10/7 Nat Borchers, Superstar

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I had no idea Borchers skipped like a girl and wore a bra.

Good article in that hippie rag, the New York Times.

Sachin

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that Cobi Jones was a walk-on at UCLA.

Talk about building a career out of nothing.

3. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    from a great article by Ives Galarcep...

Chicago's loss is Jersey's gain

if link doesn't work.....you have to get it manually.

4. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    Re: Denver Post U-23 article

Mmmm, typolicious... Sunday Oct. 16th? And why would you have a camp the day AFTER a friendly?

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, this is a much better quote from Galarcep's article:

6. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i call it grasping at straws

it's the u.s. open cup... give it an audience... try believing in the product and it's ability to create converts

tells me the ussf doesn't have faith in our product

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you feel the same way if the potential tripleheader were in Los Angeles and not Chicago?

I agree 100 percent with Ives.

8. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Come on... where are all the conspiracy theorist???

The Open Cup is being played in NJ to give the Metros the greatest shot at winning possible.

Is it not that obvious to everyone else?

Why else play it in a stadium with the highest per game rent of any in MLS on synthetic grass?

Obvious bias on the part of USSF to have the Metros win.

9. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    A reliable source (someone who works at DU and has access to student records) tells me that Borchers is still a DU student on scholarship despite the fact that plays professional for the Rapids. If he were a football or basketball player, you'd think this would be a major scandal. Does nobody notice/care since he's a soccer player?

10. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I dunno... but I'm pretty sure you weren't supposed to put that on a message board. Nice one.

11. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    maybe it's an academic scholarship? Doy.

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

more is more

sell the product... don't hide it

the ussf is hiding it

13. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Well, if he suits up for DU and plays, I'm thinking the NCAA might take notice. Other than that, what's the big deal?

If it's an academic scholarship, it's totally unrelated to his athletic pursuits. Even if it's a soccer scholarship that he's finishing up school with - no issue. He earned the scholarship with his tenure on the DU soccer team and now DU is holding up it's end of the deal and paying for the costs for him to finish his education.

I'm not sure you understand how scholarships work.

14. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I dunno. I'm biased but I think Chicago probably would've supported the Open Cup better anyway, as it's shown in the past. That seems to me to be a reasonable criteria for awarding it.

But it's kinda ironic if Chicago fans bitch too much-- we've benefitted from some fairly low-down USSF Open Cup shenanigans ourselves. Fact is, it's not a competition ruled by fairness or logic-- it's still struggling despite all of its history-- but for that very reason, Ives is off-base.

But this is why I think the guy's probably the best soccer sportswriter out there. He's not afraid to go out on a limb and state an actual opinion; more importantly, he's done his research to back it up.

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They weren't selling the product. They were adding it on to something already going. That's as much hiding it as putting it in the Swamp.

If they were so concerned about promoting this game, they would have announced it first, let the USOC fans get the best tickets, then added a match to the bill. It was an afterthought.

16. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    you really think wilt and company didn't know that the 15th was the date for the open cup final?

to make it a show, you gotta have people

as it is, i expect 5000 for the final

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe.

I would like to point out that athletic schollys are a series of one year deals, renewable at the school's discretion. So DU is under no obligation.

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know they knew the date, but hey planned other things first, were (allegedly) going to give those things a better timeslot in the scheme of things and sold tickets to people interested in that game first.

5,000 when that's what they are there to see is fine with me. You don't build interest making it a secondary part of a larger event.

You really think the Mexican or Uruguyan fans would care oneiota about this game?

19. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Chicago has hosted two Open Cup finals in the past five years. One of those finals (1998) should have been held in the only soccer-specific stadium in MLS at the time (Crew Stadium). It's time that another team gets an opportunity to host the final.
    Fire fans have no reason to complain.

20. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    See the post above this one. Thus the crickets on said conspiracy.