12/03/05: Great View

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Fleetwood Mac #1, Dec 3, 2005.

1. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. The Grant Wahl article covered a lot of ground. Seems to me that if Rossi tells Bruce Arena he wants to play for Italy, and if Arena says he won't chase kids who don't want to play for the US it's pretty much a done deal.

2. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    A good quote to note from the AP article,

"If a CONCACAF team has the possibility of being a seeded team at the 2006 FIFA World Cup final draw, the United States has done what is necessary in the region to deserve it" - Bruce Arena

3. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Arena has got that right. We OWN Mexico. We beat them 2-0 in the last World Cup, we beat them 2-0 in Columbus to clinch a Cup berth and we won the CONCACAF Gold Cup. If Mexico gets a seed and we don't, FIFA will reveal itself to be deeply prejudiced against the USA.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm sorry, but no. They'd only be using the exact same formula they ised last time. By that formula, Mexico gets a seed, we don't. Mexico never came in last in a WC, that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

5. Darthspud

Darthspud New Member

Aug 6, 2005
    El Paso, TX
    You can't OWN anyone if you can't beat them at their place.

6. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    The US, like most other countries, is accustomed to playing soccer in cities with breathable air. It's not our fault that Mexico is such a dirty country that the only thing they are good for is providing a steady supply of prostitutes.

7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude very low, I don't condone that. As much as I dislike the Mexican national team I've met plenty of cool Mexicans that don't deserve to be shat upon.

8. VON9905

VON9905 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Re: 12/03/05: Great View!!!

I thought it was pretty funny. But I would also have mentioned all the illegal drugs they bring into the country that are as illegal as they are themselves. But like all races, there are some very decent Mexicans - mainly the ones that are here doing it the right way. If they are illegal, send them back with no food or water. Or maybe we could mandate that they have to tryout for the U.S. National team first, then, if they are good, they can stay. : ) I hate people that try to act like they are not breaking the law by being illegal and try to protect them and their "rights". Alright, back to soccer. The U.S. deserves a #1 seed over Mexico if either has the chance. The U.S. can beat Mexico anywhere in the world but Mexico. They are the better team.

-Von

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 12/03/05: Great View!!!

Agreed on Mexico not being superior at the national level to the US. I also agree that many Mexican immigrants don't deserve to be treated like US citizens the second the cross the border. What I disagree with is pointing out all the ugly Mexico has and just jabbing at it like the US hasn't any hookers, drugs, and other illegal aliens worth mentioning. I guess many bad Mexicans deserve getting pointed out, but there are many decent Mexicans having a really hard time dealing with the environment they currently live in. Kidnappings are completely out of control. Corrupt police also out of control. That is just a sad state of affairs my friend and it is rather wide spread. It is not very honorable to make fun of these things I don't believe.

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice article on the Fire's new stadium (The Fire Pit?), but the guy has it wrong, there will be 5 teams with soccer specific stadiums out of twelve.
    1. Columbus
    2. Galaxy
    3. Chivas
    4. Dallas
    5. Chicago

Typical AP journalist, doesn't know soccer or MLS very well, or perhaps he just forgot Chivas or Dallas.

2nd point: the US does NOT deserve a seed, and Arena is WAY off base.
    Mexcio plays more games against high level international competition than we do, playing Confederations Cup, and in the South American national team competition. We Arena and US soccer were invited to play in but declined.

Their performance at WC's as been as good, if not better than ours. Though we did beat them, they have advanced to the 16 of the last 3, while WE finished dead last at France 98. Besides Brazil, is there another team that has made the last 16 at 3 straight? I think Italy and Germany, but that is it. France and Argentina BOTH went down last time, and Spain still has a recent choke job somewhere. As for England, they haven't even been in the last 3, ditto for the Dutch and Czech's (though they obviously have a tougher road).

We hardly OWN them. We split in qualifying and needed help from T&T on the last matchday to pull into a tie.

To sum up, ONE good WC and getting to the second round in a WC you hosted does not make you one of the best 8 national teams in the world. We have to do it again to get a seed, and teams like Czech's, Dutch, and Portugal will also have a chance to stake their claim to a seed.