11/6 Titanic

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Nov 6, 2003.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you guys get the idea that Vergara still thinks that he's calling the shots for MLS, re Chivas USA, instead of vice-versa?

From the article:

MLS Commissioner Don Garber said last month that San Diego and Houston were the leading candidates, but Vergara said Los Angeles and Chicago remain possibilities.

And factor in the fact that he wants the team to start play next year, and not in '05.

More power to him if he can get it up and running and competitive by then, but this story and the latest in the soap opera suggests that the tail is trying to wag the dog.

2. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Agreed, but I'm not sure it should bother anyone. Vergara's tactics suggest to me that he's not usually getting his way, so he's trying to drum up outside support. Looks to me like the natural ebb and flow of a negotiation, albeit more public than I'd like to see.

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true-- and at the very least, he's getting publicity for his cause, and lots of it.

Which isn't a bad thing, either.

However, I do think that if Vergara is successful at getting Chivas USA operational in time for next season, will the other expansion team in the mix be ready as well?

That's the one logistical step in the equation that is truly beyond Vergara's control or influence.

All things considered, I'm sure that in the next round of expansion, the league would rather have an even number of teams competing, rather than Chivas USA coming in alone.

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Am I the only person...

Am I the only person who has some trouble accepting Vergara? The guy seems to always announce deals before he does them, then they don't pan out. (Ominilife was going to buy Body Shop. The deal to buy a team in Spain.) The thing that makes me the most uneasy is that his empire is based on "multilevel marketing". (You know, like Amway. "Do you think you're making enough money in your present job?") If I was the current MLS owners, I sure wouldn't let this guy stampede me into anything.

6. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: Am I the only person...

No, you're not the only one. I don't follow the expansion stuff all that closely (the Wizards and Chiefs are all I have time for) but from what I've read I smell trouble. Yes more, and new, money is good for MLS. Expansion is great and needed. But when you're expanding into a league I think the league calls the shots, not the owner. For example, when Cleveland, Jacksonville, Carolina and Houston came into the NFL in recent years do you think the potential owners told or even tried to force the hand of the NFL as to when they would join? No, the league calls the shots, and I sure hope MLS is making that clear no matter what this guy is saying in the papers.

7. mjtate

mjtate Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Westerville, OH
    NFL expansion and MLS expansion aren't really the same thing. NFL can dictate terms because many cities and owners would love to have a franchise. MLS doesn't have too many owners beating down the door, so Vergara is attempting to get some concessions. I'm OK with his attempts, just hope MLS doesn't allow them to play with completely different rules (a few small differences I'm OK with)

8. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sour Grapes Quakes

How much can these guys whine in the press?

"ludicrous playoff system"???

The Revs, Fire and K.C. did what they needed to do on the road, sorry if you guys didn't have it! I don't hear them complaining about not being awarded a west coast supporters sheild! Or is that next.....Donovan - "To be top in the west and walk away with nothing is just wrong. The playoffs and award systems need to be restructured or I might join the 49ers."

10. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    The LA Times article almost makes it sound as if the Chivas/America rivalry could be driving the push for 2004 start-up.

After all, nothing would get Vergara's "goat" more than watching America swoop in as I/O of the Quakes, change the name to Club America USA, and play in next year's MLS while Chivas sat on the sidelines till 2005.

By the way, do you think Mulrooney was aware that he was going to be forced to move out of San Jose when he signed his long-term contract? What do you think his chances are for being the long-term d-mid for Club America USA? About nil, I'd say.

Landon's likely out the door to Europe come January anyway, Yallop is off to Canada, Corrales and Alvarez might be OK if their playing "style" is accepted, but what will the rest of the Gringo-Quakes do? I can't honestly believe there won't be major, ethnically-based roster changes if Club America does take over, even though they haven't been as doctrinaire as Chivas about Sangre Mexicana.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Re: Re: 11/6 Titanic

never.

12. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Take careful note that the LA times is just repeating La Opinion's sources and not doing their own research.

And reread some of the levelheaded comments on the situation over and over again.

13. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    "For me (Cannon's) sharp right now and that's really all that needs to be said," Hankinson said.

And with every American casualty in Iraq, the enemy is becoming more desperate because we are winning.

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    America doesn't have a Mexicans-only policy. That's Chivas. America is, if anything, known for signing lots of foreigners. It's not even a question of them not being as doctrinaire as Chivas. The other teams owned by Grupo Televisa don't follow a nationality policy either.

15. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    No official policy other than to attract a specific audience which wants to see a style more reminiscent of the LMF.

But fair enough, then--if Club America takes over the Quakes and Mulrooney and Ching and Dunivant et. al. are retained and play for Club America USA, then I apologize in advance.

But if they are purged...? I just don't understand why you think that's out of the realm of possibility.

16. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    A couple of Spanish language Chivas bits:
    Chivas USA busca jugadores en EU - Univision

Vergara held a press conference (which apparently La Opinion covered) but there are a few additional tidbits to muddy the waters:

"Estamos invitando a todos los mexicanos nacidos en Estados Unidos o a los hijos de mexicanos nacidos en Estados Unidos y todos los que hablen español para que se integren, porque el equipo va a ser conformado en su mayoría por hispanoparlantes", aclaró Jorge Vergara, presidente de la Chivas en Los Angeles.

More or less: we're inviting all Mexican-Americans and everyone that speaks Spanish to come (to the tryouts), because the majority of the team will be made up by Spanish speakers.

"Reiteró que en su proyecto contempla invertir entre 12 a 20 millones de dólares "porque tenemos que pagar la entrada de sociedad, la comercializadora de MLS, gastos inherentes, por el técnico y otros gastos"."

His investment would be between 12 and 20 million (more realistic than the 12-14m he mentioned before)

"Adelantó que para conformar una columna vertebral del Chivas USA se traerá a dos o tres jugadores experimentados de Chivas."

To create a backbone for Chivas USA, they'll bring 2 or 3 experience players from Chivas de Guad.

Also take a look at this forum:
    Quieres jugar en las Chivas - Univision

At least some Spanish-speakers (and it's obvious it's not a first language for some of them) have greeted the idea of Chivas USA with enthusiasm.

They must not hang out in Waldo's donut shop?

17. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    Re: Re: 11/6 Titanic

Especially since the Morehouse- my alma mater, is all male.

18. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of things could be in the realm of the possible. I suggest not jumping to conclusions. But if you really must do so, then it's advisable to at least learn a few things about Club America.

19. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing new there.

20. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    K: According to my Guadalajara friend, this is Vergara's way of dealing with the media.

He's vocal, argumentative, with a special sense of humor and a top negotiator.

Remember he's made his fortune on the "supplemental vitamines" field by encouraging distributors to hire distributors, to hire distributors, etc., etc..

He's in constant communication with MLS and they already know how the CHIVAS Chupacabras USA is going to play.

It's going to be San Diego and they'll start playing in 2005.

21. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Re: Re: Re: 11/6 Titanic

WHAT! THAT IS SO WRONG! Next you know, there are going to be colleges that are composed 99.44% of one race, too.

(just kidding) I have nothing wrong with Wabash, Morehouse (did you know Kevin Smart? I played soccer with him in high school. Should have been class of '96 I think), Bennington or any other historically-whatever schools.

22. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
  23. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Did anyone read Dure's column about creating a League Cup?

???

Has he never heard of the US Open Cup - an eminently more marketable concept with nearly a century of tradition?

I kept reading for a punchline that was never supplied.

24. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Sour Grapes Quakes

To be hyped as a star in the league and then walk away and do nothing on the field - THAT'S what's just wrong. I assume SJ fans (both of them) are delighted that their poster boy is once again leading them to greatness.