physique of Ronaldo either. He needs time to fill out.

21. Omar23033

Omar23033 New Member

May 24, 2004
    I think next year we'll see Sir Alex going with more of a rotational squad style.. It will help keep Kean, Scholes, Giggs fit and let some of the younger lads play. Kleb and Fletch may play more, but i still expect Essien to be bought to add a DCM with great range to our midfield. The young guys really wont get a chance unless someone gets hurt, looks whos ahead of Rossi.. Rudd, Rooney, Smith, Saha, and Ronaldo (can play up front). Yet still i would like to see more young players loaned out . All we need is for Scholes to bag some goals, Rudd to find his legs, and for Kean to handle Arsenal in the tunnel before the FA cup final :D .

22. Ronaldo07

Ronaldo07 New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    is this guy defensive? anyway, Mourinho thinks he could be gold.

23. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dark Savante:

It is your contention, then, that SAF has experienced no diminishment in his willingness to play youth?

I find that hard to believe, personally. Once upon a team, it seemed they got their shots easier, and not just in the league cup.

24. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    If you check the ages of these starlets you will find nothing has changed. Rossi is just a prodigy at 17. We've never had a debutant make it who came into the 1st squad at 17 except for Giggs, and he was always a wirey wippet like physique and was strong enough for wing play when he burst on the scene. Listen up fergie, made a great point. The golden generation were not 'youth' (under 18) they were young men 20-22 and were physically ready. Rossi is a boy and imo he isn't physically ready for the demands of the EPL.

Like I said earlier, if he were built like Cesc or Rooney or whatever he'd have had a shot by now, imo. But he isn't, and I think holding him back until they think he is physcially ready is the right choice. David Jones is one I'd like to see given his chance though but even then I can understand the reasons for holding him back.

Fergie gave all those who were physically ready a few shots this year and he loaned those on the brink out. Richardson, Spector, Bardsley, Eagles all got a run out with the 1st squad this season.. they are all of a similar age and 3even 5years older than Rossi..in short, they are as close to men as they are going to get framewise and they can work on the build that goes on the basic frame in the gym. Rossi hasn't even got his full frame yet, imo. Neither has Jones but to a lesser extent.

I think you are seeing/hearing about the talent and then considering that to be what makes a player ready i.e if you're good enough you're old enough..that is true for players who have a big build in the first place. For instance, look at the teenage debutants this past few seasons - Milner, Rooney, Ronaldo, Cahill(not sure on his age) that 16year old at Everton, even the kid at Newcastle the 17y.o LW... they all are well built and generally ahead of their age group for physical development. Rossi is not, he's a frail schoolboy, for want of a better phrase. If we were talking about a La Liga chance I'd be more for him getting out their ASAP (he's the same build as Aimar right now) but we're not. We're talking about the rough and ready EPL.

He needs to natirally grow-up or, if he is to remain the same height, fill-out like Zola, Defoe, Vassell or SWP. He has no leg muscle mass like those guys and all 4 of them look like sturdy, annoyingly hard to knock over players because of that leg strength and low centre of gravity. Like I've already said, imo, if Rossi gets a shove from a 6ft + defender he will end up flying. Why have that happen unnesscessarily?

25. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    DS:

Just two points of contention, right now, that I care to argue:

(1) Spector was given a chance to impress (because of injuries and Heinze's absence)...and generally did. He was, in fact, better than O'Shea this season in his limited opportunity. He also arguably outplayed Silvestre and Brown, at the time. Yet we haven't seen him again, except on the bench.

Even you seemingly admit he's close to physically ready (at least at fullback...even I wouldn't argue he's ready for CB). Why hasn't he been given a shot against weaker teams at RB?

(2) I disagree with your assessment of Zola and SWP. I think they're both frail weaklings who succeed because of their delightful, silky skills (though you're right about guys like Owen).

Since Zola and Rossi are both Italian, you're clearly wrong.

;)