12/19/02: Gotten Uncie Phil a Christmas Card Yet?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Dec 19, 2002.

1. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    The way I read it, Emil Martinez (20 yr old winger) is a DC target, while Mago Capria (32 yr old playmaker) is in negotiation with the Metrostars.

Regardless of what else happens, it sounds certain that Stoitchkov will not be back in Chicago.

2. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Oh need to worry about that. It's clearly in soccer fans' blood to bitch at every possible opportunity.

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to the LATimes article about LA Kings hockey.

I don't know if I would classify my comment as bitching - it just seems odd that even with 3 times as many teams, the NHL gets big-time TV $ for roughly the same amount of viewers MLS gets - plus free media exposure and respect.

While I agree MLS absoutely needs to get up 16-20 teams before the footing becomes more equal, I supsect that even when and if that happens, MLS will not get the relative TV $ and exposure that the NHL gets. That's just my prediction.

4. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    A two hour hockey broadcast has an hour of commercial time. Plus local ratings in each individual market for the NHL blow away anything MLS ever gets.

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

yes. but the times article didn't have much to do with the tv contracts, just the operations of a franchise