18,430 is the MAGIC number to reach 15,000

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pc4th, Oct 23, 2003.

1. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    San Jose 15,000
    Dallas 9,000
    DC 24,000
    Columbus 23,500
    New England 18,000
    avg. = 17,900

2. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11,000 is not realistic for a Revs game. 15,000 is realistic, since thats close to the season average. Its the last game of the year and its against the Metrostars, i think there will be a nice turnout, but not 22K. 18K-20K seems reasonable.

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Not necessarily. If events are sponsored by a third party (like say Bank of Korea for Korean Night), then the Galaxy may be getting compensated for tickets that the sponsors then give away.

I'm not saying this is true in every case, but it may be the case in some instances.

There are free tickets and then there are free tickets, if you know what I mean.

Sachin

4. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    At the same time, Sachin, 'Carlos's main problem seems not to be with the fact that the tickets may or may not being paid for so much as the core fans who do pay full price have felt used like tools this season when they look around and see so many people (without their commitment) getting into matches at cut rates.

That bitterness is somewhat understandable.

The whole problem of not selling out the most expensive seats . . . I think that is just going to take some time to work out. Hopefully AEG will be able to find a breaking even point between charging a fair price for a great experience and charging higher prices, but not getting any revenues due to fewer fans opting to buy the seats.

I am still pretty encouraged by LA's attendance, overall. The fact remains that even with the HDC high prices, MLS pales in comparison to the cost of the average major league sport (in the US). If Dallas were charging those kinds of prices, it would be one thing. But AEG deserves to be able to crank up the prices some if they are willing to lay themselves on the line they way they did to make the HDC happen. And I think fans will generally support them.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I can understand that sentiment from 'Los. Ticket prices probably are too high, but I don't know what the market will bear.

Sachin

6. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Playoff attendance will almost certainly set records this year due to the elimination of game 3's. Teams will have weeks to prepare for and market each game. Also, the conference finals have been reduced to one game, which will further drive up attendance.

I think these decisions make good sense but if they do pay off we should temper claims of increased league popularity.

As for the 15k barrier, I think it's quite possible we'll make it. Since '99, the league hasn't failed to reach about 20k on the last weekend. The 2001 final weekend was cancelled but a lot of tickets had been sold.

7. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not $22 for the cheapest seat and $10 for parking. The cheapest that a couple could get in for would be $54. (they do have family packs for $78) Put it this way: I was down in LA in July and wanted to go to a game. my girlfriend was curious about HDC and her interest was piqued. She asked how much tix were. she was floored, but thought maybe parking was cheap. She quickly did the math and realized that for $54 bucks we could go to a great club, dance, have a few drinks, take a taxi home (like responsible citizens) and have a blast. So she refused to go.

If the tix had been $16 or even $18, she wouldn't have even asked about the parking, we would've gone, she would've insisted on getting beer and a snack. We would have spent more than $54! And the Galaxy would build word of mouth b/c she would have told family and friends about the game.

8. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday's games

at DC 17,000 at New England 18,500
    at San Jose 12,000
    at Dallas 5,000

Sunday's game

at Columbus 14,500

9. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England - 13,000 (4pm start)
    DC United - 17,500
    Dallas - 8,500
    San Jose - 14,000
    Columbus - 18,500

hopefully I'm way off but I doubt it, I'm usually right about everything, MLS prove me wrong for once...I want that 15,000 average

10. Hoje

Hoje New Member

Jun 9, 2003
    LA
    Great observation, you should send a note to the Galaxy FO.

11. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it will not happened.
    NE: 12,492 (where are the other 9,500?)

12. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC: 19,797

13. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    Good job DC. :) Too bad about New England, they really need to get some heads rolling this off-season...

14. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Too bad about New England, they really need to get some heads rolling this off-season...KEEP87

I'm afraid you are right here. The sad thing is the 12,500 seemed bigger than most of the crowds we have had this season. A sad, sad commentary on the mismanagement of this franchise on the business side. On the football side, we finally have a really fun, exciting team to watch; well-coached and playing with style. Too bad the Patriots staffers havemanaged to do just about everything wrong on the marketing side.

JIM DOW

15. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8,913 at Dallas

16. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16,282 at San Jose
    Great job SJ

17. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, so if my math is not failing me 34866 would have been needed in Columbus/Chicago? to get the 15K avg....Pretty tough even if in Chicago, impossible if in Columbus....Ok i need to get some sleep now

18. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus possibly the best goalscorer in the league when he's healthy.

So the obvious year end issues are:

San Jose, Dallas and the continuing decline in attendance for the Revs.

The view on Dallas is that all problems will be solved when they open up Frisco in 2005. I think this is a dangerous approach, myself.

Successes are:

Chicago (particularly the last two games), LA and Kansas City.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thanks! :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp For reasons mentioned earlier in this thread, it's likely that the Earthquakes can start drawing a decent five-digit average attendance for 2004 like they did in their early-MLS years. :D

-G

20. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Being atleast once at HDC for total of $54 for 2 is priceless.

However, I see your point.

I would have priced the seats from $20-$40 for non Club Seats instead of $22-$45 for single games.

I don't see HDC ever being less than $20 for a single game.

21. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    No great job to the LA Galaxy, for bringing the SJ fans out to see them play SJ.

22. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    50 or 60 LA fans brought out 16,000 Quakes fans? Good thing you're not full of yourself :rolleyes:

23. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know nothing of the situation so this is just me guessing, but how come the only time San Jose draws any #'s is when they have their final game of the season against LA, LA's fans have to have something to do with that #, its happend the past two years, its not like all of a sudden SJ has fans...

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Your post should've ended right there.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp You mean it's not like all of a sudden SJ drew +10k crowds in its last six home games, including two +13k games (only one of which was a doubleheader with the USWNT), a +12k game and last night's +16k game (of which only 60-70 were fans from LA)? Did fans of DC, Colorado, New England, Dallas and the MetroStars decide to fly out to San Jose en masse to bump up the attendance? :rolleyes:

-G

25. dcrpoop

dcrpoop BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 15, 2000
    Hell'sKitchen is my
    Yea what a sports business wizard. If the Galaxy or any other team charge what you suggest than there would be no team to stay in BUSINESS. MLS is already by far one of the cheapest sports around. Stop complaining and support you club A** H8Le.