12/4/04 Matchday 16: Chelsea FC v. Newcastle [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Dec 1, 2004.

1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    if you guys think that BUTT is not that good, why is Sven choosing him for the national squad? Also, last time we played the Magpies, they held us scorless for 90 min. That however was with our so-called "reserves". Are we possibly looking for a 1-0 result at best, or do you think wiht our regulars, we can knock in 2 or 3?

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Do you have any idea of the can of worms you're opening up with that question? Why was Phil Neville on the pitch against Portugal?

The only thing that matters is the "3" in the points column. If we somehow won 0-0, I'd take it.

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Yes, with 0-0 wins, Chelsea would be the best team on the planet. oh well.

4. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Well, Milan were the best team in Europe after a 0-0 win two years ago, so as I said, I'd take it.

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    That brings me to a question, "why not make every game a loss or a win with penalties? i wonder how teams would be ranked if there were no draws at all. I'm sure you'll say that it;s not possible b/c then, many so-so teams will get lucky and play a good scorless game and then get lucky on penalties. hmmmm

i know, dumb question

6. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Stepping carefully around the can, though I know you rate Parker lower than I do, how do you rate him for England, especially in relation to Butt, P. Neville, Hargreaves and Carrager? (that grouping seems to be Sven's not mine)

7. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    For my Canadian compatriots the chelsea/newcastle game will be live on Sportsnet 4:30am pst & 7:30am est.

oh, and the Porto CL match will be tuesday 11:30 on TSN. :)

8. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I think Parker is better than Butt and Phil Neville, neither of whom are combative enough anymore, or I doubt if they ever were. I haven't seen enough of Hargreaves recently, although he's been on good form, supposedly, for Munich. I rate him a bit more than Parker, although I think his skills have grown. Parker can too - he's still very, very young. I think Carragher, at this point, is exclusively a defender in Sven's mind. Carragher is a good player, but I don't think he's as good as the top 5 England CBs. I think he's a good squad player, however, since he can also play RB.

9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I knew you were more sensable than Sven, even about Parker:), sorry I know that is not sayng much, I really have not seen enough of Hargreaves myself to have a strong opinion yet, sort of like Tiago at first in that I have neither seen him do anything bad nor spectacular but overall very solid (though I think Tiago is begining to show a stronger presense and potential of late)

10. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply put, Chelsea FC's destiny, in all competitions, is in their own hands. Wins or draws do them well, losses, obviously, do not. Newcastle's match, as well as next week's against the Arse, are equally important.

11. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    All you need to know is that he's a Canadian footballer, who most Canadian football afectionados detest.:( (jeez my posts have become quite CanuckCentric as of late:D)

12. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do ya think. 2 - 0, to the Mags.

13. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    never drink n post lalala i'm doin it now raspbettry sour puss & okanogan springs Beer
    amy got voted of survivor weeeeee! 5%+5%+7%+.....? chelsea rules bazditches!

see ya tomorow gang!

14. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    comon tapelle tu. :D :D :D I think thats how you say it. It's been years since i learned French.

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I was sad. Amy is hot I thought in a lesbian sort of way.

16. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hehehe, dammit, those Canadians are always having more fun! ;)

My prediction? 2-1 to Chels, hard fought battle, Eidur and Lamps to score.

17. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    This has the look of a 1-0, or 0-0 tie.

I hope someone at Stamford Bridge (Head of the Stewards?) gets there early enough to guarantee the Newcastle team bus isn't parked in front of their goal. I would demand that they park the bus in a preapproved space outside the stadium.

Then the head steward should confiscate the keys.

And don't fall for that line about 'needing the keys to go get something to eat....'

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I think Newcastle will come at us, actually, since I don't think their defense is solid enough to hold us back for 90 minutes. Especially with so little bit in midfield.

19. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The cold lens of sobriety predicts a 1-0 victory to the Blues:cool:

20. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  21. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    "Alan Shearer’s thigh strain will not be risked and also missing is Nicky Butt from the midfield plus defenders Stephen Carr and Andy O’Brien."

Carr will not be there to mark Robben. 3-0 to the Blues:)

22. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Yep, couldn't agree more.
    They haven't exactly been known for their defensive prowess these past few seasons.

I'm actually hoping, and expecting, a rather high scoring game.
    Perhaps 4-2 the Blues.

23. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Heh, one of these weeks, we'll coordinate our moods, and either both be wildly optimistic or depressingly pessimistic, hopefully the former! :D

24. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, as Nice stated earlier, they just don't have the defensive capability to keep us out for long.They've had fantastic attacking play for about 4 or 5 seasons now.But, then again, during that time, they've had a defense like a sieve ;)

Funny ol game though, could very well be a bore fest and a one niller.

25. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    On another note, i would certainly not like to see Gallas playing left full for this game.I think bellamy would skin him alive as he tried getting his body adjusted to tackle right being a naturally right footed player.

Start Bridge, imho.