15-Yr Old Animation Producer Challenges Empire, Gets Ugly Slurs...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From all over the Googlesphere, but specifically from here:

I'm sure. It's odd, the indictment of the practice of democracy by others vis-a-vis the employment of the tools of that selfsame democracy. It must be that some feel that the nation's rights only applies fully to those to fully support the acts of the nation's officeholders.

Sounds like some regimes we've seen go the ignominy to which we're sentencing ourselves...

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who talks that way to a kid, anyway? Cripes.

3. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The simple fact of the matter is that 35% or so of this country will support this war, and most of what this administration does, NO MATTER WHAT.

Literally, the President could shoot his wife in the head, and they would support it as the true American thing to do.

The problem is, the house of cards has fallen completely apart, with the illusions about faith, loyalty, bringing honor to the White House, protecting you against citizens, small conservative government, etc... all that stuff is GONE now.

The only recourse is to change your mind, or viciously attack anything that might mess up your viewpoint.

And only losers and commies change their mind...

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That isn't the problem - the problem is the smaller but not insignifigant number of people who act like the people who sent the death threats. I can't really understand such people, but I have seen them before. It's like they have no moral sense beyond "OBEY".

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anonymity makes evey the weakest person bold. What those "people" said is deplorable and besides needing a good smack to head they need a lesson about the principles of the country they claim is theirs.

6. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those boards need BS moderators.

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why, but I just thought about the abuse Hank Aaron endured as he passed Babe Ruth's home run record. This fifteen year-old is another Hammerin' Hank, IMO.

8. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Oh, puhhleeze.

You ever spend anytime reading the wonderful sentiments of some of the anonymous posters on Democratic Underground or Kos?

I wouldn't want them dating YOUR sister, despite what little I think of you.

Or do you even listen to what Al Franken says about having Dick Cheyney whacked?

Neither side of the political spectrum has a monopoly of complete and total graciousness. There are vicious potentially violent a$$holes on either side.

By the way, this 15 year old has some talent. That she puts it into the service of these views is in my view misguided, but it's a free country.

9. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Moral equivalence, Dick Cheney is 85 years old. This girl is 15.

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Wow. That is some powerful stuff.

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sounds like there are a few crazy morons loose in the internet. That's Empire?

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

She wasn't challenging the morons. Try a second read of the subject. ;)

13. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Threatening to kill is threatening to kill. THAT'S equivalence, pal.

14. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Link please.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was questioning Mel's motives, not hers. I think he's trying to make the comments of a few crazy morons in the internet into some sort of proof of an emerging fascist empire.

Or maybe I'm missunderstanding. How do you interpret this?

16. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If mooncalves like these had their way, and people like Ava silenced themselves, we'd be no different then crap empires and dictatorships that have leapt onto the wasteheap of history before us. It's about the idiots, not about the Great Experiment. Now, I'll aruge that the Experiment is faltering precisely because idiots have inordinate power, but that's not my argument here...

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That is true. But let's not overreach with our conclusions. Mooncalves like these don't have their way. There are places in the world where such an open challenge to those in power would lead to imprisionment or worse. Thankfully that is not the case here. The site is allowed to proclaim its point of view openly for all of us to see and judge, and that is as it should be. Has it been shut down?

The fact that a few idiots resort to such insults is not an indictment of our society, or of our chosen government, regardless of how we may feel about the policies of said government. Now if there is a way to show a connection between the harassers and those in power, then you're on to something more serious.

Do you think there's a real connection there, and is that your legitimate concern? I doubt you'd be opening a thread just to condem a few anonymous idiots.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Sure they do, but are death threats a form of freedom of speech? I'm pretty sure they are illegal in most parts of the world.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Then most of the people who post in rivalries should be arrested.

20. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting this story Mel. This little 15-year old has some chops. Good for her.

There are plenty of freaks on both sides of the political spectrum, neither of them serve our best interests. Unfortunately, in today's media culture, he who screams loudest carries the day, so polarized views are all that most people hear.

When sickos come out to attack a 15-year old girl for speaking truth to power, you know she's hit a nerve.

21. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the extent that they contribute to the silencing of dissent, that is my concern. Remember, we're all living in and reacting to a slightly different time than, say, 2003, when the sentimentality of silencing dissent, of looking at those who didn't back this President as less than interested in the best for and of America, was the new black.

22. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    There are idiots all over the internet

Case in point, the starter of this thread Melvin

23. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Now that she has some noteriety Im sure there are 'operatives' investigating her. Surely she has a blemish which can be magnified so as to render anything she produces irrelevant.

24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Its about time. Now, I need to catch my train - I have a feeling its going to be on time.

25. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nothing yet. Just challenging power, and being told as a result that her rotting corpse would be raped. Welcome to America, 2006.