12/23/02: Top Newsmakers of 2003

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Dec 23, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Toluca Title courtesy of Cordoza - L.A. Times

Freddy Adu: A Strong Kick for American Soccer - Newsweek

Teacher Union Chief Heralded - Chicago Sun-Times (staff-wire story... mentions what the adu article is about)

Brown Square Group backs Rhinos - Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

There are some upcoming USMNT matches. One in Ft. Lauderdale on Jan. 18th, vs Canada; another Feb. 8th in Miami, vs Argentina; in Jamaica on Feb. 12th; and also March 29th in Seattle, vs Japan.

We are asking for anyone and everyone interested in providing loud, unified vocal support for 90 minutes for the national team during these matches to check out:

groups.yahoo.com/groups/usasupporters

Currently we are selling tickets for the Argentina and Seattle matches. You can purchase these tickets here.

Some notes:

1. For the Canada match, Sachin has asked people to E-mail him because he wants to see if we get 20 tickets before he goes ahead and charges the group rate.

2. For the Argentina match, all tickets behind the goal are general admission. We need to get in the stadium early to claim turf.

3. For the Japan match, we are behind the goal, next to Sam's Army.

4. DC AREA FANS: We're still working on the whole air/ground transport/hotel/ticket package. If you want to be a part of that (including discounted airfare), then don't buy a ticket yet.

We need everyone to come together. Support is nothing without unity.

thanks
    -jim

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    For anyone that missed it or otherwise, the Newsweek article is part of a set for the "top newsmakers of 2003"... newsweek also picked avril lavigne, so go figure the actual value of this "honor"

;)

3. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I joined that group cuz i live close to seattle and i'm going to the game, and i would rather sit with everyone that by myself somewhere...but that group seems to just be complaining and argueing about what people will wear, I'm wearing my earthquakes landon donovan white jersey...if that isn't allowed in your section let me know...if its fine i'll buy tickets now from that other link....

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    We have nothing else do to at the moment. Join in the arguement. It's fun.

Wear what you want. Just, wear something, for the love of God ;)

Hope you buy tickets.

Sachin

5. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alright, i get my paycheck tomorrow (i work for my dad, hah) but i have money, if i get around to it they will be purchased tonight...

and i'll be wearing my landon donovan quakes jersey, unless...by that time i have a new MLS jersey, since the game is in march, most jerseys will be for sale then...

6. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nevermind, i'll get tickets but not for that section, i got a PM saying i can't wear my donovan jersey, or any other jersey i have...but i can wear a red t-shirt, eh, no thanks...

I'll get tickets for a different part of the stadium...oh well...

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    nice to see you are willing to change what i said...

i said you are more than welcome to wear anything you want, but that if you wear club gear, you will more than likely be asked why... as it is a national game and not a club game

i then went on to mention that wearing red, white or blue would be best... and that most of the people would be wearing red

as an example, i stated that if you don't have a national team jersey, you could wear a red t-shirt

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Here's the deal.. we want to encourage fans to wear red because it's been hammered out over the years as "the fans color". But it really doesn't matter. What matters the most is that you are in the stadium and provding support for the boys. Everything else is window dressing. Sure I'd like it if you wore red, but I'd like it more if you were standing and singing in my section.

Sachin

9. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks sachin, and nothing personal against you jmeissen, we've been sending PM's back and forth...

but ya, i'de rather not be arsed...just wear what i want, even though it will be a landon jersey, or petke DC jersey if i can get it by then....

already decided, i'll buy tickets to the game, and i'll just get them wherever, hopefully close to the action...

what matters is a good showing in seattle, not only for the team, but the fans, cuz "I" need an MLS team in seattle, i'm spending too much money per year for my annual trip to LA for a galaxy game and this season i'm adding a earthquake game, hard to pull off on a 19 year olds budget, well at least a lazy one like me who goes to school and doesn't have much time to work...plus football practice all the time...

10. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    that's more than understandable...

i do hope you will change your mind though, and i hope the pm i just sent you might help with that

-jim

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Well.. you're getting a discount by buying through us. You don't have to pay the Ticketbastard "convenience" fee.

Sachin

12. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, well since its close to x-mas i convinced my mom to get em for me...

Thanks anyways...

13. pugetsoundmls

pugetsoundmls New Member

Oct 6, 2000
    Seattle
    That's great you're making the effort to travel to catch MLS games, but may I also suggest you try and make a Sounders game or two this coming season. After all, you're less than an hours drive from Seahawks Stadium. It may not be the caliber of soccer you're looking for, but it's still pretty good. And you never know, more seats filled at Sounders games might improve our MLS chances...

14. Quiet Beast

Quiet Beast New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    JMU via Md.
    Another Freddie Adu article...
    never fails to get me excited, despite knowing I have to be patient for something which may never come at all...
    still, the thought of him in MLS at 15 playing for DC United gives me chills

15. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pugetsoundmls -

I (and also my friend) actually bought season tickets for the sounders two seasons ago, well my parents got em for us, i only went to 4 games though, i was only 17 and didn't have the patience to drive for an hour straight, hah...I also went to a game this past season...

I don't like to talk down about anything, but I thought it was kinda "bush" league if you will...I did like watching the game, but at Seattle Memorial? Come on, maybe the real problem is i played in state playoff football games there (I played for Tumwater High School, if you pay attention to high school football you will notice they make state every year) but ya, going to a field that I've played HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL on, plus the turf, it was kinda ugly, i did like watching the rhinos play though, and also liked when the Pro-40 team came...but ya, this season they are at seahawks stadium and I actually plan on getting season tickets (again) for the sounders this season, mainly to help MLS come, and to see US Open Cup matches, plus priority for MLS if it comes...but ya, if you could PM me it would be great, help me get set up, if you are in the supporters section, I would like to get in there...

And just so you know, its not the level i'm looking for, hah, i want MLS...but A-League soccer and its players aren't that bad at all, the field was the real problem, but that won't be a problem this season, I look forward to getting a message from you, with any info you got...i've been the website and was just gonna order tickets from there, but i want to get involved with the REAL fans...