10/4 Reyna: ManCity @ Wolves [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Treetaliano, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, except for the unjust Sunderland comment, you can't expect their fans to be happy about losing to Wolves. No one's going to let their team slide with a performance like that.

2. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Agreed. Miserable performance all around. It would have been a little nicer, though, to have read a bunch of reviews saying that the lone bright spot was Reyna, versus reviews where he was rated either the worst or second worst player on the pitch.

At least many fans seem to have thought his performance was an aberration, saying things like "he is much better than that".

He did follow up that awful reserve match (I don't know if *he* was that awful, but the team was) with a pretty nice game versus Lokeren. Hopefully he'll see the pitch and perform well in the next match.

3. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I hope he IS still "much better than that."

My favorite American player for some time, but age advances, and it is a serious injury to come back from. The Man City fans haven't seen him in good form yet so it is typical they will begin to criticize him.

Here's hoping he comes back strong, but I don't think it is unfair to have some doubts begin to creep in.

4. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant to say a GOOD result for mankind..Ooops:(

5. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Force of habit, no doubt. Just repeat to yourself: Wolves won, Wolves won. :D

6. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    I think I know the place jclampit got his ratings from, and they now have a thread discussing Keegans buys, and how they rate. Most have a "Jury's still out" type of rating for Claudio, so the fans don't appear to have given up on him yet after the bad display this weekend.

7. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Keegan rated Claudio's performance

A40 and I do frequent the same Man City board, heh. It's the best one I've been able to find so far. According to an article quoted on it today, Keegan thought one of the lone bright spots was Claudio's play. Just goes to show you how drastically different opinions can be among people who've watched the exact same game, heh.

http://www.talkincity.com/steh/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=12291&

Fortunately, Keegan's opinion is the one that matters the most. He still believes in squad rotation, but based on his assessment of Claudio's play you've got to believe he'll see his fair share of playing time.

Also, I've read that Wolves overloaded the midfield, making it seem at times like there were 5 Wolves versus SWP, Claudio, and Sibierski. No wonder there was nobody to pass to.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Keegan rated Claudio's performance

Who ya gonna believe...some a$$ scratching internet shut-in or Kevin Keegan?

9. Re: Re: Keegan rated Claudio's performance

lets not go there

10. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might have to savour this one victory for a long time. :(

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I find this thread so typically BigSoccer.Afetr City plays a bad game everyone says how badly Claudio sucked- except people who actually watched the game said how well he played! By the way, Manchesteronline rated Claudio as one of two City players with "good" ratings.So it was not just Keegan who rated CR.

12. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    People, settle down.

13. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Hey! Put my post back! It had nothing to do with the little spat going on, I cracked myself up!

;)

14. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    And don't call me people!

15. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    I'm a real person, ya know, with feelings! Not just a 'people'!

Dammit.

16. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Sheesh, it was just a little humor, ya know.

I know, I know, VERY little humor...;)

17. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Insulting big soccer generally with no basis stays, calling someone on it gets deleted. THAT is so typical big soccer.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    there is a big difference that you might consider.You used a direct obscenity at someone whose post you disagreed with.If you and I disagree about anything, it is fun to argue about it. Blast away.But obscene language merely makes it a shouting match ,unpleasant and there is no further exchange of ideas. So, it is not a good idea.

19. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I'm sorry I offended your virgin sensibilities, Bruce, and your original post was hardly an "exchange of ideas". It was a straight insult towards everyone who participated in this thread before you based on a fabrication to make yourself seem smart and reasonable.

20. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    People, people!

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am giving up on this one.

22. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you should have said that without the crude personal attack. Explain why the post makes no sense or whatever, don't attack the poster. It's not that hard.

23. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    Good!

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If Reyna did indeed have a less than stellar match (and I didn't get to see it so I can't say, but losing to wolves is a less than stellar match for everyone, if ya ask me) he probably picked the right week for it. Bosvelt has a chance of going 90 for Holland with Davids not available. Wright-Phillips apparently owrked hard today for the kids. Macca is supposed to be healthy by mid-week, but KK might hold him back unless needed. Barton can't play for the kids I don't think, so he could go in if Bosvelt plays the whole game for Holland (not that it's going to be all that challenging a match - one hopes anyway.)

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Shaun W-P went 90, Bosvelt did not play for Holland. KK gave an interview suggesting that Bosvelt, Reyna and a few others had not yet fully integrated into the team and still had a bit more to bring. I didn't catch any hidden clues about starters for the Belgium match. Macca still supposed to be ready, but I'd reserve judgement till day of.