11/23 Rev News: Dempsey

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Nov 23, 2004.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    FIRST KUIP TRAINING FOR DEMPSEY
    http://www.feyenoord.com/domains/fe...2.asp?content=12820000003055_2_12770000000008

"American trialist Clint Dempsey trained with Feyenoord for the first time Monday afternoon. The youngster is at De Kuip after making a good impression in his debut MLS season in the uniform of New England Revolution after graduating from college side Furman..."

[​IMG]

Anyone find it odd that someone there simply to train would be front page news on the club's official web site?

The Magpie

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  3. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I was going to point out how the training item was below the fold if you were reading the Dutch site, but then they go and post that, complete with highlight graphic. Uh...

Also, I don't care how obvious a cognate it is, "middenvelder" is my new favorite word.

4. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's also very balvaardig. I think that's a good thing.

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    [​IMG]

"Oh, yes, Dempsey, you're very tought, yes.. very tought, tought like a tiger!"

6. fillmorejive

fillmorejive New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    LA
    I tried to bablefish "balvaardig", it came out in English as "balvaardig." I guess I missed school that day....

7. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone who speaks actual Dutch and not its cousin could probably clear this up better, but I'm told the article uses a verb construction that, in German, means he's "just training for now," with an implied "but we might could keep him."

8. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did the same. But from now on, whenever someone asks about Dempsey, we should just point out how balvaardig he is.

9. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    A translation from the YA pileofdogmes..er...thread on the topic

"Dempsey made a somewhat unaccustomed but further in every respect reasonable impression in the trained duel. The middenvelder is long, physique very strong but nevertheless also awful balvaardig. The coming days will try he on the training with the first yet more impression to make."

also another post

10. Aquarius21

Aquarius21 New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROTFL!! :D

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at least I'm trying to keep the thread on topic ;)

12. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    You are indeed...shoveling sh!t against the tide. Thanks though.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "balvaardig" means good ball skills. Vaardig= skilled, bal=ball. The "awful" part I asume is the same way it does in English: "He is an awfully good player" means very good, not awful in the literal sense.

I wonder how many Dutch swear words he's learned by now...

Tom

14. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    If anyone's interested in the current list of whose training abroad:
    "AMERICANS ABROAD: Several M.L.S. players will spend part of their off-season training with clubs in Europe. The list includes: Eddie Johnson (FC Dallas/Manchester United), Clint Dempsey (New England/Feyenoord), Ramon Nunez (FC Dallas/Glasgow Celtic), Pat Noonan (New England/Chelsea), Damani Ralph (Chicago/Feyenoord), Steve Cronin (San Jose/Chelsea), Nelson Akwari (Real Salt Lake/Bochum) and Ricardo Clark (MetroStars/Wigan Athletic). Three other MetroStars, Kenny Arena, Michael Bradley and Jeff Parke, will train with Sunderland. Also, 8 of the 10 players selected by CD Chivas USA in the expansion draft will be in Guadalajara, Mexico, training at the club's facilities."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/23/s...x=1101244841-UtrXMw7NhFUS+tyQozVzGg&oref=regi

15. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Noonan and Chelsea????? What's in it for Chelsea?

16. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    A decent body on the practice field. Noonan gets some exposure and training time with what I consider to be the world's best club (right now at least). It's a win/win situation.

17. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention reassurance and confidence. For Noonan and Dempsey, the Revs are their first professional team, and it's in the US. Letting them train abroad with other teams (that are known to be top professional clubs) will reassure them that the Revs (or any MLS club) are just as professional as other teams and that boasts well with them. It also allows the players to remain sharp, pick up new skills, and get their name out in the small world of soccer.

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of them use the English ones I think ;)

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It helps them gauge the quality of MLS and young MLS players. Not sure if Noonan is the best choice for that (I'd imagine they are apalled at his first touch), but that's another discussion.

20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe so, but at least he might have some new, interesting things to say to "De Grote Kaas"--or should we now call him "El Queso Grande"--when he's chain smoking and nervously pacing back and forth on the touchline for Los Goatos... :D

Tom

21. jmsullivan

jmsullivan Member

Sep 14, 2000
    Fairhaven Ma.
  22. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    I think he smells horrible ...

23. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    even though the players/MLS may only have the intention of being there to train, why would these clubs bother unless they're going to consider an offer now or in the future?