12 goals in 3 games. This is FCD '06

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by wcharriscpa, Apr 17, 2006.

1. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 games. 12 goals.

You know, I commented after the opening match against Chicago that we would be in for a hell of a season. As we watched our boys take 3 points against the hated fire, it seemed to confirm everyone's hopes that this team could and would score some goals. But it also confirmed our fears related to the team's defense.

And the two games that followed have borne this out.

We will score. They will score. And, to date, our guys have scored (at least) as many as the opponents.

(Some would argue that we even scored more than Colorado....but nevermind)

I'm not sure I can say that I like the way our boys are playing. I like the results, sure. But there seems to be a distinct lack of ability to knock the ball around, to take the air out of the ball when necessary. Granted, this most recent match was the first in which we hadn't given up the opening goal. But it seems we only have one speed -- "go for it."

And, yes, that can certainly be entertaining. It's a lot of fun to attack, attack, attack. But that's not really imposing your will on somebody, is it? That's just doing one thing really well. To be successful over the entire season will require the ability to do both -- attack, and possess.

For now, I don't think our central midfield options have been able to dictate the game very well in this regard.

Perhaps that will change when Mulrooney comes back? We'll see. I'm hopeful.

I'm not meaning to be critical here. Just wondering if anybody else is (as I am) happy with the results, but also noticing some warning signs.

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goals are good.

The more, the merrier.

3. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like goals for the opposition.

Not good for my heart, you know?

4. The Wanderer2

The Wanderer2 New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    I missed the Colorado game, but I couldn't agree more. I had the same conversation with Chamo at the DC tonight. One speed works fine when the weather's cooler, but what the frick are we going to do when it gets balls to the walls hot and humid this summer. We're going to have to possess much, much, better.

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer FCD goals, obviously.

But any goals are better than none, IMHO.

6. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock
    I dont think we would even be having this discussion if it werent for a couple of really fluke occurances. I really doubt that goals like this will be a common occurance throughout the year. If it werent for two gifts Colorado probably gets one goal at the most. The linesman doesnt miss Goodson's goal and its 3-1 so 12 goals with a differnt spin.

7. jinxproof

jinxproof New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    The Colorado game was uuuuuugly. We didn't control the game at all. While i do love the results and the attacking, it has been pretty ugly soccer. our midfield has not been controling the flow of play and we seem to be either on "attack speed" or "defend for our lives." If we are going to go all the way this season, we are going to need to hold the ball up and maintain posession for prolong periods of time. If we do that, we are going to take a lot of pressure of of our back four. it is all about holding on to the ball....controling the play...making it our game. it seems that the past 3 games have proved this is my mind.

8. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might be right that I would not have been motivated to write tonight about our "attack-or-defend" -oriented team had we been sitting on 9 points. But it would have reared its head eventually.

If we cannot possess the ball when the situation dictates, then we're in for a season of early 2-0 leads that result in a sharing of points (or worse) because we ran ourselves out of the match in the first half.

9. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Mulrooney is coming guys.....Mulrooney is coming. Just remember how money we were last year with him. With Mark Wilson coming on strong in the midfield, Ramon Nunez coming back to form(he was very energetic last night in the 30 or so minutes he played), and Marcos Charras coming into the mix soon....look out we're going to be the best team in the league by October...just the right time.

10. jinxproof

jinxproof New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Man I hope so... our midfield has resembled an amorphous blob with no shape whatsoever. clarke needs to get something worked out quick!

of course I might just be watching too much prem league soccer and setting my standards a bit high....

wait....no. i expect our teams to at least hold up to relegation level teams

11. The Wanderer2

The Wanderer2 New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Couldn't agree more.

12. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    Today's high (and it's mid-April, mind) is 98 effing degrees. Luckily by Saturday, we're projected to be back down in the low-mid 80's, but still. We're not far off from having this problem already.