16 year old Saint Louisian Brandon Manzonelli signs with Spain's Villa Real.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by soccertom, Aug 25, 2006.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Some interesting stuff.....

http://www.stlsoccer.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3397

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I havent bumped something in a looooong time.......:D

3. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    interesting info, straight from the horse's mouth.

What type of player was he before he went to Europe? Was he at the ODP regional or national level, just state level? How good is he really?

EDIT: looking through this thread, it appears he wasn't in ODP at all or got cut proir to showing up on regional rosters. Interestink.

4. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    Doesn't this sound like a wild scenario for an unknown 16 year old American? Have we had any confirmation of this other than at his own website? I really want to believe! :)

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Hope he was flying Ryanair, that's a lot of movin' around.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A very important tactical point - crossing from near the touchline, so the defenders have to have backs to either the goal or forwards they are marking.

That is rarely done in MLS also.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Fingers crossed on this kid.

Sounds like he could be special, but it's easy to sound special on paper based on where you play as a teenager.

Not ready to pencil him in as a starting right mid in South Africa, but I hope our YNTs start integrating him into the US camp ASAP.

8. paul7

paul7 New Member

Nov 6, 2006
    He was never really allowed to play his style here in the US.

Pass, Pass, Pass was what he was told.

Therefore he appeared to be a very average player.

It wasn't until he was in England that he met several people that saw what kind of player he really was that were willing to give him these opportunities.

9. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Something like his Mom paid for all the soccer channels, so everytime he saw a move in the game, he would try it right away in the living room. He would do it repeatly until he is good on it. By himself, he is C. Ronaldo style.

I don't think he can survive any US youth Nats where one and two touches are kings.

10. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever becomes our new senior national team coach needs to have control of the youth programs as well. We need to get this kid into U-17 camp STAT and get new coaches that will not stifle his creativity.

11. paul7

paul7 New Member

Nov 6, 2006

He has no problem with one and two touch because that is exactly what he was taught to do at his club, but he is just capable of so much more.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Unfortunately, he's about nine days too old for the current U17 national team. He was born 12/23/89 and the current 17s are for kids born 1/1/90 or later.

He is eligible for our U18 National Team, and while the 18s don't have a world championship to play in like the 17s and 20s do, they do have a lot of camps and play in tournaments around the world, etc... So, hopefully the next time they get together, he gets a call.

In theory, he could also play with the current U20 team - Freddy and Jozy and 89s, and Jozy is fairly late, though not as late as Manzo - so it's not impossible he could get a look from Rongen. And, if you pencil in a lineup for the 20s, rigtht mid is the one position w/out a glaringly obvious answer (presuming Quavas Kirk plays right back) so it's not that outlandish an idea.

Perhaps after qualifying, Rongen will give him a look, too.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, if it's Sigi, then I don't hold much hope for improvement.

14. bigjoe

bigjoe Red Card

Nov 10, 2006
    Anyone ever post this link?

Here's the kid!

http://www.manzosoccer.com/

About Me (Eat your heart out, Brad Davis :)

I HAVE VERY, VERY QUICK FEET.
    I can do lots of tricks with my Freestyle Juggling.
    I have many soccer tricks/moves in my locker.
    Moves:
    Castro (Elastica)
    Swerve
    Cruyff
    Garrincha
    Stanley Mathews
    Scissors Move
    Rivelino
    Precki Roll Over
    Shuffle
    C. Ronaldo
    Precki Cut (My comment: Yowza! Why hasn't Adu learned this?)
    Behind Back V
    Scissors Turn
    Sniper
    Block Turn
    Inside of Foot Turn
    Drag Scissors
    Half Garrincha
    Drag Shuffle
    Double Shuffle Castro
    Step Pull Turn
    Double Lunge
    Precki Scissors
    Outside Foot Flick
    Behind Back Swerve
    Shot Fake Cut
    Stepovers
    Scissors, etc....

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think this is a very fair statement. If our next U20 coach brings in a Benny Feilhaber, Lee Nguyen and Marvell Wynne - all of whom weren't in the YNT system till Sigi brought them in - I think we'll all be pretty pleased.

Sigi isn't perfect but he's got a good eye for talent (though cutting Charlie Davies was questionable) and he certainly can identify good talent.

Look at his first U20 team - Cherundolo, Bocanegra, Gibbs, Howard, Albright, Twellman, Rimando, Califf, Garcia, Pierce, Thorrington - that's a pretty talented core.

He may not be the best at grooming that talent, but really, a YNT coach doesn't really spend that much time with the players and it's the job of their club coaches to do that.

16. Farm Boy

Farm Boy New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    December birthday. Those guys generally quit ODP after a couple of years. They have no chance at being selected unless they are really big & really fast for their age, especially in Region 2, which is even more interested in brute-strength players than the other Regions.

As for the other topic of discussion, about how Brandon was allowed to dribble in Spain but not in the U.S., I doubt it. That doesn't ring true to me. I think that the real story is, he dribbled a lot as a winger in the U.S., he went to England and played in that style and they dinged him, he went to Spain and played in that style and they liked him.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think "grooming" was what I was trying to address. I just didn't see much improvement from his Galaxy players while his Crew team was just awful from day one.

I mean, we're just showing/talking about Manzo's coterie of moves (though he could have just said, "I copied Garrincha and his 100 moves" and that would have sufficed) and I can't think of a single Galz/Crew member who has become an expert at any of this. It was all 1960's German style long-ball.

18. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    has this kid ever been confirmed, outside of his own website and forum?

19. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Valid question. I've actually never seen a "official" article or link from Villareal saying the kids on the team. If he isn't man did this kid get us good.

20. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. shadrach

shadrach Goldenchild

Jan 19, 2002
    quit being nosy...
    What exactly are you looking for? Confirmed in what way?....that he actually exists and is at Villareal or that he is talented? Do you think he's making all of this up or do you doubt Villareal's scouts' ability to recognize talent?

What do you mean?

22. Farm Boy

Farm Boy New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Confirmation from a source besides the kid's own website that what is on his website is correct.

23. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    To be fair, Brad pulled off a nice move with his left on MLS Cup. :p

24. paul7

paul7 New Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Well the STLSoccer.net is not his web site so it isn't as if he is posting this info on his own site.

His site is ManzoSoccer.com

The news is also on his old youth club site. ScottGallagher.com which also isn't his site.

He is a flair dribbler, but can also one and two touch. That is what his old youth club is known for.

He also is a good kid with a terrific personality and if his luck continues he will be the sort of person you would want to see succeed. :)

25. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From his own web site...
    Brandon Manzonelli

Family: Manzonelli, Catherine

Primary email: CManzonelli@ScottGallagher.com

Number: 7

Nickname: Brandinho or Manzo

Position: Wing-mid/Forward

School: Lafayette High

Grade: 10th

Graduation Date: May 28, 2008

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 150

Birthday: December 23

Place of Birth: St. Louis, Missouri US <<<<<<<**********

Web Site: http://www.manzosoccer.com/

My Favorites

Athletes: Cristiano Ronaldo, Ronaldinho
    Sports Teams: Manchester United, Barcelona

Career Highlights

Missouri (1989) State ODP Team 2004-2005
    Missouri State Cup Winner 2003, 2005
    Missouri State Cup Runner Up 2004
    US Club National Runner Up 2004
    Named to Top Drawer Soccer's Top Collegiate Prospects of 2008
    Varsity High School Player/Starter, Freshmen and Sophomore Years
    Lafayette High School's Single Season Top Goal Scorer and Assist leader of 2005
    Will be featured in a UEFA-Grassroots Film Documentary which will be streamed later this summer on their UEFA.COM website to potentially 2 billion people
    Will also be featured in a MATRIX ACADEMY DVD (Lancashire, England)
    Has had a training session with Blackburn Rovers (Blackburn, England) and has been invited back this summer for tryouts
    Have done camps with Manchester United, AJAX and Arsenal

About Me

I HAVE VERY, VERY QUICK FEET.
    I can do lots of tricks with my Freestyle Juggling.
    I have many soccer tricks/moves in my locker.
    Moves:
    Castro (Elastica)
    Swerve
    Cruyff
    Garrincha
    Stanley Mathews
    Scissors Move
    Rivelino
    Precki Roll Over
    Shuffle
    C. Ronaldo
    Precki Cut