12/01/04: The Fire House

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by jmeissen0, Dec 1, 2004.

1. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Are there any official stadium blueprints on the web now?

All these articles talk about the look of the stadium, but none of them provides a photo.

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
  3. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  4. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
  5. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Gotta love this...
    In France top club Paris St.-Germain has hard-core neo-Nazi fans who chant racist and homophobic slurs and bombard visiting players with objects of all kinds.

6. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Sounds like Mets fans...only nicer :)

(I'm talking about the baseball Mets, not the Metrostars)

7. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain
    Oh right, because we Mets fans are the homophobic neonazis when we go after upstanding Americans like John Rocker. If anyone ever deserved to get batteries thrown at him...

Man, I hate the Braves so much.

8. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town
    Deutsche Deustsche Liberale......

9. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town
    Ahhhhhh atleast somewhere in the world a man can still express his true feelings..... :rolleyes:

10. BradPaton

BradPaton New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    File in the 2 cents category:

I was at the PSG-Rangers UEFA Cup match featuring Reyna and Ronaldinho in Paris in 2001 (Anelka was benched), accidentally seated in the hard-core end zone section for fanatics (no idea how our tickets wound up there, but whatever). My wife and I were attending with some friends of ours, a French couple, which helped me actually get to my seats since the French police kept trying to pull me out of the line as looking too Anglo apparently.

Once we got to our section there was no pretense of being able to sit, just chants, drums, and testosterone. However, there was nothing thrown, no skin-heads, or what would even begin to pass for neo-Nazis that I could see. They made a few bum-rushes at the Rangers supporters at half-time out in the hallways, but the stadium was locked down pretty tight so no one could get near each other.

The Rangers fans had to wait in the stadium about an hour after the match while the police tried to clear their path of locals, but despite the penalty kick loss that saw PSG eliminated, no major problems occurred other than a lot of trash and drunks all over the neighborhood.

I don't doubt that there may be a portion of PSG supporters who could qualify as neo-Nazis and what-not, but the implication from the story of commonplace mis-behavior by them is pretty inaccurate from my personal experience (we lived a few blocks from the stadium), and the only time I saw as heavy of a police presence at a match there other than European matches was against Marseilles, and then there were basically "no holds barred," either home or away, on the field or in the stands.

Contrast that with my experience at a meaningless Italian league match in 98 between Fiorentina and Salernitana, with flares and fireworks constantly going back and forth over the plexiglass barrier between the rival groups of fans.

11. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    Overblown and inaccurate. Regurgitating the same old crap from three decades of football in order to feel better about a bit of fan trouble in the NBA.

I thought TIME was supposed to be a prestigious, reliable magazine?