13 years ago today

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Phil Cheesesteak, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Phil Cheesesteak

Phil Cheesesteak New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    just a trip down memory lane.

december 22, 1995 was a monday, but here were the games in what was then the only winter-time indoor soccer league (the cisl played that summer prior and the one after):
    • without otto orf (back) and tommy tanner (hamstring) and with hector marinaro (knee) and zoran karic (ankle) playing little, the cleveland crunch beat the canton invaders 17-10 in front of 1,594 at the canton civic center. doug miller and andy schmetzer had three two pointers apiece in the crunch's win.
    • elsewhere in ohio, the cincinnati silverbacks fell to the harrisburg heat 8-7 at 2,013 looked on. the late domenic mobilio scored the game-winner.
    • another intimate gathering (1,608) at the bayfront center in st. petersburg watched the expansion tampa bay terror get its first home win, beating the buffalo blizzard 15-9.
    • in one of the npsl's neutral site games (which were really just a chance to keep chicago from playing at home as much as possible), the chicago power got one of their six wins on the season, beating the detroit rockers 18-9 in front of 2,058 at new haven, connecticut. eloy salgado, acquired the week prior in a trade with milwaukee, scored three two-point goals for the power, who were not long for this world.
    • and lest ye think it was all rockford vs. massachusetts, the st. louis ambush beat the wichita wings 19-11 as a crowd of 12,389 saw kevin hundelt score three two-point goals for the home team.

hope you enjoyed this look back. happy holidays, everybody.

2. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    That Eloy Salgado was a weird looking fella, eh?

I saw Hundeldt's son play my hometown high school team this year. It made me feel old.

I really thought the Terror would make it.;)

That was before the league had a website, if I'm not mistaken. Or, maybe it was before I had a computer, because I used to get their newsletters in the mail. Good times.

3. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at a Chicago Power-Kansas City Attack game at the UIC Pavilipn that season and Selgado had five goals, but the Attack won in the end. I was sitting right near a couple of Attack team officials, probably the owner and GM. The owner asked what Selgado's salary was and the GM said "around $25,000." The owner said, "You're kidding, let's get him." They had him within a week.

4. Phil Cheesesteak

Phil Cheesesteak New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    right you are. mostly.

salgado went for the cycle in that 19-17 loss to kansas city on 1/28/06. however, it was early march before the trade happened.

the power dumped a bunch of talent at the trade deadline 'for cash and future considerations' (as if the power had any future): salgado to kanasas city, tony bono to milwaukee, joey kirk to st. louis and dave hoggan to wichita.

there were only seven games left in the season/their existence when they dumped those guys, and, oddly enough, they managed to win two of the seven.

5. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I was offered a job with the Power around this time, IIRC. They brought in a new GM from Philly who knew of me and knew I lived in Chicago. I turned down the job because I wasn't sure how much longer indoor soccer was gonna survive in Chicago, plus it was less money than the meager salary I was making at the time. But I offered to help out on game days as a nice guy. My first experience meeting Pudgy...I could tell within 30 seconds that he wished I was on the other side of the planet. The feeling? Mutual.