12/5 Revs News: Revs select Danleigh Borman in Re-Entry Process

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I'm not a fan. In fact, IMO he is one of the weakest wing backs in the league. Why unload a group of weaker players, only to replace them with more of the same?

2. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Not too familiar with him. Appears to be a journeyman already. Hope he can help!

3. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the way I understand it, Borman must be paid at least the $42,000 he received last season, and the only reason he's not just getting that number it seems is that he's out of contract and could leave MLS for a slight pay raise.

4. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he's a left back, so that's something. And he has great pace and gets up and down the field pretty well. Beyond that I'm not sure about this. Looks a lot like a left-sided Alston to me, but I'm not sure where he is on the quality scale relative to Alston.

Anyone know about his international status?

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's better going forward than Alston, but not even in the same league defensively. He's prone to bad marking.

He's also not a Rev yet. He doesn't have to sign with us.

6. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree. Perhaps Jay Heaps, who evolved from weak to respectable over the course of his career, thinks he can coach Borman up a notch or two. At $45K, it's not the end of the world.

7. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    He's South African but played college soccer at URI. I'm hoping he has a green card, if not, it seems like a wasted signing IMO.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a serviceable left back for subbing, injury/suspension starts and the Open Cup. Not a big deal either way.

Like Ryan Cochrane last year, if he ends up starting or playing more than half the available minutes, then there will be some serious problems. Used the right way, why not take a flyer on the guy?

So now that we've picked out the wallpaper we want to use in the upstairs bathroom of the house we're building, maybe we should meet with the builder and make sure the foundation is being dug correctly and that the well water isn't contaminated.

9. Braino

Braino Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Yes, Green Card.

10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well at least that's good news. With a minimum salary and a green card, I like this potential acquisition. He's at least an MLS experienced player at a position where we typically have had very little depth.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burns did say they would not only be looking at this process for starters but as depth too. At 45k a year, probably not a bad move if they can sign him

12. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    He's fine--as a backup.

As long as we're not penciling him in as a starter, no problem.

I said the same thing before last season about Cochrane, by the way, who had never in his career been a consistent starter.

13. NERhooligan

NERhooligan Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If this was a move made for depth then I don't mind it. I'll wait and see who else gets picked up before I complain.

14. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now we know why. How come so many saw what SN never could?

15. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The best thing about Borman is that his first name is an adverb - "Bravo, that was danleigh done." or "She walked danleigh to the kitchen." It means to do something in the same manner as Danleigh Borman would do it.

16. ntolman

ntolman BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Montreal is looking at getting Anelka and we're picking up scraps?

17. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This better be for depth. He's not good enough to be a starter, but he can provide cover for left back and left mid which is nice. What I'm mostly afraid of is that Chris Tierney will still be a starter next year, because I was hoping HE would become the left back/mid depth and they would revamp our left side.

18. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This better be for depth. He's not good enough to be a starter, but he can provide cover for left back and left mid which is nice. What I'm mostly afraid of is that Chris Tierney will still be a starter next year, because I was hoping HE would become the left back/mid depth and they would revamp our left side.

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are we gonna compete with a team that was among the top 7 in the NASL last year and plays in a cosmopolitan metropolis of nearly 1.8 million people? We're a small market club in a backwater area of little importance to the nation and the world, a city and region will little sports tradition and almost no history. Can anyone name even one famous person who once called Boston home? OK, you're right, that guy who rode around in a tank when he was sunning for president, but no one even remembers his name. Plus, it's not like it's much of a college town or anything.

I wish we could compete with the big market clubs in Columbus, Kansas, and Utah, but it's simply a matter of resources. The big media markets have it, but sadly we don't.

20. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need scraps just to fill the roster holes from our waivers. Doing one thing doesn't mean you aren't doing something else.

I'm one of the negative ones and even I recognize that.

21. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Considering we've offloaded much of what was considered our 'depth' from this past season, there's nothing wrong with adding a player like Borman, particularly at the price tag. A versatile left-sided player with speed and a decent cross can be a dangerous late-sub and I accept this signing as a positive direction only under the assumption that Borman is set to be a minimal role player.

22. NERhooligan

NERhooligan Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    especially when down a goal and in need of some offensive minded players

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    What makes you think he couldn't? Cochrane only played as much as he did because no one stood out and pushed him to the bench more often.

24. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006

It shouldn't surprise anybody that by the first kickoff in March that Montreal will be a stronger team then the Revs on paper.