11/16 Are you serious?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Nov 16, 2003.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic stuff. Still taking this all in, even six hours after the end result and being an ocean away.

Will try and excerpt my favourite bits from those articles later, but the writers involved with each of those articles-- Dylan Hernandez, Dwight Chapin and Dennis Miller, respectively-- fantastic stuff. Well written, and capturing the passion and fervor that was at Spartan Stadium.

Heart-felt kudos to each and every one of you, from one of your old Bay Area-based media colleagues. :)

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the esteemed Ms. Killion, who has written her third Quakes-themed column in the past ten days or so...

Next Sunday, at the Home Depot Center in Carson, the Earthquakes will play the Chicago Fire. It is the Earthquakes' second trip to the MLS Cup in three years.

A word to the Fire: If you get an early lead, don't feel comfortable.

Or, more like it... be afraid. Be very afraid. :D

And then, another juicy nugget...

Donovan stripped off his jersey, sprinted down the field pumping his fist, somersaulted across the ground and was dog-piled by his teammates. He doesn't know where his jersey ended up.

``It's on eBay right now,'' he said.

That is just plain golden. :D

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: 11/16 Are you serious?

That's weird-- that didn't come up for me. I don't think I have a subscription...

The bit on Nicol was just noting that he just missed the final and the New AMerican Dream is largely about Man U having to defend its claim on the US from Real Madrid and others. Interesting read-- I hope most of you can read it?

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: 11/16 Are you serious?

Wow. That second article sounds very intriguing, indeed.

At the off chance that some subscribed member can access that article, can you PM or e-mail me the text of the copy? Might be worth a squizz (as we say over here)...

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSNet missed the obvious headline for its front page this morning:

Golden State.

Two-word headlines are the best.

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing as I watched last night. Lets hope a lot of folks in the San Jose area get hooked after attending or watching last night.

9. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only thing I can access for free on the "New American Dream" article in the Times is this interesting snippet from Google News:

"... Meanwhile, United continue to compete with Chelsea, and major Italian clubs, in making overtures towards Freddy Adu, 14, the sensation of world youth football ..."

I wonder how up-to-date this note on Freddy is. The British papers were reporting this same info on Adu a couple of months ago, and yet here in the States, all recent reporting/rumor suggests that Freddy may be signing with MLS within the next couple of weeks.

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to the Times, only overseas users are charged to view the paper on line. The Times uses software to identify the country in which the Internet Protocol (IP) of the reader is located.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those bastards!

12. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Every San Jose fan needs to put this in their sig line:

From the Dylan Hernandez article:

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/soccer/7276129.htm

BTW, notice how attendance went UP between games for San Jose.

Sachin

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Requires you to read the whole thread.

15. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    What can you expect from our stingy British cousins?

16. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious Quotes:
    http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/soccer/7276129.htm
    Yallop was so overcome with jubilation that he promised the hand of his unborn daughter -- to no one in particular.
    ``I'll let my daughter -- if I have one -- marry any one of them,'' said Yallop, a father of two boys, referring to his players.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/7276078.htm
    ``If we're not the poster team for MLS, I don't know,'' Troy Dayak said. ``You have to take notice of a team that plays with heart, that plays with integrity.''
    True, but let’s not mix Dayak and integrity together after the half time antics vs. LA
    Great move here
    “``We'd better start selling season tickets right now,'' Coach Frank Yallop said late Saturday night.
    They were, at a table set up inside Spartan Stadium. And anyone who has seen the Earthquakes' past two games would think the $50 deposit was a bargain.”
    Hopefully it is really a turning point (attendance wise) as mentioned a few times throughout the article..

17. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And that's w/ crappy weather on Thurs/Fri./Sat morning and a forecast for rain at game time. (It didn't, at least here in Oakland.) It would've been a bit higher (1,500-2,000) if the weather had been nicer.

Did any of those "move San Jose to X city" posters notice that last night's attendance was 2nd only to LA in the entire playoffs?

18. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC

Thanks for the tip.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't apply to anything in this thread, but it's just interesting:

The Bears are playing the Rams right now at Soldier Field. They "had to" put down the football lines before Friday's fire game, rather than waiting until Saturday, because of the threat of inclement weather this weekend (it is gnarly here right now), even though I don't think I've ever seen a sloppy day wear off NFL football lines.

Anyway, some 40 hours after the Fire game, there's not a trace of the soccer lines on the field.

As much as I love the club level at NSF, I hope the Fire builds their own yard.

20. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're right. Next time I'll stop to read 20 posts as soon as I see an obvious faux pas, just to make sure that I'm not being redundant. ;)

21. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding. The buzz during the week itself was absolutely amazing. Even my mother, who still lives in San Jose and is far from a sports nut, had something very good and observant to say about it midweek, when I spoke to her on the phone.

And another clip from Ann Killion's column in the Mercury-News...

Word has gotten out about the thrilling Earthquakes. On Saturday night, with only six days' notice, 16,108 people found their way to Spartan Stadium. There were 8,000 tickets waiting at Will Call, compared with the usual 500. In their final three home games -- the regular-season finale and the two playoff games -- the Earthquakes drew 46,535.

Hopefully, this attendance pattern will carry over to the start of next season, and we can finally put the "Move San Jose" cliché to bed once and for all. :)

22. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice when the two teams in the championship game are the two best. Look at MLB, a cinderella wild-card has won the last 2 years. SJ and Chi are both terrific, and as a Metros fan I'm jealous. But good luck to both and may the better team win!

23. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Captain Obvious--SJ v. Chi

You do know what this means, don't you? There will finally be another MLS team aside from DC United that has won at least 2 MLS cups.