10 Match Celebration Tour

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by skybolt, Jul 6, 2015.

1. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I have a question. For the 2015 celebration tour is the roster limited to the 23 players that participated in the WC? For instance, if a couple of players are out with a minor injury, can players like Dunn take their place for a couple of matches? I realize that the USSF is paying each player $300k so these matches could be considered as a pay back. Also, assuming selections can only be made from the 23 person roster, is it possible to call up other players for the training camps?

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

By the terms of the player agreement, only the 23 player squad gets a share of the tour proceeds.

In the past, players with NCAA eligibility accept nothing or lose eligibility, and if an outside player is brought in to fill an injury or other roster gap, they get a small appearance fee.

And now the moaning starts about Dunn or Morgan Andrews not getting playing time, when they aren't part of any victory.

3. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    It would be nice if they could add maybe just a couple players to the roster even if they don't receive tour proceeds. I think they'd be up for it and it would be a great opportunity for them. Some players on the USWNT may be retiring or taking a break.

skybolt repped this.
  4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I think you have to show up to get a full share, barring injury.

5. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Especially players like Ali Long who did participate in the qualifying round. I'm assuming that 18 players would be adequate for each venue in case 5 players can't make it for whatever reason.

6. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Sydney Leroux was the only new player to make the 2012 Olympic qualifying team from the 2011 WC squad. I'm assuming with the 2015 celebration tour and Olympic qualifying starting in early January 2016, chances are high at least 1 new player will make the 20 person squad. I'm guessing that Rampone, Cheney and Boxx will leave the team or retire after the celebration tour. I'm assuming Abby will probably do the same, which leaves 19. One goal keeper will be cut as well, which leaves 18. I'm assuming Chalup will also be on the bubble, which could potentially mean that we may see 3 new players make the Olympic qualifying squad (Dunn for sure, but who else?). Love Abby, but there's no need to play as a back-up in the Olympics. Bring her into the NBC studios and have her analyze the matches instead.

Dundalk24 and uncchamps2012 repped this.
  7. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    No NCAA players now, but if we had any, they ought to be able to get the cash. Change the rules. They aren't making the money for college play. I think it is time to retire the idea of amateur athletics. Most sports will continue to be amateur because you can't make money in them anyways, but if you can make money playing, more power to you.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

That may be closer than we imagine. Already, the obannon case has made it possible for past players and even current players to profit off their media rights without affecting current eligibility.

9. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Does anyone have a link to info on this ten game tour? I'd love to take my daughters to it.

10. Lola92

Lola92 New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #11 Lola92, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    I am just curious, but why should other players who didn't make the roster play in the victory tour games when you have players on the current roster who they themselves didn't get much field time? I understand giving other players experience etc, but imo you first have to take care of the squad you have. Now would be the time to the players on the roster who might feel like they didn't participate much like HAO etc. Also a player like Dunn plays the defender position in the National Team. There is no way I see Jill playing her over the current defenders she has after they have been praised for their performance.

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because despite the way the USWNT operates due to CBA, etc., the reality is that the new cycle starts NOW and we need to look to the future. With the age of this WWC roster, there will be a good bit of turnover before 2019. Who is going to be on the Olympic roster, and who is going to still be around in 2019? Because of celebration tours, our new cycle typically starts at the beginning of the calendar year for the Olympics; well, on second thought, the USWNT WWC cycle has actually started after the Olympic celebration tour. With eyes on the next WWC, I'd rather see a few young players come in now and use the next year to prep for the Olympics, make that roster and use the Olympics to get their feet wet in a big tournament.

With all that being said, I'm not one for just bringing in all new players just because they're young (e.g. I'm thinking 2-3 new players for the Olympics), but there does need to be some turnover, and the sooner for that process to begin, the better it will be for having more time to develop those new players. As far as Dunn, she can play anywhere. She's been used as a defender in the past, but Ellis doesn't seem to get hung up on playing people just where they've played in the past. :p

FawcettFan14 and Namdynamo repped this.
  12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far, its been rumored that France and Australia will also come over.

Matches confirmed so far:
    August 16, 2015 v Costa Rica 1:30 pm ET (Heinz Field in Pittsburgh): over 30,000 tix sold!
    August 19, 2015 v Costa Rica 6:30 pm ET (Finley Stadium in Chattanooga): already sold out!

13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I agree the Victory Tour games should not be limited exclusively to the 23 WWC players. They will and should get the bulk of the minutes of course. This is their (well earned) celebration. But these games are also valuable learning experiences. Especially for the players who are retiring, I'd like to see NWSL standouts who excel at their positions be brought in and get a taste of the action.

If Ellis is smart she shouldn't assume automatically the Olympic roster will be the WWC roster minus retirements. Starting a little bit this fall, and more so in January, it should be an open competition. I'm not in favor of cutting the incumbent players just because they are imcumbents. I just want them to be pushed. And if the NWSL outsiders brought into camps outplay them, then include them on the roster. Pretty simple.

Namdynamo repped this.
  14. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    August 19, 2015 v Costa Rica 6:30 pm ET (Finley Stadium in Chattanooga): already sold out!............Not sure when it was sold out but when Carli's 3rd hit the net I was banging away on the ticket site to no avail. Soooooooo hello Pittsburgh.
    Hope they swing thru Big D also.

15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard the Chattanooga game sold out in one day.

I would like to see Chalupny get honored for her 100th cap in one of these upcoming games. She hit the mark during the lead up to the WC and it went largely unnoticed. Heath is 2 shy of 100, so maybe Chalupny gets the nod in the first game and Heath in the second if she plays both games.

kool-aide repped this.
  16. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Good sales.... but not yet a sell out. Heinz Field capacity 8s not 35K, and I doubt they have capped sales with a month to go.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  19. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Eh... those guys don't want to play there for some other reasons... jk

20. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea when the next match[es] in the tour will be announced? U.S. Soccer might be wise not to wait too long if they hope to continue to capitalize on the team's current popularity.

21. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    The anticipation is honestly killing me.

Semblance17 repped this.
  22. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here, it's been a while since they played in Los Angeles, I'm hope that's one of their stops!

23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, wasn't the May send-off game against Mexico there?

The LA/So Cal area might still get one though. During the fan rally in LA, there was already speculation that the team would be coming back for a game there in the victory tour. Every full 10 game victory tour (all post-Olympics so far) has included a stop in the LA area. Now with two retirements announced (and possibly another to come?), I'd suspect that they'll try to do some sort of a farewell game for Holiday and Boxx in the last match of the tour. LA would be a good place to do that, and if not for a farewell match LA would still be a nice place to have a homecoming game for Boxx.

On that note, IMO it would be nice to have one of the matches in Indianapolis for Holiday. The WNT has never played there in Holiday's career (they haven't played there since 1998; yes, I had to look that up), and with talk of a future NWSL team there, it could be good to gauge woso fan interest. However, the largest stadium to use there is turf, and I don't know how the Colts would feel about USSF using it; the game would have to be scheduled around their NFL schedule. The next best is using the Indy Eleven stadium that, according to wikipedia, has a capacity of only 12,111.

Tsunami repped this.
  24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wow! Morgan Andrews gets dusted off for a snarky comment. Yes, Dunn should be added to the victory to replace Leroux. Why? Because it's 10 wasted friendlies where the US cant develop any young players. Will the WC players care? Not as long as it doesnt cost them any money. There only real concern would be that giving players like Dunn actual games for the rest of the year my threaten their chances to make the Olympic roster...but hey, that's not too selfish.