11/17: USA vs Jamaica WCQ post-match thread, N&A version {R}

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by babytiger2001, Nov 17, 2004.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are the only three in my mind, though I think maybe Cherundolo ought to be, all things consdiered.

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Keep in mind we're holding Donovan to a much higher standard than Corrales. If Corrales had played like Donovan we wouldn't be saying he disappeared we'd be saying he played great. Donovan based on great previous games and is more skilled than anyone else played a quiet reserved game for him. He didn't look as forceful as in the past. Also keep in mind he was playing with Corrales and Ralston who did not hit Donovan when he was open and are not as skilled as other first teamers.

I still think Mullen should have started since Gaven wasn't there. He should play the C.Jones role. Late game winger who has more skills that Jones and hustles just as much. Also keep in mind they played a very strange formation tonight. Gibbs did not play left back. He was more of a left middie and Corrales did not play left wing. He played more centrally next to Mastroeni. It was a weird one for sure. It was more of a 3-4-3 with Donovan pushed up too. Not a good match for Gibbs who is not a winger and Corrales who is not any type of central mid.

3. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Rob Stone gets more eerie as time goes on.. a strange bird...

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh hell yes. Easily the best kit I've ever seen them wear.

5. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Corrales and Mastroeni were playing as twin defensive central mids behind Donovan, so you wouldn't want Mullan playing that position. Better would have been Mullan on the left wing, Sanneh in Corrales's spot and Gibbs in the center of D.

6. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaven was not listed on the U20 roster. Maybe he's out searching for himself a la Mathis last December or maybe he really did go fishing.

7. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Will give my right eye for a winger.

Seriously.

8. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way Apoo, watching Telemundo right now and they listed a time for the replay of the US game as 12:35am/11:35pm central time. I don't know where you're at, but check at 10:35, 11:35 and 12:35 and you'll probably catch the game at one of those times if you get Telemundo.

Right now it's St. Kitts and Mexico on the channel.

9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Spector had to be playing left back and Gibbs moved inside because he was doing the throw ins on the far side. Central Defenders don't run up and do that. Also his little fancy dance was coming in from the sideline way up the field. It looked at times he was playing centrally because there were times we had 6 defenders.

10. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final standings's points:

Group 1:
    USA 12
    Panama 8
    Jamaica 7
    El Salvador 4

Group 2:
    Costa Rica 10
    Guatemala 10
    Honduras 7
    Canada 2

Group 3:
    Mexico 15
    Trinidad and Tobago 12
    St. Vincent / Grenadines 6
    St. Kitts and Nevis 0

11. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    BTW, only 9k at CCS. What's up Columbus? I know it's a Wednesday night match with crappy weather, and it was a pretty much meaningless game, but come on. You better bring it for the hex.

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    And I'll give a right pinkie. Only for a right winger though. I like Beasley and Lewis out left. If we get enough body parts we may be able to have the technology to build one like Steve Austin the 6 million dollar winger.

13. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can get a few good friendlies and a long camp, I wouldn't hesitate to put an all rookie squad on the field, or mixing in just 2 vets max. There is alot of talent coming through and the kids can play.

One thing concerns me though. I have LD written in ink as our #10 (so to speak). Who else can be an offensive threat from the center of the pitch? I see Reyna as a holding mid much more so than an attacking one. Martino needs to get a shot and maybe Gaven too. If/when LD goes to Bayer Lev and can't make a few of the friendly callups, I have no idea how we would perform. That position, RM and LB need more work in my opinion.

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And just as importantly for the USA, zero losses.

Quite a bit of momentum going into the Hex...

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one of those matches where the no results from other matches rule is somewhat difficult because the result of the other game was so important as to how this one was approached (particularly from Jamaica's point of view).

16. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES

17. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    This was probably the last time Corrales will ever wear the USMNT jersey, he was just awful, nothing but a liability, I can't think of any logical reason Bruce would call him in or even worse start him. Ralston wasn't terrible but still he isn't that young either so I don't expect to see much of him anymore. Albright played suprisingly solid, nothing spectacular but no glaring mistakes either, I'd still choose Dolo over him though. SAnneh was off and on, his passes weren't that accurate but he still did his job. Gooch did alright for his first cap, I don't think his first yellow card was deserving, just some bad luck. He'll definitely get called in again, he has to much talent not to. Dempsey looked shaky for the first 2-3 minutes he was on the field but then he settled in and played well. Spector didn't blink once while he was on the field, he took the game in stride wasn't intimidated at all, he looked real composed out there, probably has the best ball control at his feet then any other defender we have. A bit dissapointed but I guess its ok, at least we didn't lose. Hopefully Bruce saw the game the same way we did and won't call up the wrong players anymore.

18. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    I really can't believe I am going to say this....

Albright was the MOTM.

I can't believe I said that.

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    unfortunatly, I don't think my cable package has that. But I'll check it out and make sure...thanks for the heads up!

20. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    Well, Twellman won himself some consideration there, too. :D

Joking aside, I was surprised to find Albright to be the most composed amongst the back three.

Has any other US player ever been ejected on his debute?

21. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    No. Spector played DM. Spector had a number of runs up the field and Mastro was withdrawn to CB to replace the reded Gooch. Dempsey played LM and Gibbs was at LB.

Interesting, he looks like the new JOB to me, but I expanded on this already.

22. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Maybe he shouldn't do so many back flips.

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    only 4 players have played a true central attacking midfield role for USA in recent memory, Landon Donovan, Clint Mathis, Bobby Convey, and Kyle Martino did it for 60 minutes against Cameroon in the ConFed Cup. If Convey looks so bad that Bruce doesn't even name him to the gameday roster after flying in from England I don't expect to see him there anytime soon - or anywhere really, and Martino I don't think is strong enough to play centrally at the international level for 90 minutes. Mathis? the best I can say abot him is that he is an enigma

24. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I assumed Spector was playing left back in a four man back line with Gibbs and Sanneh playing centrally and Albright still on the right.

25. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was telling Kasey to go right... seems he didn't hear me.

Corrales donde estan las vacas?

Albright representin' like he belongs in the mix.

Mastro really is aww dat an'a bag uh chips.

Sanneh's a stopgap.

Dempsey has a future.

Spector has a future.

Grown Ass Man keeps getting it done.

Gooch will have learned a lesson tonight.

McBride will always be McBride.

Bruce Arena starts Johnson and Gooch, subs in Dempsey and Spector, yet he'll still get hammered by the moron nut-jobs about how he ignores the yutes.:rolleyes:

Buh-bye Dyr Maker.