11/16 Say goodbye to your 2 best friends, and I don't mean your pals in the Winnebago

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Wallydrag, Nov 16, 2004.

1. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
  2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  3. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Does anyone have a problem with this? I feel this is something that doesn't quite fit within MLS.

5. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Re: 11/16 Say goodbye to your 2 best friends, and I don't mean your pals in the Winne

Don't the Crew and Wizards have cheerleaders? I know the Quakes had the Tremor Girls this past season.

6. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Finalists selected will be required to pay a $30.00 tryout fee"

Man these guys know how to squeeze every penny they can out of something. They have to pay $30 to "have the privilege of representing Club Deportivo Chivas USA before the community." or at to try out to have the privelege.

Didn't it cost like $50 a person for the Sangre Nueva tryouts?

7. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell no.

8. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what you will about how well DC's midfielders and forwards played on Sunday, but Davy Arnaud had a TERRIBLE game in goal for them!

9. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 11/16 Say goodbye to your 2 best friends, and I don't mean your pals in the Winne

Sigh, just another example of MLS's impure soccer...

10. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regular correspondent Jamie Trecker was under the weather this week, so his father, the former Hartford Courant soccer writer, contributed to this column.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

11. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    It was missing anti-MLS propaganda, so had to have been written Jerry. :)

12. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Screaming Eagles - hundreds shouting like thousands - kept up their chanting, but the bulk of the 25,797 fans produced nothing but a low, almost conversational, hum of voices. And even that tended to be drowned out by the moronic honking of those cursed plastic horns.

Despite the negative sounding headline, he got that part right. If I could give him a positive rep, I would.

But the United have other players ... like Alecko Eskandaria, who scored twice in Sunday's 3-2 MLS championship against the Kansas City Wiz.

Apart from the Davy Arnaud mistake someone else pointed out earlier, who are Kansas City Wiz, and who is Eskandaria? If I could give him a negative rep, I would.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're kidding, right? Hot chicas fit everywhere.

14. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    "We're talking about the D.C. United, the professional..."
    The United? What is a United?

"But the United have other players ... like Alecko Eskandaria, who scored twice in Sunday's 3-2 MLS championship against the Kansas City Wiz. They have former World Cup and Olympian Earnie Stewart. They have goalie Davy Arnaud. And coach Peter Nowak was a member of Chicago's 1998 team as a player, making him the first player to not only win an MLS title as a player, but as a coach as well."
    I found 3 mistakes with that one

"Now you know more about the MLS than you did before reading this
    This guy still knows nothing

15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    He tried, I guess. Where the hell is Palatka, anyways?

16. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Its a Florida paper.... at least there's a blurb about it.... to ask for more at this stage is gonna take some time.... after all look at Nascar 10-15 yrs ago.... these things take steady progress and time....

17. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The irony here is that Nick Rimando used to play in Florida when Florida still had two MLS teams. So, I'm assuming he made quite the impression while he was playing for the Fusion :rolleyes:

18. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the guy made an effort and emntioned United, MLS and the final in a paper that probably does not cover soccer all that much.

19. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ha, ha. I have seen the Tremor Girls, and ChivaGirls will be nothing like them. The establishment of the Tremor Girls was a cautious experiment with adding some sex appeal to the Earthquakes experience without offending the family-friendly, middle class and higher, and most importantly, Bay Area crowd. They are already politically incorrect because the program can be seen as exploiting/objectifying women, or selling sexuality, and some fans have complained. Yet they are far more tame than college dance teams or NFL cheerleaders.

The Tremor Girls are a little stumble across the South Bay's politically correct line. ChivaGirls will be on the other side of the country. Their target audience is used to sex-infused marketing that would make mainstream American audiences squeamish. For samples, watch some post-match interviews on Telemundo or Univision and take a look at the women wearing sponsor's uniforms around the players.

Chivas in Mexico has used Coors/Chivas girls when they've played in L.A.
    Expect skin-tight shorts that are six inches from waist to bottom.

20. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA

And TWINS?????

21. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He made almost no effort.

Look at the bottom. He refers to it as a "world championship". This is an American sports journalist who was probably assigned his job, hated every second, and put no effort into it at all. He could have gone to one site (MLSnet.com), read one article, and did a better job of research.

22. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Alecko Eskandaria? Kansas City Wiz? Goalie Davy Arnaud? "The United"??? No wonder that confounded state screwed up the 2000 election and lost 2 MLS teams.

As a journalism grad, I know it's not that hard to type "MLS" in google and perhaps check my friggin information. Someone should e-mail the guy and make sure he knows that "London Dunivant" doesn't play for the San Jose Clash.

23. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not going to stand still for this. I'm personally going to investigate this issue from top to bottom. I'm going to cover every inch of this story until I get the satisfaction I'm looking for.