15 years ago

Discussion in 'Olympique de Marseille' started by Catel, May 29, 2008.

1. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There was this little event.

But, on contrary to the 30th birthday of the Scottish Square Posts (1st reportage on TV news in 2006), nobody mentioned it on TV nor in newspapers...

Why are we so losers ?

2. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, 15 years and 3 days now. :p There was apparently a nice program about it on Saturday, but I obviously wouldn't have seen it.

It's anniversary is obviously a reminder of the decline that has taken place, obviously partially due to the scandal but also the horrible management. And then the current climate of European football just makes it very hard for a club from France to win it. Monaco nearly did it, of course, and then I thought Lyon had a good chance in 06/07, when they were playing very well in the league and had beaten Madrid twice in the group stage. Ah well....one day. Maybe.

The first step, of course, is to win something.

3. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Isn't the Intertoto Cup something ? :D

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Blame the EPL and its lust for foriegners. Notice how few French players go to Italy anymore. Heck there used to be a time when even a team like Parma was signing French players. The only chance French teams have is if the "6+5 rule" goes into effect and even then I still wouldnt be confident.

Look at the rosters of the Ligue 1 teams. Its most French and African players. We cant even sign any good European internationals. The best they can do is find some diamond in the rough from South America.
    Rudi Voller was on that 93 OM team. No way they could sign a European international like that today.

5. Football1970

Football1970 New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    The Marseille team of the early 90s was the best club team in history. Teh magical trio of Papin-Abedi Pele-Waddle can never be matched again.

6. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I didnt realize that Waddle and Papin were not on the European Cup winning team. Its interesting that they left and the team still won it.