News: 10/8/08: Quakes to announce partnership with European Club

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Airblair, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Center Line Soccer:

2. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great. Spurs are in a bad place this year, but they're still a great club. There are several supporters of Spurs among the Quakes' faithful so this is wonderful for us. I hope it does mean some friendlies.

4. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not much of a surprise there since Beane had been making trips to meet with Tottenham's FO earlier in the year to pitch Moneyball.

The way they've been playing lately who knows if they'll remain in the EPL after this year. Maybe we can build partnerships with teams from other leagues as well.

5. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    As raindawg mentioned, we haven't seen any player exchanges from the current MLS/European partnerships and I'm thinking that's due to the European clubs not seeing anything they like so far in the MLS rosters. I doubt a European club would loan a promising young player to an MLS club since our league is still considered as a 3rd level league by other leagues. If anything, they might send us a player that's at the end of his career. European clubs will continue to poach our young talent as long as we cannot compete with the salaries that are given to players in Europe.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing our own Salinas flying down the right-wing in Tottenham and delivering a picture-perfect cross into the box or taking on a defender and finishing with an uncanny shot on goal. :D

6. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think once we're in off season Salinas, Hernandez, Alvarez, Grabavoy and Riley would all benefit from a training stint in London more than they would from resting beat up old bodies, which at least part of our team will be doing.

7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn. I don't see the partnership meaning much. May be in 5-10 years.

8. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So now I'm not supposed to hope they get relegated? Weak...

9. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Tottenham, is it? well, i guess it shouldnt be TOO much of a novelty, considering the Ultras ALREADY use one of their chants. :)

although, does this mean we'll see them visiting us anytime soon? this would be a sweet ticket!

Animo, Earthquakes!

10. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW - what exactly is a "hotspur?"

11. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "In 1882 the Hotspur Football Club was formed by grammar school boys from the bible class at All Hallows Church. They were also members of Hotspur Cricket Club and it is thought that the name Hotspur was associated with Sir Henry Percy (Sir Harry Hotspur) who was "Harry Hotspur" of Shakespeare's Henry IV, part 1, and who lived locally during the 14th century and whose descendants owned land in the neighbourhood. In 1884 the club was renamed Tottenham Hotspur Football and Athletic Club to distinguish itself from another team called London Hotspur."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C.

"with his paternal uncle Thomas Percy, Earl of Worcester, he led a rebellion against Henry IV in 1403, forming an alliance with the Welsh rebel, Owain Glyndŵr. Before they could join forces, Hotspur was defeated and killed at the Battle of Shrewsbury when he raised his visor to get some air (as he was wearing plate armour which restricted air circulation) and was immediately hit in the mouth with an arrow and killed instantly.

Henry IV, upon being brought the body after the battle, was said to have wept and ordered the body buried. Hotspur was buried in Whitchurch, Shropshire, but was later exhumed, by order of the same king, when rumours circulated that he was still alive. His body was first displayed in Shrewsbury, impaled on a spear, but was later cut up into four quarters and sent around all of England. His head was stuck on a pole at York's gates."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_'Hotspur'_Percy

12. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's slang for anything that's really jealous of Arsenal.

13. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ah, people back then really knew how to do things with class.

14. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Great club to choose (though Spurs aren't doing too well atm), but it really doesn't mean anything. Definitely no player exchanges. I don't even think there will be a friendly. Has Arsenal played Colorado yet? :p

Just a business exchange whatever that means.

15. overlookedx

overlookedx Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! Just like what's recently been happening to Tottenham. Keane and Berbatov are split up into two quarters and sent around all of England. The club's next season is stuck on a pole headed for relegation. Which eventually leads to Juande Ramos being impaled on a spear. :eek:

On a more serious note, I hope something good comes out of this deal. A friendly would be nice.

16. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    A fighting cock. . . that's right . . . run with it.

17. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    University of South Carolina Hotspur

18. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tottenham would be a cool partnership. They're on of my favorites in the EPL. Just as long as it's not ROMA! I saw a topic floating around that mentioned that a part owner of the quakes was interested in them. Would be tragic if it were to be Roma.

19. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Ya' know, they just did things a little differently back then.

20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the definition of "tragic" get changed and I not hear about it?

21. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is awesome news for me!....just check my clubs shown to the left------
    -
    <------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

22. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    In 5 to 10 years we shouldn't even want a partnership. If it still would have value by then it means we have failed in growing our league. I don't see it as anything more than a sister city type of deal.

23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't get that, really. Whether the league has "grown" or not, why wouldn't you want to partner with an EPL team if you can possibly swap or cross-train players, collaborate in some way in youth development, share scouting information, trade ideas, etc.?

24. Childs Play

Childs Play Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Behind you,.. BOO!
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm right there with you, though Barcelona and Milan would be my first choices before Tottenham....

<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    San Jose and London? Are you Forrest Williams?

Sister city deals are not like collecting MySpace friends. They actually have some substance.I did some reading after someone here schooled me on that before.