10/3 New York City? Get a rope

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Oct 3, 2003.

1. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Fire to close Naperville run vs. Galaxy - Chicago Sun-Times

Win still nets losses: Revs lose players while beating Columbus - Boston Herald

Changes keep hitting lineup - Denver Post

Victory boosted Wizards' morale - KC Star

The Mia Generation - LA Times

Canada Stuns China and Itself - LA Times

Youth served at Foxboro, World Cup - Standard Times

Cup Q&A with ex-coach - USA Today
    "There will be a league next year"

Today's woefully naive college sports columnist:
    Golden age to be a Minnesota sports fan - Manintou Messenger -- St Olaf College's Weekly Newspaper
    Apart from his aside about soccer, apparently, he's too young to remember the year and a half that the Superbowl, Stanley Cup Finals, Final Four, and World Series were all played in Minnesota (including a win by the 1991 Twins over Atlanta)...

2. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't even know where to begin with that kid from st. olaf's college...

forget the bs he wrote about mls, he called green bay a bad sports town?!? that's crazy talk.

and last time i checked, the braves have won at least one world series in their current run of "heart-breaking post season defeats." the falcons also appeared in a superbowl as recently as 1998.

hopefully, this kid will change his major and never write again.

3. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I get the feeling that some of these little kids write some of that stuff just SO they can see people rant on BS about it.

Hey kid, wake up and get me my fries.

4. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy is in college. Remember how you used to handle deadlines in college?

You'd procrastinate until the last day, then you'd hang out in a friend's room till midnight when someone decides to get some food. Then around 2am, you start to actually write something. Then, after two paragraphs, you decide you'll grab just a few hours of sleep and wake up in time to write the article before the 10am deadline. Then you oversleep till 9:30am. Call the paper asking for an extension until noon. They give it to you so now that you believe you have SO MUCH time, you decide to go for a late breakfast. Then around 11am you start to pound out the last 3/4 of the article. At this point, you don't have anytime to do any proper research or smartly compose your thoughts. You just want to fill the "words minimum" and get it into your editor so you can get over to your friend's apartment for some video games and drinking.

That's why the article stinks.

Murf

5. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang it, that's too long for a sig. Nicely done!

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I agree that 1991 was a pretty good year to be a Minnesotan sports fan, his statement: "For the first time in the states’ 145-year history, all four professional teams have a chance to make the post season in the same year." is accurate, is it not?

Did the Vikings play in the Superbowl that was held at the Metrodome back in Jan '92? Nope. Washington beat Buffalo that year.

Did the T-Wolves make the playoffs back then? Nope. They had a .183 record.

So while quite a few big time events were played in Minnesota in 1991-1992, only two of them, the World Series and the Stanley Cup, involved Minnesota teams.

7. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: 10/3 New York City? Get a rope

true true, but the Vikings haven't made the playoffs yet, probably will still stink (4-0 due to poor opposition?), the Wolves still lost in the first round, the Wild were great and the Twins are great, but I don't think there's going to be a single championship appearance by any of them. In short, how many big time events are going to be in MN this year?

So really, the author would've been much better off mentioning the Thunder.

I guess, VW, the "we've got it all" attitude in Minnesota bothers me most because I'm from there and realize how little some of those jacknuts know about the rest of the country...

9. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    This article made me sick... How can anyone be allowed to prints such garbage. I wish I had known that thats all it took to be a writer... i would of become one myself.

10. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Fixed your post.

I should HAVE become a copy editor.

All in good fun :)

11. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I had known that that's all it TAKES to be a writer... i would have become one myself.
    ;)

12. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    You missed some errors. I hope you enjoy your day job.

13. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

You know, when columnists go into their "I'm being contrite and sympathetic when I say MLS sucks and will never succeed" shtick, I always wonder why they never throw MISL or MLL or AHL into the mix. That MLS gets a mention at all just makes me happy.

14. porkrind

porkrind Member

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My entire 4 years of college, distilled into one sorry post on a soccer bulletin board

*sigh*