11/8 The Foods Tastes Better

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Nov 8, 2003.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Re: Re: 11/8 The Foods Tastes Better

Wow, that came out of nowhere, didn't it.

3. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Re: Re: Re: 11/8 The Foods Tastes Better

You can say that again--looking into things on my end.

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas can't find a place to play.

Every other expansion candidate is on the drawing board.

In Rochester you have a team that packs its stadium, has ownership and will have its own SSS in 2004 sometime.

Rochester is the bird in the hand and I think MLS should grab it. It may not mean an infusion of cash into MLS thru means of an expansion fee, but Rochester is a profitable franchise that will diliute the incestuous pool of 10 MLS teams playing each other over and over. And after seeing Dragon Stadium, no way Frontier field can be said not to be up to MLS standards.

They market themselves better than all MLS teams except maybe Chicago so while this may not immediately add cash to the league it will add something MLS needs desparately: A new team and maybe a few new ideas.

Bring em on.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I forget off the top of my head, how many will Rochester's stadium hold? It was only 15k or something like that, right?

6. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    17,500 to start. 13k fixed seating with 4.5k bleachers.

http://www.rhinossoccer.com/newstadium.asp

Construction was delayed due to some artifacts being found at the dig site.

7. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    I don't think the problem is the expansion fee... it wouldn't surprise me if the league was willing to waive that for a team that would almost certainly be profitable from the beginning (or at least break even) in their own crib... the problem (and the problem with Horowitz in FL) is the willingness/ability to cover cash calls since all of the I/Os are on the hook for league losses (read, "the Meadowlands")... while losses are certainly much less than initially, allowing a weak sister I/O in the league only generates whining (and hand wringing) when it comes to covering current losses of at least several million per year... that is why the I/O group has mostly consisted of billionaires up to now... people who can afford to take a longer look at the situation...

rand

8. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Specific to Mathis' case, we can not forget the vicious, unnecessary foul on Jay Heap that got Mathis the yellow. It may or may not have deserved a direct Red, but why do something like that in the playoffs. The man is troubled. I hope he can resolve them.

9. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I'm not sure. It's been mentioned as a roadblock in the past by Rhinos management.

As have the cash calls, as you point out. But there've been some mutterings from MLS in the past couple of years that single entity was modified somewhat so that teams had greater control of their revenue and costs.

10. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I wonder if the Rhino's situation means that Chivas is a lot closer to finding a place to play than is commonly supposed.

It would seem to me that MLS won't expand "unevenly" for the Rhinos, so there would be another team coming in. And somehow, I don't think it would be Cleveland.

So imagine a secnario like this:

2004: Rochester, Chivas de San Diego
    2005: Cleveland, Seattle/Houston/OKC/San Antonio/some other city we're not thinking about
    2006: Harrison, Rapids Stadium, Fire House all come on line

This MLS Cup may have more action off the field than on it, for once.

Sachin

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have only one reservation about Rochester (and it's unfair to those from Rochester, but that's how I feel):

I feel the A-League is an important part of the soccer landscape in this country, and I have some concerns for its future without Rochester.

One other thing to consider: The Raging Rhinos are a profitable independently run business. Their absorption into the SEM monolith means...

...I don't know what it means.

12. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Rochester is back-up in case MLS gets sick of Vergara and Chivas falls through.

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe it's a backup because Chivas is ready to go next year, Cleveland isn't, but MLS doesn't want to make it a go with 11.

14. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    hopefully the additional presence of MLS will help the Rhinos get through all this BS they've been trying to fight recently and break ground on PaeTec Park.

15. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

Minor league journalistic hacking is what I call that article.. :p

Good job Aris and it's about time that MLS start thinking about Rochester as a viable option.. They have shown without a shadow of a doubt that they will sell out each and every week..

16. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  17. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Rochester stuff didn't come out of nowhere, a month ago it was reported on a News Channel in Rochester, saying that they could have a team in MLS as soon as 2004, news people didn't know if that meant relocation or expansion...I posted here and the other board and got flamed for the most part...

18. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. That does make a lot more sense.

19. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Jesus Christ. It was a foul, a little hard? Yea, but Heaps never shuts his trap with anyone.

20. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
  21. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
  22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte