100 Caps for Jozy...who's next?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by FlipsLikeAPancake, Jan 29, 2017.

?

Who will be the next player to get 100 caps for the USMNT?

1. Jones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Beckerman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bedoya

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Johnson

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Guzan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kljestan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Cameron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Zusi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Yedlin

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  10. Zardes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Wood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Brooks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Pulisic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, congratulations to Jozy Altidore, who with his start against Serbia today gets his 100th cap. It would have been sooner if not for his many injuries that unfortunately were usually timed around major tournaments.

Altidore is the 17th American man to earn 100 caps, and the 7th member of the 2010 World Cup squad to do so: Donovan, Dempsey, Beasley, Bradley, Bocanegra and Howard.

Fun fact; with Jozy's 100th cap, the United States becomes tied with Saudi Arabia as the nation with the most male 100 cap players.

The question becomes…who is next?

It very well might be a while. In years past, the US didn't have a lot of depth, but played a lot of games, so it's not surprising that many players were able to hit the 100 milestone. But many of our most capped current players haven't had as clear paths.

Beckerman, Bedoya and Kljestan spent years out of favor with various managers only to return in a big way. Jones would have zoomed past 100 if FIFA rules had let him be eligible earlier. Guzan spent years being Howard's back up. Cameron and Zusi were incorporated well into their mid 20s. Guys like Agudelo, Spector and Feilhaber seemed destined to be multi-cycle key pieces but stalled for various reasons. Mix racked up a lot of caps but now can't even get MLS playing time.

Younger players like Yedlin, Brooks, Zardes and Wood are probably more likely to hit 100, though they will need good health and form. Though it's hard to predict. A guy like Zardes in particular I could see being passed by other options and see his national team career stall even if he's young, healthy and playing well.

I think Pulisic will hit 100 as long as he stays healthy (knock on wood). But he only has 11 caps. Will another player beat him there?

I figure this thread could make an interesting time capsule to look back years later when the 18th player hits the milestone....so we can see how wrong we were.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Fabian Johnson would get my vote

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Does Pulisic really have 11 caps? I thought he was on maybe 5 or 6

4. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A plausible choice. He's got 54, and is younger than any of players who have more that are under 100. But I worry that he tends to pick up little injuries that might keep him out of enough games. He's also a wide player, and he's already 29. If he loses speed as he ages, he might get passed by younger options. Then again, I thought Beasley was done when he hit 97 caps, and boy was I wrong.
    Yeah. He first appeared in the 4-0 qualifier against Guatemala off the bench. Then he played in 2 friendlies before the Copa and in 3 Copa games. Since then he played in 4 more qualifiers and the Cuba friendly.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah... he's already 29; has a history of being somewhat injury prone, plays in Europe (which means less availability for games), and is barely past 50 caps. Although he's a huge player for us this cycle... this might and probably should be his last go round.

Of those listed; maybe Yedlin??? It just depends on his longetivity. He should be able to do it, but given that he's a speed player, he might struggle later in his career.

We might have to just wait on Pulisic to be next.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yedlin maybe. Pulisic seems to be an easy pick. I don't know, I thought Johnson was at least at 60.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  7. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thing about Yedlin is I see him as purely a right back. I know he's gotten time at midfield, but I hope Arena puts an end to that. And if that happens, then he basically has to be first choice to get caps, because fullbacks don't get subbed in to games. So all it takes is one player beating him out, and he could miss a lot of games even if he were on the roster. Whereas attacking options tend to rack up a lot of caps even if they are bench options. It will be interesting to see how Arena views him for the coming qualifiers. You never know with a new coach who is going to be favored. But he's certainly young enough, playing well enough and already has enough caps that I could imagine him getting to a 100.