PBP: 12/28, Dempsey: Fulham v Chelsea {R}

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by babytiger2001, Dec 28, 2008.

1. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Not a great comaprision really, but Heskey is a forward-cum-winger (or at least he was in his younger days), whereas Demspey is a winger-cum-forward (despite saying he prefers a central psotion).

2. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    To be fair, his consistency has greatly improved this year. He's been far more dangerous and has put good attempts on goal in nearly every game since he's started this streak. He's also far more effective tracking back.

and since he's regained his permanent starting place, Fulham have lost ZERO games. He's their leading scorer, AGAIN. Zamora and AJ have 5, combined.

3. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Group Stage Champion's League

DMB's performance away to Lyon for Rangers is probably the best YA performance on a big stage.... ever. Assist on goal one (beautiful corner), secondary assist goal two, long gorgeous run to get under a Daniel Cousin rainbow pass, and then a finish. 0-3 to Rangers in France. This result and the point against Barca allowed Rangers to parachute into the UEFA cup and begin their run to the final.

I'm still on cloud nine after Dempsey's performance yesterday, what a cracking atmosphere to be had at the cottage. Train on the way back was simply fantastic-

4. Sounds about right. Thx Y@O.

Just curious, what are the fans' feelings about CDs form right now versus earlier?

5. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

I think Friedel has probably five or more performances that would top those. Most recently against Manchester United last year at home.

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The original poster did specify 'outfield players'.. DMB v Lyon was great last year but I think one would argue that Chelsea > Lyon.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rossi and Subotic.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a huge Dempsey fan, and I'm especially a fan of the way he's added, ahem, grit to his game this year. But if Dempsey was surrounded by Chelsea's cast, he'd never score, cuz he'd never play.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    fyp. :)

10. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes but the point many are making is that Dempsey is surrounded by mostly punters at Fulham. would Dempsey's game change if he were surrounded by 10 players, say, the level of Chelsea's? I can't imagine it would hurt.

11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    The argument that better players make you a better player is pretty compelling across all walks of life. It is almost guaranteed that Dempsey would be a more successful player if he were surrounded by better talent.

As to whether he could break a top 4 squad.

I have been saying for 2 years that Liverpool needed two types of players to get much better: A speedster on the wings who can cross to their absolutely lethal finishers, and a Benitez guy in the middle. Benitez likes very hard working, sturdy guys who play the entire pitch, dont make mistakes, and are very accurate passers. To think their new Lucas kid is better than Dempsey is silly.

I also thought that Beez would be a perfect winger for them. He would certainly be better than Babbbbel. He would likely only play 35 to 45 minutes per match and he is a pretty aggressive two way player. He had 4 goals for ManCity in what, 10 matches? I still dont understand why no one picked him up from the EPL. He scored on West Ham and Arsenal among others. If an English or Spanish or Brazilian player had drubbed Lyon the way he did, he would be lavished, but the American player? nothing.

Clint is probably doing more for Americans in the EPL than any other player because he is 100% American. McBride sounds Irish, Harkes developed some kind of faux accent, Reyna was very good, but not a showman.

12. Dirty_South_Futbol

Dirty_South_Futbol New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    On the road
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, but that last statement is so stupid on so many levels, I'm not sure where to begin....

Dempsey is doing more for America in the EPL thatn anyone else before because past yanks developed European accents, or had European-sounding names?
    :confused:
    Shockingly ridiculous

13. Carcacha

Carcacha Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ive always thought Dempsey was one of the most dangerous American players around. He seems to be having a good season and finally finding his groove, definitely gonna be an issue for opposing teams at NT level

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Other americans were willing to assimilate. I dont feel that Dempsey gives a damn about the rest of England.

Harkes, McBride look English. Maybe I have just been living in Europe too long to see how looking, sounding and having many things in common with the people around you endears you to them.

15. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And why does that matter??

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    it was a throw-away comment. never meant for it to be taken up for argument. I selfishly want US players to get a better reputation in the EPL so I can watch more of them. If Clint an Beez kind of wave the flag around, do well, but do so with some kind of flair that changes people's minds about the US player, then great.

17. SIR-T

SIR-T New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Ha...yeah the Heskey comparison was a little off. What I meant was, he seems to have the ability to change the outcome of a game because of his workrate on the pitch. Like Heskey, his contribution to the game is not always apparent and does not score lots of goals, but his sheer effort is the difference between going home with a point and going home with nothing. In a team like Fulham, the difference between staying up, and going down, is whether you have the Bullards, or the Dempseys to pull you through difficult games. People can say what they like about Heskey, but without him, Wigan would fare a lot worse. That is what I meant by comparing the two. Both are underrated, but vastly important to each teams ambitions.

18. ragin bear

ragin bear New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Fulham wanting a winger would be willing to take a shot at Beasely if he is out there for free?

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well put and I'd agree that Dempsey would look great in a Liverpool uniform. Having seen his game with the Revs, I see him being a Yossi Benayoun type player, with his ability to attack the defender and a nose for the goal. However, I think Dempsey has even more of a creative flair. Would be thrilled if Rafa signed him - definitely agree with the argument that he'd be even better when surrounded by better players.

20. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    I wonder how much Boa Morte goes for these days (although I don't know if he has the work rate Hodgson's system demands- he might be a strong player late in games off the bench)

If fully fit, Bullard/Murphy/Dempsey/Davies are good enough to keep Fulham mid-table for this season...or at least still up in Prem....IF they can get some decent production from front line.

The problem is if Bullard or Murphy get hurt (or both)- there is a decent drop off in talent after that. The system will only get them so far.

Longer-term, Fulham is a ticking clock. Bullard and Murphy are not going to get better, and will get worse- even perhaps quickly after this year. They are players that rely a lot on heart and running- and that gets harder with age. Davies is no spring chicken either, but remains pretty quick.

By this summer or latest next winter, Fulham will need to start rebuilding the midfield with some significant pieces, ready to take over soon. Dempsey- being one of the youngest starters and the youngest by far in the midfield- is in prime position to be a cornerstone going forward..perhaps for many years.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't remain in the Prem for years- if that's his wish. He's proven he's good enough, and may even have another leap in quality/bigger club still left in his career. Fulham will likely be making him a very nice contract extention offer in the spring/summer.

Selfishly, I'd like to see him at a more ambitious club (like an Everton or Aston Villa) and for some reason- I picture him in Liverpool red one day too
    (agree totally with comments in previous post)

Its good to be Deuce (in more ways than one)...

21. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    It was freezing that day! Deuce must have been really pumped (and later cold)

22. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    But its not just about Sunday's game. Dempsey has scored 11 goals in approx. 43 starts and 18 sub appearances. That is good performance for an attacking mid/winger, but especially for a player not even 26

Also, the variety of his game makes him interesting as a player. He is strong in the air, physical on the ground, tricky enough on the dribble, demonstrated enough cutting edge and creativity with his passing. (Definitely not a one-trick pony) Dempsey can shoot fairly well with both feet. Now that he has added strong defensive ethic, and improved positioning- its hard to see what currently separates Dempsey from less-than-world class players that have latched onto big/bigger clubs like Sidwell, Joe Cole (!), Cahill, Arteta, Petrov, Benayoon, etc.

Another 3-6 months of performance like the last 10 games, and I think you will see some of these clubs make inquiries...

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fine, but Clint played alot of minutes as a striker. And scored many of his goals then, too.

24. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, but playing striker hasn't helped Zamora's goal tally much.

25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    AJ is not a very good player anymore. He doesnt have the speed to shake anyone lose and his creativity is non-existent. Zamora has two stone feet, but he can hold the ball up nicely at least and make long productive outlet runs. I understand why Fulham picked up AJ, they thought they needed a poacher to drop in 10 to 12 garbage goals over the season, but I think now they realize they need some creativity out of that position as well.

Fulham needs to get Nevland in there for him. Maybe they can unload AJ in January.

Davies started on the left, then after the goal moved right. Chelsea then proceeded to get their best chances on the left side, so moved Dempsey back to the right and things settled down. Lampard in particular did well on Clint's side. I dont know that you can plug Clint into the left side and have good results. **actually, now that I watch, Scolari was placing Lampard on Clint's side whenever he could an Hodgs would counter by putting Davies on Lampard's side.

Lastly, I felt Fulham did a very good job of icing the game in the first half with the lead. If not for that mess up with Hughes, I think they might have pulled out the 1-0 win.