11/12 - Poland vs Italy [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by SueB, Nov 12, 2003.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I've been so preoccupied with work lately that I didn't even realize this friendly was occurring today. I'm sure it's overshadowed in Italy by the news of the deaths of at least 17 Italians in Iraq earlier today.

Italy's Lineup -

Toldo
    Pancaro
    Cannavaro
    Nesta
    Oddo
    Zanetti
    Perrotta
    Marchionni
    Cassano
    Di Vaio
    Vieri

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Poland leads after 6 minutes. Italy's hearts are probably not in it.

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    2-0 now after 18 minutes. Two headed goals. Looks like Italy's unbeaten record in 2004 is about to go out the window. Thank goodness this isn't a playoff.

Actually, while I was typing, it's now 2-1 as Cassano has replied for the Azzurri.

4. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    My local RAI provider isn't showing the game! Where should I go for the paly-by-play.

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I'm listening to the Italian radio broadcast from

http://www.radio.rai.it/ (click on the Radio 1 link on the right underneath where it says "Ascolta Radio"). It's halftime at the moment.

6. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Thanks alot!

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    BTW, the above starting lineup must've been tentative because Panucci started and not Oddo. But there are several subs at halftime - Oddo in for Pancaro. I think Nesta and Cannavaro are also out.

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    As usual, I'm struggling to understand completely because Nesta is now down injured after a foul (not seriously) so obviously was not subbed. They must've been discussing players who are warming up to come in (Materazzi, Ferrari, Legrottaglie)

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Ah, Materazzi was in for Cannavaro at the start of the second half. Now, Panucci has been replaced by Grosso. Marchionni replaced by Gattuso.

10. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    The starting LineUP:

Italia (4-2-3-1): Toldo,
    Panucci, Cannavaro, Nesta, Pancaro;
    Zanetti, Perrotta;
    Marchionni, Cassano, Di Vaio;
    Vieri.

Subs so far:2nd half
    1' - Materazzi in for Cannavoro
    1" - Oddo In for the Pancaro
    10' - Gattuso in for Marchionni
    10' - Grosso in for the USELESS Panucci
    17' - Miccoli in for Di Vaio

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Also Grosso for Marchionni, right?

No ... confusion reigns.

This is what is on the RAI teletext:

* 46' Materazzi (for Cannavaro)
    ** 46' Oddo (for Pancaro)
    *** 55' Grosso (for useless Panucci)
    **** 55' Gattuso (for Marchionni)
    ***** 62' Miccoli (for Di Vaio)

12. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Looks like the 2nd goal was Trap hero Panucci's fault.

Team sure is missing the skills of Super Pippo , Zambrotta, Buffon and Mauro C

13. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Whats the score now? My Italian is a little rusty...

14. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Still 2-1.

15. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    still 2-1 for Poland ..with 12 minutes to go

16. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    And now 3-1.

17. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ...sigh...I guess the Pole's are representing the Pope or something, how else would Poland beat us..

18. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Guessing the Italian press will put this down as an "experimental" lineup. Which it was, sort of, although the key players up the middle were regulars (Nesta, Canna, Zanetti, Perrotta, Vieri).
    I guess he was seeing how some new faces might integrate - sounds like only Cassano really made a positive mark although I'll have to read the game reports.

I really hope it's the last we've seen of Panucci as a starter. And I never liked Pancaro much either.

Also, I used to think of Buffon and Toldo as 1a and 1b, but now Toldo is definitely a notch below. Not sure if he was to blame on any of the goals, but given that two of them were headed, you'd think he might share some of the blame. Last one was a rebound off the bar.

20. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Toldo didn't have a good day (nor he's having a great season) so it's time for the Trap to give Roma's Pelizzoli or AC Milans's Abbatti a chance for the 2nd friendl.

Here's Gazzetta Dello Sport headlines.

21. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Raisport ratings for the team:

22. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    So, in order:

Good (6.5) - Cassano, Zanetti
    Just OK (6) - Toldo, Panucci, Cannavaro, Nesta, Marchionni, Perrotta, SUBS: Materazzi, Oddo
    Bleh (5.5) - Pancaro, Vieri, Di Vaio

I can see why they didn't rate Bazzani who only got around 8 minutes, but I wonder why no rating for Grosso , Gattuso (both 35 minutes) or Miccoli (28 minutes). IMO, if you can't get involved in the game in that length of time, you must not have made much of an impression.

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    BTW, the Italian press seems not to care too much about this result, focusing mainly on the difficult circumstances of having to play on the same day a serious tragedy has shaken the country. There is apparently even some consideration of cancelling Sunday's friendly against Romania, which is scheduled to be played in Ancona. I expect it will be played, but it will certainly be laden with sadness.

Here is a photo which shows the mood of the players ahead of yesterday's game:

[​IMG]