12/17/02: Deals

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Here's your present Metro roster, with educated salary guesses that you can try to pick apart:

Davis ($24k but P40 exempt)
    Jolley $120k
    Moore (<$10k, developmental contract)
    Williams $100k
    Lisi $40k
    Paule $60k
    Petke $120k
    Mathis $200k
    Addo $75k
    Ziadie $40k
    Balboa $85k (rumored figure of restructured contract)
    Howard $250k
    Akwari ($24k but P40 exempt)
    Grafer $35k

$1.13 million is what I come up with, leaving the Metros just under $600k short of the cap. Adding two maximum salary players puts them around $60k shy of the cap. But I may have overestimated Addo and Williams, who were up for renegotiation in the past year or so, and furthermore, there's a reasonable chance neither will return. That would leave the Metros with around $350k to fill out the roster-- not a lot of money, but not nothing either.

2. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Didn't you know, NY and LA are exempt from the salary cap rule. MLS makes and breaks their own rules when dealing with these two teams.

3. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Re: Re: 12/17/02: Deals

Looks good Haig...

Also include that Petke or Jolley will go during the trade, taking another $120k off the cap.
    So if the trade goes through...
    To Metros:
    Pope $270k
    Moreno $270k
    ABMOD $100k (supposed to be taking a pay cut thought)

From Metros:
    Petke/Jolley $120k

For a net addition to the cap of at most: $520k

4. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: Re: 12/17/02: Deals

Really, why don't you actually read and respond to what knowledgeable people have to say.

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    great stuff haig

6. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    Is Rodrigo Faria still on the team? What does he make if so?

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to the Fire as part of Bradley coming over.

8. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    Ok. Thanks. So it looks like the deal will put them about 350k short of the cap? Enough for another marquee player, if true.

9. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    "The 20-year-old striker has been compared to Julius Erving, Wayne Gretzky and Tiger Woods in the ability to bring their sport into the popular conscious."

Sheesh, where to begin with a comment such as this? People are setting themselves up for quite a let down if they see any realism in a Woods, Gretzky, Erving comparisson. I can hear it now, "the 'Wayne Gretzky of soccer' has now gone 4 games without even scoring one goal! Can you believe the nonsense those soccer people were trying to sell us!?"

10. Furious George

Furious George New Member

Feb 19, 2001
    to the right
    I couldn't quite get through the first sentence. Picturing the commish on a bottle of baby food almost made me slap my mother.

11. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm fvcking sick of this "fat tony" crap. The guy was an MVP, MLS champ, and three times in a WC. He is a living legend.

12. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Re: Re: Re: 12/17/02: Deals

And what have you added to the great order of things....oh yeah a bunch of BS numbers that can't be confirmed and that are probably way off. I brought fact into the discussion. The league favors LA and NY. NY just can't get their act together to take advantage of it the way LA has. Just because I choose to ignore the BS numbers doesn't mean I didn't read them, just that I took it for the crap it is. Be happy NY is favored by the the league. If not you could be like the 8 other teams, you could have the famous Crew teeshirt that says "Stern John was sold for 4M dollars and all I got was this crappy allocation, while LA got Luis Hernandez and NY got Clint Mathis."

13. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: 12/17/02: Deals

Do you realize how much you're making us all laugh here?