11/12 CCL: Group B (Colorado, Real España, Santos, Isidro Metapán) [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Nico Limmat, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Colorado Rapids (USA)
    Real C.D. España (Honduras)
    Club Santos Laguna (Mexico)
    A.D. Isidro Metapán (El Salvador)

Discuss...

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santos and Real España.

3. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    ditto ^^^^

La Makina y Santos Laguna.

4. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    1. Santos
    2. Real España

5. jcmenal

jcmenal Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    1.- Santos Laguna
    2.- Real España
    3.- Colorado
    4.- Isidro Metapan

6. Petersontj

Petersontj Member

Jul 24, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado will be hungry and their Supporter's Shield hopes shot.

Santos still has the mexican season to worry about - and they have shown today that they can lose to teams not at their level.

I like Colorado's style of play, against CONCACAF opponents, but we'll see.. for now, my prediction:

Santos/Colorado (toss-up)
    Espana
    Metapan

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    IMO 2nd place in this group will be between Real Espana and Colorado, whoever drops less points to Metapan.

8. PhantomTollbooth

PhantomTollbooth New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Appleton, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Santos seems pretty weak in comparison to the other Mexican teams which makes this one of the more interesting groups. I could see any two of Colorado, Santos and Real Espana coming out of this group based on who plays the best away from home.

This should be a fun group to watch. :)

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Colorado is also the worst US team in the competition. This may be the weakest group, and it's up for grabs.

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Extremely tough call for 2nd here. Losing Casey will hurt Colorado, but I still think they just squeeze in.

1. Santos
    2. Colorado
    3. Real Espana
    4. Metapan

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.concacaf.com/page/CL/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2414237,00.html

Tuesday, August 16
    Santos Laguna (MEX) vs. Real España (HON), 8 p.m.
    Wednesday, August 17
    Colorado Rapids (USA) vs. Metapán (SLV), 10 p.m.

Tuesday, August 23
    Real España (HON) vs. Colorado Rapids (USA), 10 p.m.
    Wednesday, August 24
    Metapán (SLV) vs. Santos Laguna (MEX), 10 p.m

Tuesday, September 13
    Real España (HON) vs. Metapán (SLV), 10 p.m.
    Colorado Rapids (USA) vs. Santos Laguna (MEX), 10 p.m

Wednesday, September 21
    Colorado Rapids (USA) vs. Real España (HON), 10 p.m.
    Thursday, September 22
    Santos Laguna (MEX) vs. Metapán (SLV), 8 p.m.

Wednesday, September 28
    Real España (HON) vs. Santos Laguna (MEX), 8 p.m.
    Metapán (SLV) vs. Colorado Rapids (USA), 10 p.m.

Wednesday, October 19
    Santos Laguna (MEX) vs. Colorado Rapids (USA), 8 p.m.
    Thursday, October 20
    Metapán (SLV) vs. Real España (HON), 8 p.m.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24074557&postcount=18

12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Colorado's forwards are gong to tower over opponents and their midfield can thug it up with the best of them. Plus they won't be bowled over by altitude if they make it out of the group. Even though the Rapids are a mid-table team in MLS, they could be a sleeper in CCL. Of course, they won't beat Santos out for top spot in this group. :D

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. BKR inC

BKR inC Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Australia
    Santos Laguna won today 3-2 against real espana
    Santos scored with goals Juan Carlos Enriquez in ( 28th min), own goal by Sergio Bica (51st min) while Christian Suarez scored the winner in the 74th minute
    Real Espana goals were scored Edder Delgado (42min) and Lalin (68th min) respectively

15. haitifrancepsg

haitifrancepsg New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Torcy, Île-de-France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Santos-Real Espana was a nice game to watch with goals. In the first half Real Espana had the possession and the most of scoring opportunities but they weren't dangerous, the possession was fruitless with too many horizontal passes, not enough depth in the passes, though santos contented itself to defend and play in counterattack. It is like this they scored the first goal despite the goal devied the ball. Real Espana was punished for the ineffiency of domination. After Santos took the possesion but this is at this moment Real Espana scored on a free-kick a domain in which they excelled last night.In the second half, Real Espana played well but there was too many technical waste and there were too defensive approximations for Real Espana and at this level it does not forgive. There are too many approximations defensive, and at this level it does not forgive, as shown in the 2nd which is a gag goal on its own and the 3rd goal when the defender marking Suarez is late at the start of the pass and therefore has a lack of clarity at the time of 1 pass against Suarez when 1 quite easily to score.The scoring opportunities were more dangerous for Santos, were better built with speed and technique in the counter-attacks. In the end, I think Real Espana had the opportunity to do better than a draw if they had used their domination. I think against teams a little higher, this team of substitute Santos would have been much more difficulty.

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Casey out injured, I don't the Rapids forwards will be doing too much towering. Though Cummings and Nyassi may run past a lot of folks.

With Larentowicz and Mastroeni anchoring the CM, I think the Rapids will try to play solid D and counter swiftly with their speed up top.

17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the most disgraceful refereeing decisions I've ever seen going against Metapan in Colorado.

First, a terrible reversal on a PK that could have put Metapan up 3-1 (presumably saying the player fouled in the box was offside, when he clearly wasn't).

And then a highly questionable straight red against Metapan's CF going after a header and making contact with the CB. No way was that a red.

And now Colorado equalizes.

18. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still pumped as a mofo from our win, but wanted to congratulate Rapids on their win as well. MLS 4-0 so far in CCL group play...not shabby.

19. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    The foul that led to the first PK began outside the box I think. That could be argued that it should have been a FK outside the box and not a PK.

The PK reversal, I wouldn't trust what the announcers said, they are known to be wrong:p I think the refs talked and ultimately came to the conclusion that the PK call was wrong and they just reversed the call. I think that if the Metapan player didn't stay on the ground after the call was made he would have left the refs with less time to talk, and they would have been more likely to keep the call as is. I think it should have been a pk though regardless of how much the Metapan player sold the contact and faked like he was injured.

I have no issue with the red card. The Metapan player lead with his forarm at a decent speed and then to add insult to injury once there was contact he actually put more behind it. You can't just ram your forarm and elbow into someone at that speed and then shove it further into the person while having your hand/fist come dangerously close to the players face. Its a dangerous play.

Oh, and you could argue there should have been a foul called against Metapan for running into Colorado's keeper right before their 2nd goal. Granted, the Colorado Keeper still ********ed up badly and the goal was all his fault.

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the PK, Moor clearly clicks the guys ankle/leg, and he goes down. In the box. The AR puts his flag up, and the referee blows his whistle.

If the ref was calling a no call, then it should have been a GK, as the ball rolled out of bounds, I believe. Instead, Colorado had a FK from further out in the area. Why? Fact is, the Metapan player was fouled in the box. Nothing that happened after the fact changes that. And that is a PK.

On the red, it looked to me like the Metapan F was off balance and put his arms up, and the CB definitely embellished it. I'd call a foul there, but not a yellow, much less a red. Much more room to argue on this one, admittedly, as there was contact between the arm and the face, but is wasn't even on the order of winding up an elbow or a deliberate punch to the face.

21. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Wow, we see things totally differently on that red card...

I know the Ref called the foul on the Pk that wasn't. The Ref can confer with the other refs, talk about it and change his mind. That is what I think happened. I agree that the PK call SHOULD have stood. I think it was a foul.

22. dtid

dtid Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ditto. Props to the Rapids for coming back from being down 2-1.

That being said, only one team can ever claim to be the first team to win against a Mexican club on their home soil. :D

But 100% agree - props to all the MLS teams and their success so far.

23. dtid

dtid Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Right on the first criticism, wrong on the second.

I'd be very interested to see what explanation the ref might have for not awarding the penalty directly, let alone after the AR makes the call. On the initial contact, no ball, all foot, certainly hard enough to throw a player running at pace off balance and to the ground.

But you can't lead with an arm like that, and that was a lot of elbow. Add in contact above the shoulder and it is textbook.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the long run bad ref calls usually even out, but we fans Always remember when bad calls go against our teams, and forget/ignore when bad calls go in our favor.

No that what happen in Colorado will stop some MLS fans from complaining that Concacaf refs have a plot to make calls against MLS teams :rolleyes:

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids Line-up: Ceus; Earls, Larentowicz, Nane, Cummings, Thompson, Labauex, Akpan, Holody, Kimura, Palguta.

Real España: Hernandez; Mario Martinez, Rodriguez, Christian Martinez, Maynor Martinez, Lalin, Calderon, Mejia, Tejeda, Delgado, Bica.