10/25 'Dolo: Hannover - 1860 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Treetaliano, Oct 25, 2003.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How? By playing out of his mind in two World Cups, that's how.

2. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall in teh game against Honduras at RFK (September of 2001) he played (as opposed to what the lineups said) in a right midfield role and that does seem to be where he may end up with the Nats (proivded he gets another shot).

3. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    He sort of sucks for C-bus and C-bus sort of sucks too. You actually need some skills to play in the Bundesliga.

4. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Yes, and in that Honduras game, he served a beautiful cross for the U.S.'s first goal, IIRC.

5. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Have you watched any MLS this season? He has been far and away the best player on Columbus all season.

6. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    You are entitled to your opinion. I saw him twice in person in Chicago and felt perfectly safe when he had the ball. His defense I felt was only adequate. Other than that, I saw C-bus maybe twice. In 23 games and 2100 minutes of play, he scored no goals and registered a whopping 4 assists. In the games I saw, he was playing primarily in the midfield so if that was his primary position for C-bus, his offensive statistics are pretty poor (though I acknowledge there is a lot more to the game than stats). This does not strike me as far-and-away anybody's best player, even Columbus.

7. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    While I do not agree that Hejduk has "sort of sucked" for C-bus, I also do not agree that he's been the team's best player. My nomination for that distinction would go to either Buddle or McBride.

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that Hejduk ever played in the midfield for Columbus. That's the way right backs play in a modern 4-4-2, especially with Hejduk's wheels.

9. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    How can someone as sorry as Scholl play for the German Nats? Listen bro consider yourself luck that your national side didn't get humiliated in the World Cup.

10. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    You didn’t pick out the best example. Scholl was a starter on a CL winning team and retired from playing for Germany before the WC.

11. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    The same Mehmet Scholl that was called the most feared player at BM by Real Madrid in 2001?

The only time the german NT had players in its squad that are far, far away from being good bundesliga players was during that strange US-trip some years ago when the US beat us 3:0, with germany having second league players on the field, cause over 20 other players denied to make this trip.

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Memory or veracity problem?

Here is the german lineup for that game in the US where the US won 3-0.

Oliver Kahn, Lothar Matthaus, Markus Babbel, Marko Rehmer, Alexander Zickler (Marco Bode 46), Jens Jeremies, Carsten Ramelow (Christian Nerlinger 46), Lars Ricken, Andreas Moller, Michael Preetz, Olaf Marschall.

http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/1999/games/feb06.htm

Even a casual observer of the German game would know who these guys are.

Now, which of these were "second league" players?Maybe they were on vacation, but all of these guys were legitimate choices for the best Germany had to offer at that time.

In five more years, the Germans will probably tell the story of how their Girls Under 19 team played this game.

13. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Looking back at the game summaries, I think you're correct.

14. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    I must apologize, I didn´t mean that game, but this strange cup in mexico.But Hey: The line up you got here is still awfull!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Preetz, Marschall, Ricken, Nerlinger, Zickler, Rehmer, Andreas Moeller(32yo).
    They all suck!!!!!!
    I also think that Ramelow sucks, but you would imediatly tell me that he is a regular starter right now, but that doesn´t mean he is good, just that Voeller has a crush on him.......

The line up I was talking about is:
    Lehmann(in his worst days), Woerns(in his worst days), Linke, Schneider(still with Frankfurt), Wosz(32yo), Matthaeus, Gerber(2.league)(Maul/2.league), Heinrich(always bad in NT)(Dogan/his last game for NT), Preetz, Heldt(remember him???)(Rink/now at Cyprus)

Looks crapy, is crapy!!

15. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, that two games in the same year, both with supposedly crappy lineups. I think we can safely say there was bad coaching and Germany had personnel issues at that time.

But only one guy in both games played in the 2nd division and the lineup is littered with supposed stars from Bayern, Dortmund and Leverkusen, the giants of German soccer.

16. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    bad coaching is very euphemistic!

Erich Ribbeck was the worst national coach Germany ever had! He was also responsible for the EM-2000 failure.

Man was he bad............and stupid.

It´s incredible what teams he was allowed to coach: Leverkusen, Bayern Muenchen, Dortmund and the German NT, without having real success (despite the uefa-cup 1988, while becoming 8th in Bundesliga)